Which ISP's limit bandwidth?

binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
I could use some help here as I'm preparing a doc on Internet bandwidth.

I'm interested to know which ISP's in US, Europe or anywhere else for that matter limit bandwidth to customers? ISP's such as Comcast, Charter, Roadrunner, AT&T, BT and etc.

Canada's largest ISP, Rogers does limit bandwidh allowing 60GB/month.

Comments

• gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Hey

Pretty much all ISP's have cap's in the UK.

Check out

http://dslzoneuk.net

There's a ISP Comparison link on the left, so you can look at groups..

http://dslzoneuk.net/isp_comparison.php

That should do it.
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    From reading your post i would make it slightly more clearer as it sounds like you are talking about bandwidth USAGE caps whereas the question is written to sound like bandwidth SPEED. Can you define which you are talking about?

I can only assume your talking about usage caps there? if so, then im unlimited and have no cap. Every company has a fair usage policy to some extent but i know a guy who downloads over 100GB a month (im not jkn) and he never gets any hassle!!!
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
    nel wrote:
    From reading your post i would make it slightly more clearer as it sounds like you are talking about bandwidth USAGE caps whereas the question is written to sound like bandwidth SPEED. Can you define which you are talking about?

I can only assume your talking about usage caps there? if so, then im unlimited and have no cap. Every company has a fair usage policy to some extent but i know a guy who downloads over 100GB a month (im not jkn) and he never gets any hassle!!!

His first post mentioned 60GB/month so assumed usage caps.

Funny story.

I actually went from a 2Mb service with Pipex to ADSL Max 8Mb. Within 4 weeks of being on there, despite paying something rediculous like £40 for it, I had a letter telling me that they were going to cancel my service for unfair use icon_neutral.gif What made me laugh was that I was on "Unlimited" but they couldn't tell me how much I'd used or anything like that.

I immediately cancelled the direct debit, and a few days later, I started having phone calls telling me that I owed them money! - Basically I started a new contract, and they wanted me to pay the balance as I had been cut off £400!

As far as I was concerned they weren't going to get another penny out of me, and I would have taken them to court.

Apparently not long after they were bought out by Tiscali, so I wonder if the two events were inextricably linked...

Anywho at the moment I am with an ISP that actually states how much you can download a month (much easier) I get 360GB a month of bandwidth for £20

However, I am changing ISP next week, going to another one to get 16MB, Unlimited, NO Fair use policy, and get this... £10 a month. Can't be bad, can it./
    16mb aint bad at all. I could get that if i moved to virgin media as i live in the city centre. my mate has the cable fibre and he gets 19mb and says it sh*t hot, but at the moment im stuck in a contract with my provider but i get my internet for free :D 8mb unlimited. they are a crap company but because i live in the centre i get good adsl speeds and service. so its more than enough for me.

• binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
    nel wrote:

Good point! Yes, I'm talking about usage cap and that's why I gave 60GB/month as an example. But good catch icon_lol.gif
  • binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
    gorebrush wrote:

I get 360GB a month of bandwidth for £20

However, I am changing ISP next week, going to another one to get 16MB, Unlimited, NO Fair use policy, and get this... £10 a month. Can't be bad, can it./

When I read you get 360GB/m, I said wow that's awesome. But you're not satisfied and you want more. There must be some competition insanity among ISPs in your area which you and I as customers don't mind.
  • BarryprBarrypr Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    6mb no cap for 40euro, my freind has 24mb for 60euro
    binarysoul wrote:
    gorebrush wrote:

When I read you get 360GB/m, I said wow that's awesome. But you're not satisfied and you want more. There must be some competition insanity among ISPs in your area which you and I as customers don't mind.

In the UK you find quite a bit competition but most ISP's cap usage on there entry products but once you start paying decent money you get "unlimited" usage. Thankfully BT doesnt monopolise the market like it used to so we get some competitive deals compared to the old days. However they own most of the infrastructure still and have begun rolling out fibre-to-home and have only done so because i think the government has pretty much guaranteed them a generous return...in otherwords we are going to get screwed yet again.

binarysoul wrote:
    gorebrush wrote:

Actually my usage is capped in two slightly different ways.

I get 330GB/m to use "off peak" - that's 10PM - 8AM daily, and all weekend
    I only get 30GB/m to use "on peak" which is 8AM - 10PM Mon - Fri

That sucks.

Aside from that, I dont download anywhere near 360GB/m

Recently i've suffered a lot of disconnections by the Router, and slowness down to 2Mb

After seeing I could get a 16Mb service which is totally uncapped at half the price - well, it's a no brainer.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    www.dslreports.com is an excellent site for ISP-related information.
  • RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Down here they all limit it - in more ways than one. Most plans are with very slow upload speeds usually 256 but 512 becoming more the norm. They also offer 'unlimited speed' plans - that are heavily limited IMHO. Plans that have no data cap (or very high ones) usually have a clause that states the ISP can limit speeds if 'unfair' usage is taking place - in other words you WILL get limited if you do any downloading.

The worst offender if the big boy on the block - Telecon Xtra.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You may laugh if you wish.. Take a look at the wonderful packages that we have in the other side of the world.

1: Batelco, The dominant Telco.
    http://www.batelco.com/packages.asp

The top of the range will cost 60 BHD "160 US$" .. @ 2 MB unlimited usage
    read the fine print .. 25 GB Cap after which the speed drop to 256kbps
    http://www.batelco.com/fup_bro.asp
    icon_rolleyes.gif

we have 3 more ISPs, the price and services is almost the same .. there execuse is "This is a small market and we can not go cheaper"

icon_rolleyes.gif
    What country is that ^^ ?
    Kingdom of Bahrain.
    https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/ba.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bahrain

and if you think that we swim in pools of oil and have too much money to spend on lousy DSL connections think again, the average monthly salary here is around 1000 US$
    Ah well, saves me looking to going out there... I think I make around... $2750 a month
    gorebrush wrote:
    Ah well, saves me looking to going out there... I think I make around... $2750 a month

Tip icon_idea.gif : i wouldnt post personal information like that on the web unless you want someone coming round and stealing your possessions cos of the faulse impression that your loaded ha! icon_wink.gif

gorebrush wrote:

Actually if you are "western" you can make more than that + other allowances, the average I stated is for mortal locals icon_rolleyes.gif

Back to the topic .. 3 other "New" ISPs

MENATELECOM
    http://www.menatelecom.com/

&
    light speed
    http://www.lightspeed.com.bh/offerandprices.php

these 2 may appear cheaper / faster but the service level is questionable.

The third company does not have the prices in english on the website! but it is in the same range.
    http://www.bh.zain.com/cgi-bin/zain/webportal/homepage
    look at zain@home

Note 1 US$ = 0.377 BHD
    nel wrote:
    gorebrush wrote:

Tip icon_idea.gif : i wouldnt post personal information like that on the web unless you want someone coming round and stealing your possessions cos of the faulse impression that your loaded ha! icon_wink.gif

Yeah, but that's before I pay taxes icon_sad.gif
  • photexphotex Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've got no badwith limit, and got an 60 Mbit line icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
    Great for downloading !! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
    Really fast as hell!