A+/Net+ Vs MCDST...

GStarGStar Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am new here, I am in college pursuing my Microsoft Network Administration degree.. I was wondering if I want to start getting certs, which cert should I start with? an A+/net+ or the MCDST? Because I dont want to pay $150+ for a certification thats going to deteriorate over time. What do you guys suggest?
Brain, what are we going to do tonight?.. the same thing we do every night Pinky... Try to Take Over the World..

Comments

• mamonomamono Member Posts: 776 ■■□□□□□□□□
    A+/Net+ are vendor neutral certs that are for life.

MCDST is Microsoft specific cert that is only valid for as long as WinXP is actively used.

Either A+/Net+ or MCDST satisfies an elective credit for MCSA/MCSE. It is to your benefit to get either one, though why not get both? If you are studying for Microsoft Network Administration, you'll have to study all the flavors of Microsoft NOS' (Network Operating System).
  • skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    if you have the funds for it, I agree - got for all of them. A+ & Network+ will be good for life, although the combo will cost you much more than $150. If you get discount vouchers, it's about $300USD for the two A+ exams and about $200 USD for the Network+.

Are you also going for an MCSA in the future? If so, then you could also use the A+ & N+ combo to act as an elective for the MCSA on Server 2003 - you'd only have to take the 70-290 & 70-291 & one OS exam after the A+ & N+.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • MikeInMoseleyMikeInMoseley Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    mamono wrote:
    A+/Net+ are vendor neutral certs that are for life.

MCDST is Microsoft specific cert that is only valid for as long as WinXP is actively used.

Either A+/Net+ or MCDST satisfies an elective credit for MCSA/MCSE. It is to your benefit to get either one, though why not get both? If you are studying for Microsoft Network Administration, you'll have to study all the flavors of Microsoft NOS' (Network Operating System).

Just to clarify, MCDST will act as an elective for your MCSA but it would not could towards your MCSE. You would have to pursue another elective in this case.
    Opps, I suppose that would justify as a brain fart. Good to know. ;)
  • GStarGStar Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've already taken A+, Network+, Vista, Server, and choosing Security+ and Project Management as my electives..
    Brain, what are we going to do tonight?.. the same thing we do every night Pinky... Try to Take Over the World..
  • skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    GStar wrote:
    I've already taken A+, Network+, Vista, Server, and choosing Security+ and Project Management as my electives..
    wait, do you mean you've taken the exams or do you mean you've taken those classes, or that you've selected those options?

And in rereading this thread, I just realized that my previous post basically restated what mamono said...DOH, looks like I had a brain fart of my own there... :D
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
    I hear an echo in here! :P