Vista, Turn Windows features on or off

Mmartin_47Mmartin_47 Member Posts: 430
Nothing is displayed in the "Turn Windows features on or off" dialog box. Any ideas?

Comments

• skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    do you get the "please wait" message? I got that at first....I got impatient after a few seconds & started clicking on "OK" and then it popped up with the list of features. Or are you getting a completely blank list after "please wait" clears? There's one quick fix that might help you that you can find here. There's also a Microsoft tech support article on it that offers two different possible solutions, one of which is using system file checker.

By the way, do you have 64-bit or 32-bit Vista, and what "flavor" are you running? Do you have SP1 installed? I'm running Business 32-bit with SP1, and I'm not having an issue. But it seems to be a fairly widespread thing - googling "turn windows features on or off blank" comes up with nearly half a million hits, EEK!

Hopefully, one of the solutions in those links will work for you...I'll keep fingers crossed that it's a quick & simple fix, good luck! :D
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Mmartin_47Mmartin_47 Member Posts: 430
    skrpune wrote:
    do you get the "please wait" message? I got that at first....I got impatient after a few seconds & started clicking on "OK" and then it popped up with the list of features. Or are you getting a completely blank list after "please wait" clears? There's one quick fix that might help you that you can find here. There's also a Microsoft tech support article on it that offers two different possible solutions, one of which is using system file checker.

By the way, do you have 64-bit or 32-bit Vista, and what "flavor" are you running? Do you have SP1 installed? I'm running Business 32-bit with SP1, and I'm not having an issue. But it seems to be a fairly widespread thing - googling "turn windows features on or off blank" comes up with nearly half a million hits, EEK!

Hopefully, one of the solutions in those links will work for you...I'll keep fingers crossed that it's a quick & simple fix, good luck! :D

Thanks for the response. Yeah earlier I ran SFC and had errors that it cannot fix. The list is completely blank. Running 32-bit with SP1 with Home Premium
    Well SFC found errors that it cannot fix. The website you posted didn't do any good. I did a system restore to an earlier date, no luck since it must have happened last month.
    hrm. If SFC found errors that it can't fix, then there are deeper issues with your Vista install than just the issues you're seeing with the blank list of features. Are there any other symptoms, or is everything else working ok? Was there a specific error or errors that SFC said it couldn't fix?

skrpune wrote:
    hrm. If SFC found errors that it can't fix, then there are deeper issues with your Vista install than just the issues you're seeing with the blank list of features. Are there any other symptoms, or is everything else working ok? Was there a specific error or errors that SFC said it couldn't fix?

Everything else works fine. I think it's ever since I downloaded a bad song off LimeWire =(
  • BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Limewire?!?!?!?! Ugh, I've seen more people burned from that than I count.
    ACK, Limewire?! icon_eek.gif I'm with Bokeh, I can't even count how many people I've seen who've gotten irreparable problems from dipping their toes into the Limewire cesspool.

This is not an issues with Vista, this is an issue with an infection of some sort. If you haven't done so already, get SpyBot Search & Destroy. You're best off to reboot in safe mode & run it then, as you might have an infection that is attached to some system files that are in use when running in regular mode. Also do a DEEP virus scan. If you're looking for a strong AV program but don't have $$ to spend, then go to bitdefender.com & download the 30-day trial program. It's full featured and can give you a good, deep clean.

Worst case scenario, you may have to do a reinstall.

skrpune wrote:
    ACK, Limewire?! icon_eek.gif I'm with Bokeh, I can't even count how many people I've seen who've gotten irreparable problems from dipping their toes into the Limewire cesspool.

This is not an issues with Vista, this is an issue with an infection of some sort. If you haven't done so already, get SpyBot Search & Destroy. You're best off to reboot in safe mode & run it then, as you might have an infection that is attached to some system files that are in use when running in regular mode. Also do a DEEP virus scan. If you're looking for a strong AV program but don't have $$ to spend, then go to bitdefender.com & download the 30-day trial program. It's full featured and can give you a good, deep clean.

Worst case scenario, you may have to do a reinstall.

Yeah I'll give that a shot. Another reason why I keep all my documents, pictures, music, and videos on a seperate drive.