Good Study Habits?

garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
I'm currently a Systems Admin who also is learning the Cisco gear & VLANS at work. I have a hard time actually studying for exams, I'm whipped when I get home & the last thing I want to do is get on a PC. I would rather discuss work at the bar, golf, shop, or relax. If I could just cram for 2 weeks, I'm set. I have to set a date with Prometric a month ahead of time & I still wait till 2 weeks before studying. Anyone understand? Where do you fit the studying time in with social life? you feel me?

Comments

• lazyartlazyart Member Posts: 483
    No matter when I schedule my exam, it's the last 7-10 days that I study with any urgency. I've just come to accept this. If I don't set a date then I won't get serious about hitting the books. At the same time I don't like making my appointment until I am ready.

Silly circle. A goal is just a dream with a deadline. I understand myself more after going thru 4 cert exams. Just the way I am.
    I'm not a complete idiot... some parts are missing.
  • garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    I hear you. Your currently studying 70-290 also? Hows that going?
  • keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    i hear you i'm 5 chapters left in todds book for ccna, and should have finished it last week but i have had life kick in .. not been able to work in my home lab due to waiting on parts ( cables and wics) but after i get over being sick icon_redface.gif i should get the focus back
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • tahjzhuantahjzhuan Member Posts: 288 ■■■■□□□□□□
    i play cbts right before i go to sleep...

then i wake up like "dns?"

it's crazy, just do it in moderation
  • xeviousxevious Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I try to get most of my studying done at work, not so much a disregard for my duties... but the topic is close enough to where it's applicable.

Outside of work... It's tough. The best I can do is bring material in the car, go the mall, and find a seat somewhere while the wife hit the clothing stores.

However, I have to say - the biggest push for me has always been 'this place stinks and I need to get a new job' situation... when that happens, I seem to find a LOT of TIME to study.

-Xevious
  • skully93skully93 Member Posts: 323 ■■■□□□□□□□
    garv221 wrote:
    I'm currently a Systems Admin who also is learning the Cisco gear & VLANS at work. I have a hard time actually studying for exams, I'm whipped when I get home & the last thing I want to do is get on a PC. I would rather discuss work at the bar, golf, shop, or relax. If I could just cram for 2 weeks, I'm set. I have to set a date with Prometric a month ahead of time & I still wait till 2 weeks before studying. Anyone understand? Where do you fit the studying time in with social life? you feel me?

I completely understand!

for one, I am a lowly tech in a rural town, where the term "active directory" makes most people think you're trying to sell them insurance.

For two, I work 10 hours a day most days, and ride my bike multiple miles home. Then I teach martial arts to kids. The last darn thing I want to do, even on a weekend, is study. Its taken me 2 months to get through the 270 book and the learnkey material, and I'm still not quite ready.

Just keep thinking: this will be better for me and mine a while down the road. A little extra effort now means I can get laid off with more severance later.... :)
    I do not have a psychiatrist and I do not want one, for the simple reason that if he listened to me long enough, he might become disturbed.

-- James Thurber
    garv221 wrote:
    I hear you. Your currently studying 70-290 also? Hows that going?

Yep, I'm um.. studying for 70-290. Everything I've looked at so far is only slightly different over XP.. in fact, if the free retake was still going on I would take it cold and see what I came up with.

I'm going out of town this weekend. 2 hr flight, should bring my book with me for the flight but my recent work load (9-10 hour days is the norm) plus being a single dad means I ain't thinking about anything else but R&R until next week.

Late November or early Dec I will take 290. 291 (and the resulting MCSA) by Feb 1. I will use Exchange as my elective for MCSE landing sometime next summer.

Or sooner if I just set a date already. icon_wink.gif
    I am glad I'm not the only with a life besides Computers. icon_lol.gif
    Lazyart, I plan on taking it (290) here before Nov. I will let you know how it goes. I wish they were still doing the free retake, I would also just go take it. I think I'm going to do my exchange for an elective also in MCSA. I work on exchange all day, actually just hooked smart phones up to it for email anywhere & anytime.
  • drewm320drewm320 Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I try to get most of my studying done at work, not so much a disregard for my duties... but the topic is close enough to where it's applicable.

Agreed. Whenever there are any slow days at work, studying is an easy way to keep busy. As long as the material can be related to your job, how can anyone fault you. You're just trying to make yourself a more productive and valuable employee.

I also happen to go out of town overnight often for work and usually there's not much to do in the hotel. I can usually put in some solid study time there.[/quote]
  • skaeightskaeight Member Posts: 130
    This thread motivated me to schedule my 70-270 exam. I was slacking a little bit since I passed my net+ exam. Now I can get focused again. I sincerely believe the only way to do it is to schedule the exam first. I was studying for A+ for 5 years because I never scheduled the exam!
  • keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    i'm definitely "taking the brakes off" and finishing the studying ASAP so i can get the ccna outta the way to start over again down the ccnp track icon_confused.gif
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
    skaeight wrote:
    This thread motivated me to schedule my 70-270 exam. I was slacking a little bit since I passed my net+ exam. Now I can get focused again. I sincerely believe the only way to do it is to schedule the exam first. I was studying for A+ for 5 years because I never scheduled the exam!

In 2001 I bought my A+ study materials. I finally took the exam in 2003, and probably only because the objectives were about to change.

