Options

Is CCNA worth it

phorriganphorrigan Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
hey guys,

I have MCSA messaging 2003, MCITP: messaging a+ and windows mobile, and I'm trying to decide if i should go for ccna, I want to be a sys admin, and i dont really have alot of networking exp besides what i've just set up labs for, you think ccna is something that would benefit someone who just wants to be a sys admin?

Comments

• Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yes, its worth it imo. Probably not the day to day stuff of a sys admin but its highly looked upon and is a good cert to go side by side with your MS stuff. If you dont want a networking career or dont use much networking on a day to day basis then its not worth going any further than CCNA.

Good luck.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    nel wrote:
    Yes, its worth it imo. Probably not the day to day stuff of a sys admin but its highly looked upon and is a good cert to go side by side with your MS stuff. If you dont want a networking career or dont use much networking on a day to day basis then its not worth going any further than CCNA.

Good luck.

+1
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    Yes, it would certainly benefit you, as the more knowledge you have the better you're going to be at your job.

IMO, every sys admin should understand the fundamentals of networking, which is basically what the CCNA consists of.

I've dealt with too many admins who can't even apply basic networking theory to troubleshooting situations.

That said, only you can decide whether it's relevant to your job. If you're the admin of an existing network where nothing new is being implemented and you have a firm grasp on everything there, you're probably not going to "use" the material you learn as much as someone who is troubleshooting different networks daily.

Hope this helps.