ISCW ATM - Do I just have an old practice exam?

redwarriorredwarrior Member Posts: 285
I've gotten to the point (FINALLY) in my ISCW studies where I am trying to gauge where I need to focus my efforts by taking practice exams and then going back to study further the topics I'm not acing. To that end, I'm starting with the practice exam that came with my Cisco Press ISCW book. However, it seems like I'm getting hit with a lot of ATM questions and I have little to no experience with ATM. From everything I've studied or read, it sounded like I should only need to know some basics about ATM as regards DSL networks, but I'm getting questions such as asking what particular debug command to use on an ATM router to receive a certain output...is this realistic to need to know for the exam or is my practice exam a bit off?

I just want to know so I'll know if I need to hit ATM hard or just review the basics. Thank you!

CCNP Progress

ONT, ISCW, BCMSN - DONE

BSCI - In Progress

http://www.redwarriornet.com/ <--My Cisco Blog

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    You should know the commands to verify and troubleshoot PPPoA.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • redwarriorredwarrior Member Posts: 285
    Looks like I'm gonna be installing an ATM router in dynamips. ;) Thanks for the info!

CCNP Progress

ONT, ISCW, BCMSN - DONE

BSCI - In Progress

• redwarriorredwarrior Member Posts: 285
    In case anyone else is as lacking in ATM experience as I am, I found these 2 links on Cisco's website that look promising for more info:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk175/tk15/technologies_configuration_example09186a008071a69d.shtml - Troubleshooting Guide for DSL routers

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps314/products_feature_guide_chapter09186a008007e26a.html - PPP configuration guide...includes extensive configuration guide for PPPoA

CCNP Progress

ONT, ISCW, BCMSN - DONE

BSCI - In Progress

• gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Having not briefed myself on any of the ISCW topics, I know ALREADY that I'm going to enjoy it.

Damn I love doing this stuff!

I thought I enjoyed MS - but it doesn't even come *close* to how cool this is!
  • jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ISCW is a lot of fun.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    gorebrush wrote:
    Having not briefed myself on any of the ISCW topics, I know ALREADY that I'm going to enjoy it.

Damn I love doing this stuff!

I thought I enjoyed MS - but it doesn't even come *close* to how cool this is!

You enjoyed MS stuff? :D

Man, i wish i could go gun ho and go for my ccnp now. Damn you university!!!! icon_twisted.gif
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • mikearamamikearama Member Posts: 749
    @red...

I sat the exam last week, and I recall maybe 3 or 4 questions on DSL total. I did have a question very much like the one you describe... here's a chunk of config, now pick the command that generated it.

It was a small percentage of the exam, so while you should know the topic, don't go crazy like you should over VPN/MPLS/IOS Firewall.

Mike
    There are only 10 kinds of people... those who understand binary, and those that don't.

CCIE Studies: Written passed: Jan 21/12 Lab Prep: Hours reading: 385. Hours labbing: 110

Taking a time-out to add the CCVP. Capitalizing on a current IPT pilot project.
    I did at the time... I hate doing all the pansy MS Support now that goes with it.

Only so many printers I can be bothered with.

And people who can't RTFM.

Hence Cisco means I can get into pure networking, which should mean more 3rd line and less ID10T work
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    gorebrush wrote:
    I did at the time... I hate doing all the pansy MS Support now that goes with it.

Hence Cisco means I can get into pure networking, which should mean more 3rd line and less ID10T work

ha, i was joking mate.

Ive been there too. i enjoyed AD/exchange but found that you got bombarded with a ton of crap to go along with it - printers, unlocking accounts blah blah.Mind saying that now ive moved across into this field i only get about 10% of that same crap now :D ...happy days.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
    nel wrote:
    gorebrush wrote:

ha, i was joking mate.

Ive been there too. i enjoyed AD/exchange but found that you got bombarded with a ton of crap to go along with it - printers, unlocking accounts blah blah.Mind saying that now ive moved across into this field i only get about 10% of that same crap now :D ...happy days.

MS is fun - but only if you can get away from the crap. Which is VERY difficult.

I am MOST pleased to see that there is a way to get away from the crap, and I'm on that path.

Awesome.

You've made my day.