Email sent to DL was not received

Hi Guys,

I have a small problem here and i have no idea on why the email was not delivered to some of the members.

I have a distribution list that consist of almost 2500 users. The DL has a sub DL's. This DL has a sending restrictions that only allowed senders are able to send but the sender has a permission even to the sub DL's.

When the sender (internal) sent the communication email, 10-15 users did not received the mail. I tried to tracked the email using ESM Message Tracking Center but cannot find the email sent to those 10-15 members mailbox. Most of the members received the email with no problem.

The Email was resent and received by those member that did not received the first mail. Strange isn't it. It seems that the first mail was lost in transition but most of the users received the email. Its like 15 member did not received out of 2500.

Any idea. Just wants to know why it was happened. I encountered this problem before but still no solution.

Cheers,
Ally
"...don't wait for miracles, be the miracle" - Bruce Almighty

Comments

• royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Only thing I can think of is that you have a multi-domain environment and your distribution group is a global group. When Exchange goes to expand the group and hits a Global Catalog it doesn't expand the group membership when that GC isn't in the domain that contains the group. But when Exchange does use the GC that is in the domain that has the distribution group, it expands it properly.

Just a guess though. If my guess is true, make your global group a universal group. Distribution groups for Exchange should always be Universal anyways.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • allylaurenteallylaurente Member Posts: 131
    Hi Royal,

Thanks for the reply. Yup its a multi-domain environment.

Cheers,
    Ally
    "...don't wait for miracles, be the miracle" - Bruce Almighty
  • HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    I recently ran into a similar issue. Something else you may want to check is how well your global catalogs are replicating between your domains.

In my case, there were numerous lingering objects not related to the Distribution Groups that were preventing Global Catalogs from replicating. So when new users were added to the subgroups, this new information wasn't replicated because strict replication was enabled.

Use replmon and repadmin to check GC replication latency.

Another troubleshooting step is determine if the 10-15 users who didn't receive the emails all belong to specific few domains. Then use LDP to connect to a global catalog in other domain(s) where Exchange servers are located and check to see if the group membership matched for those subgroups.
    Good luck to all!
  • dr_Jivagodr_Jivago Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    the best thing to do is to make a global distribution group for any domain that you have and then to add those groups to a universal distribution group
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    dr_Jivago wrote:
    the best thing to do is to make a global distribution group for any domain that you have and then to add those groups to a universal distribution group

The term "best" is strong and is relative.

I do agree it's "best" or a better word would be more efficient in certain circumstances. It depends on how you have things set up really. The technical reason why it's best to put users in a global group instead of directly into a Universal Group is because of the way Global Catalogs store information. Global Catalogs contain a partial copy of every domain partition and a full copy of the domain partition for the domain it belongs to.

Now what exactly is this partial copy? Well each domain partition it has for domains other than the one it belongs to, it stores every object but not every attribute. It stores the membership information for a Universal Group but not a Global/Domain Local Group.

Now if you add 50 users to a Universal Group, the Global Catalog contains 50 pieces of information since it stores the membership for a Universal Group. Now since it doesn't store the group information for a Global Group, you can add 50 users to a Global Group and then just add the Global Group to the Universal Group. Now the Global Catalogs have 1 item to replicate vs 50 items. Obviously 1 item to replicate is better.

Now what you typically can do, is create a new Universal Group and then add your existing security global groups to your new Universal Group and that will be fine. But you still can add users directly into a Universal Group if you're comfortable with the above. If you only have a couple Universal Groups with not too many members in it, and don't have a 10Base2 ( icon_eek.gif ) network, I'm sure you'll be fine with users directly in a Universal Group.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • dr_Jivagodr_Jivago Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    ok royal i will restate :
    It is the best practice