802.1Q encapsulation is now available on 10BaseT

creamy_stewcreamy_stew Member Posts: 406 ■■■□□□□□□□
From the FAQ on this site:
802.1Q encapsulation is now available on the built-in 10BaseT Ethernet interfaces of the Cisco 2610, 2611, and 2612 with Cisco IOS software 12.2(2)T and subsequent releases.

Whoa! Does this apply to the CCNA exam?

If I get question which types of interfaces support qtag/router-on-a-stick, I should now include 10BaseT?

/creamy
Itchy... Tasty!
[X] DCICN
[X] IINS

[ ] CCDA
[ ] DCICT

Comments

• cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yay, 10BaseT. Good job Cisco. I'll put one of those right next to my 20Gig Etherchannel. icon_lol.gif
  • creamy_stewcreamy_stew Member Posts: 406 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yay, 10BaseT. Good job Cisco. I'll put one of those right next to my 20Gig Etherchannel. icon_lol.gif

Quiet you! At last my dream of a fully converged network with a single AUI-port 2500 at its core will become reality!

Now, if I could only find a one of those cheesy AUI->10BaseT adapters the world will be mine.
    Itchy... Tasty!
    [X] DCICN
    [X] IINS

[ ] CCDA
    [ ] DCICT
  • creamy_stewcreamy_stew Member Posts: 406 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Mine, I tell you!

/grandeur_stew
    Itchy... Tasty!
    [X] DCICN
    [X] IINS

[ ] CCDA
    [ ] DCICT
  • bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    This is not really news, you still need the right IOS on the 2600/3600 routers 10BaseT ports to do dot1q.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps259/prod_bulletin09186a00800921e4.html
    Quiet you! At last my dream of a fully converged network with a single AUI-port 2500 at its core will become reality!

You're using the term converged incorrectly, converged network typically refer to data&voice running together, dot1q doesn't imply this, another meaning refers to a network where all nodes can reach one another, again dot1q is not required for this.

Also, as the link above talks about; the 10BaseT with dot1q support only apply to certain 2600 and 3600 routers, there is no way at all to do dot1q on a 2500 series router.
    Now, if I could only find a one of those cheesy AUI->10BaseT adapters the world will be mine.

http://www.anthonypanda.com/product.php?prd_id=32&opt_id=57
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    I'll put one of those right next to my 20Gig Etherchannel. icon_lol.gif

Layer 2 or layer 3? I'm using MST for multiple 10Gig switchports and OSPF equal-cost multipathing for multiple 10Gig routed ports, I found in either case, it works much better than etherchannel.
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If I get question which types of interfaces support qtag/router-on-a-stick, I should now include 10BaseT?
    Not unless you've seen it in the official Cisco Courseware recently.

The "party line" back in the old Cisco CCNA Network Academy courseware was that you needed at least a 100Mb Ethernet Interface to support 802.1q.

The IOS change for the 261x 10mb interface was a "nice exception" for those of us building cheap home labs.

The other exception is that the 1720 doesn't support 802.1q (or support router on a stick) on it's 100Mb Ethernet interface.

Unless someone has seen something more official recently, I'd stick with the "old" rule.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'll put one of those right next to my 20Gig Etherchannel. icon_lol.gif

Layer 2 or layer 3? I'm using MST for multiple 10Gig switchports and OSPF equal-cost multipathing for multiple 10Gig routed ports, I found in either case, it works much better than etherchannel.

Layer 2. The individual links are actually fairly close in their load distribution, but it wouldn't matter much in this case as the utilization is below 5%. I plan on MST in the future, but I've got a ton of higher priority projects to worry about. The Spanning Tree implementation needs a complete overhaul, but it is not in a "critical" state so it will have to wait....