Study guide

kpjunglekpjungle Member Posts: 426
I am thinking about some study guide for my ISCW exam.
Whats the general consensus about the guides at thebryantadvantage.com?
ideas/suggestions?
Studying for CCNP (All done)

Comments

• nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Ive heard there good and fill the gaps well where the guides dont cover too good. However ive never used any for my ccnp studies.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • mikearamamikearama Member Posts: 749
    I have... and Chris knows his stuff. And I found his material did indeed fill in the gaps that the cert guide left out.

I know people have passed the exam claiming to only have used the cert guide... I don't know how. Too much material isn't included.

Here's a classic example: securing ntp. The cert guide barely commented on ntp. Did you know you can apply an acl to ntp to allow only certain devices to use you as an ntp server? Good luck figuring that out from the cert guide (MODERATED).

I haven't used the Transenders or Nuggets for the ISCW, and I'm sure they're quality too... but CB's stuff certainly is well thought out. It's worth the expense... which isn't much.
    There are only 10 kinds of people... those who understand binary, and those that don't.

CCIE Studies: Written passed: Jan 21/12 Lab Prep: Hours reading: 385. Hours labbing: 110

Taking a time-out to add the CCVP. Capitalizing on a current IPT pilot project.
  • shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    I agree with mike bryant is good for a secondary resource but not for a single source. Also mike you may want to edit your post a little that's definitely going beyond the NDA I think.
    shednik wrote:
    Also mike you may want to edit your post a little that's definitely going beyond the NDA I think.

Nah, I was careful not to be too specific... I didn't include any exam material. I merely reiterated that I had a question on NTP, which, based on the exam description (Describe and configure IOS secure management features, ie, NTP) from Cisco's website, should be 'inside' the NDA.
    There are only 10 kinds of people... those who understand binary, and those that don't.

CCIE Studies: Written passed: Jan 21/12 Lab Prep: Hours reading: 385. Hours labbing: 110

• mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    mikearama wrote:
    shednik wrote:
    Nah, I was careful not to be too specific...
    Next time try harder.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    Anyway, back to the original topic. I would also recommend the portable command guide for ISCW, lots of good examples and diagrams to complement the design theory.

http://www.ciscopress.com/bookstore/product.asp?isbn=1587201860
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • kpjunglekpjungle Member Posts: 426
    Thanks for all the replies.

If the general consensus is that Bryants material is good, then its likely the best candidate. Also good to know that you guys use his stuff with good results. I want to make sure all the stuff I use is legit, and certguard seems to validate this..

Again, thanks.
  • NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    mikearama wrote:
    Did you know you can apply an acl to ntp to allow only certain devices to use you as an ntp server? Good luck figuring that out from the cert guide (MODERATED).

Speaking of NTP, here's how to use a home lab router to act as a local NTP server:

conf t
    clock timezone EST -5
    clock summer-time EDT recurring 2 Sun Mar 2:00 1 Sun Nov 2:00
    ntp server 10.0.0.0
    (enter your NTP time source here)

You will see an ntp clock-period entry in your running config after you set this up. You can tweak it, but it can be safely left alone.

Example applies to EST, but anyone going for the CCNP should be able to figure out how to make the adjustments for your time zone. DST settings apply to 2008 and are subject to change. Config applies to router acting as server - some settings might need to be repeated at client.

I use a router as my NTP boss so that I can power off my lab servers and still keep NTP going.

Apply access list rules if needed.

Hopefully this handwritten instructional guide does not violate the NDA

;)
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Netwurk wrote:
    Hopefully this handwritten instructional guide does not violate the NDA
    As long as you aren't violating Chris Bryant's copyright, pointing out something you found useful is okay -- as long as you don't mention the exam, imply knowledge gained from the exam, or start posting things that look like exam questions.

And your mention of exam in that last post, as part of the word Example, is okay -- not an NDA Violation icon_lol.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
    Okay, so to reiterate, I now got:

ISCW exam cert guide.
    ISCW Portable command guide.
    ISCW Lab portfolio.
    ISCW Reference sheets.

Im still shaky whether or not to use Bryants stuff. I know he's a CCIE and all, and certguard says his site is legit, but im still a bit nervous about it :)

Can anyone calm my paranoia? :)
  • miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    kpjungle wrote:
    Okay, so to reiterate, I now got:

ISCW exam cert guide.
    ISCW Portable command guide.
    ISCW Lab portfolio.
    ISCW Reference sheets.

Im still shaky whether or not to use Bryants stuff. I know he's a CCIE and all, and certguard says his site is legit, but im still a bit nervous about it :)

Can anyone calm my paranoia? :)

I have used Chris material and can vouch for it.
    I originally used his material for the CCNA and was skeptical, but purchased it as I was on a mission to pass the exam before the old test expired. His hook at the time was he would give you for free the material for the new exam if you failed the existing exam while using his material. I passed the exam on the first shot.

I purchase Cisco official exam guide set to prepare for the CCNP. BSCI was the first up, I took and failed the exam, I then bought the study guide and still failed the exam, I then purchased the complete CCNP guide from Chris, and passed the BSCI on the third attempt and then used his material for the completion of the CCNP. His material gets right to the point of what you need to learn for the exams. Not too much fluff.

What I have learned through the process, have multiple sources of material and trust Chris Bryant to deliver... Another neat thing, is you can pop him an e-mail and he will reply and explain, etc.... I have on several occasion shot him an e-mail and he responds it the next 5-10 minutes. Pretty impressive, but your mileage may vary.

Hope that helps.
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
    I also recommend the Bryant material, but have to say that you have plenty of resources already. By the time you get through all that you already have, you should own the ISCW.

I'd now recommend studying your butt off with what you have... you'll have success. And if you don't, perhaps then consider CB's stuff. But you've already spent good money on some great resources.

mikearama wrote:
    I also recommend the Bryant material, but have to say that you have plenty of resources already. By the time you get through all that you already have, you should own the ISCW.

I'd now recommend studying your butt off with what you have... you'll have success. And if you don't, perhaps then consider CB's stuff. But you've already spent good money on some great resources.

Yeah I like to have different ressources, especially on tricky subjects. What bothers me about the ISCW and ONT is the lack of a study guide, because i know how sparse the exam guides can be.

The study guides from cisco press, also gave a sense of security, in the way that when you had read those, you deffinately knew you had covered all exam topics.

At the same time I really want a study guide, I also want to make sure that everything I use is "legit" according to Cisco rules and nothing in the material is disclosed that shouldnt be.

Hope that makes sense.
    Again, thanks for the replies.

Should you trust certguard.com's ratings for study material? As you can see from above im still interested in the Bryant material.

Need more resources :)