Options

Field work jobs - something fishy going on?

TalicTalic Member Posts: 423
During my search for a entry level IT job it seems like I've came across 2 or three field work jobs. The other two contacted me 2 or 3 months ago before the market came down and now another one is calling. The first two made me kinda specious by the way the interviewer talked to me on the phone, he asked would ask me things such as "are you sure your interested in this position?", "how about you set up this software on a 2nd computer and see if you want to do this".

The most recent one sounded a bit unsure also, he wants me to go down and see if I would like to do the actual work, tag along from what I understood. Which I found odd since most jobs just want to interview you when they first see you.

It sounds like to me that they have a high turnover rate for field technicians for whatever reason, so they take less experienced people to do the driving and such for their business, does this sound about right or am I just being over suspicious?

I think I may need to do field work until the recession is over since regular IT work is in short supply in a city that doesn't care for technology unless it helps them with their slot machines or their light and water displays icon_rolleyes.gif

Comments

• Options
    TryntotechitTryntotechit Member Posts: 108
    I personally would go and tag along. What's the hurt in that? Maybe it will fit you perfectly.
    Taking 70-294 very soon...again
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Police Officers are allowed to have ride alongs. Nothing fishy about a company wanting to see if you'd like the position. Why waste all that time training someone when you can find out right off the bat if they want the job.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    I wish more companies would ask you to do some shadowing before making you an offer. It would help immensely with getting competent help that would be scared off so easily.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    undomiel wrote:
    I wish more companies would ask you to do some shadowing before making you an offer. It would help immensely with getting competent help that would be scared off so easily.

I could see that being an issue and an easy target for some social engineering if someone is looking to breach the company. I agree though it would be nice if that was done more often so you know exactly what your getting yourself into, because you never really will know with some places.
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    There are lots of phishing scams that go through "recruiters" via monster, telecomcareers, linkedin, etc. I get contacted once or twice a week for "level one desktop support" via email and phone phishing. Yeah, I'd love to take your $9/hr position to install printers. icon_rolleyes.gif
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/