Just do it! If it weren't for the last minute, nothing would get done... sometimes you gotta force that last minute. Resist the urge to reschedule.
  • mobri09mobri09 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 723
    Lazyart, I agree how you schedule your tests and conquer your goals. I am the same way, if i don't schedule my exam i will study less and push it off more. I am a full time student and it's extremely hard to find time to study. For a while i was studying material when i was stuck in traffic on the way home from school. This website motivates me alot due to the fact that many members have years of experience and are certified in different areas. Techexams helps me succeed in life!
  • skully93skully93 Member Posts: 323 ■■■□□□□□□□
    With the economy still pretty down, I figure I'm not doing much else, so might as well study so that when it picks up again I can get into a decent job. I've not quite 'earned my stripes' yet anyway.
    I do not have a psychiatrist and I do not want one, for the simple reason that if he listened to me long enough, he might become disturbed.

-- James Thurber
  • Sulblk27Sulblk27 Member Posts: 148
    Man...do I feel out of sorts...this is a 'new' career for me...started four years ago...didn't have the money to take certs, or the time to study (doing the full time school thing)...tried working while in school to get the money for the test...but that worked as about as well as a slug getting salt poured on it...Now had to move in with 'dear ole dad' but this gives me the change I need to get the certs...hate I have to transfer crdeits from one state to the next (since I was one two math classes away from a AS)...but...no job, no can pay for the little things like gas or food... icon_rolleyes.gif ...in any case the libarary has become a huge motivator for me...working on the Network for nov. security for dec...then off to the ccna track...eventually pure security...(ie ethiic hacking and the like)..... icon_cool.gif ...gotta catch up to the books I have accumulated over the last year.... icon_wink.gif ....eventually computer forensics....
    Someone asked me when will my studying be over......
  • eclipse97gseclipse97gs Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yeah you have to set a deadline. Which is what i am forcing myself to do. I am studying for 70-210 and am nervous about taking it. I am not very good at test taking. Im just one of those people that freezes up. icon_redface.gif that and im nervous the test is harder than I think it is. Oh well back to the books. 5 days tell the test icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Sulblk27Sulblk27 Member Posts: 148
    Hang in there eclipse...The trick is you made the appointment, and taking the step to accomplish it. I do understand 'bout not taking test very well...but i figured there is a fifty fifty chance of pass or fail.... icon_redface.gif and of course I think I will fail..it's a strange way for me to look at it but, I will either lose the money I spent by failing OR I will pass the test and gain another foot hold in the world I want to emerse myself into...
    Keep your head up...you can do it! :)...
    Someone asked me when will my studying be over......
    I am not very good at test taking. Im just one of those people that freezes up.

I was the same way. Then in college & certs I just learned how to retain information. I just studied & worked to the point that I knew everything about the subject which would totally eliminates my chances of failure. I would study the subject because of curiosity & the need to understand more, not just to pass a test. If you study & do practice tests & work at you weak points- you will not fail. :D Good Luck.
  • x_Danny_xx_Danny_x Member Posts: 312 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Damn, right now I just cant study! Im so depressed.

I dont know what it is. Im studying the MCSA 70-210 right now. Im trying to read the technotes but I just cant.

I dont know what is wrong?????????
    There There, Its okay to feel GUILTY...........There is no SIN in PLEASURE!
  • cliffjag1987cliffjag1987 Member Posts: 206
    x_Danny_x Posted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 10:43 am Post subject:

love, right now I just cant study! Im so depressed.

I dont know what it is. Im studying the MCSA 70-210 right now. Im trying to read the technotes but I just cant.

Listen, maybe my advice will help

When you see you can't study much, you need (must) to take a break.
    Because when you are forcing yourself to study you get a lot of disadvantages like:

-U will not remember nothing & that would be a lot of wasted time.

icon_arrow.gif What u need to do is relax little. Take your book read a little maybe 1 or 2 or more pages and again relax. Talk in yourself what you know or write it down. Then relax your head again and then you go again but not 1 or 2 pages but a little more like 4 or 5 or more. So you can bring your brain to a study level . E.G. when you climb a stair ( step for step ) or when u do a certifcation e.g first A+ , then Network+ ETC

I hope you get the point & if you got your own method to study you can avoid mine

I wish you good luck in your certification
  • mobri09mobri09 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 723
    Excellent Advice Cliff!
    x_Danny_x wrote:

Sounds like you need to set a date then.
  • x_Danny_xx_Danny_x Member Posts: 312 ■■□□□□□□□□
    x_Danny_x Posted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 10:43 am Post subject:

Listen, maybe my advice will help

When you see you can't study much, you need (must) to take a break.
    Because when you are forcing yourself to study you get a lot of disadvantages like:

-U will not remember nothing & that would be a lot of wasted time.

icon_arrow.gif What u need to do is relax little. Take your book read a little maybe 1 or 2 or more pages and again relax. Talk in yourself what you know or write it down. Then relax your head again and then you go again but not 1 or 2 pages but a little more like 4 or 5 or more. So you can bring your brain to a study level . E.G. when you climb a stair ( step for step ) or when u do a certifcation e.g first A+ , then Network+ ETC

I hope you get the point & if you got your own method to study you can avoid mine

I wish you good luck in your certification

I guess I will try that, I hope this works. The MCSA is harder than I expected compared to the Network+.

@lazyart, I have tried that setting up a date, i say to myself this is the day and time and get all pumped up and then Bam! I just cant do anything.

Well I will try that advice thanks.
    There There, Its okay to feel GUILTY...........There is no SIN in PLEASURE!
  • /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    I study at work when it's slow as well. I try to study a bit in between classes at school as well. It's actually when I get most of my studying done. I go to college full time and work the rest of the time during the week. I really can't find the time or motivation to study while I'm at home, I just have too many other things to do.