Dell Dimension 5100

ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
I have got a Dell dimension 5100, LGA 775 M/b with P4 3.0Ghz HT processor

I have pruchased a Core2 off Ebay (Conroe entry one)

Now I have tried putting this chip into the Dell the machine isn't turning on

Does this Dimension support Core2s? Or do I need a bios upgrade if so can someone who is very smart show me which bios upgrade I need and walk me through the process of flashing the bios

Cheers
Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "

Comments

• undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Doing a few searches on Google it doesn't look like the motherboard supports any of the Core2 cpus.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Check if Dell has a has a Flash BIOS update for that motherboard to support the CPU you bought. Check the mobo's manual to see if Core 2 CPUs are supported at all by the mobo. Check on Dell's tech support forums too. No every mobo supports every CPU.
  • skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    JDMurray wrote:
    Check if Dell has a has a Flash BIOS update for that motherboard to support the CPU you bought. Check the mobo's manual to see if Core 2 CPUs are supported at all by the mobo. Check on Dell's tech support forums too. No every mobo supports every CPU.
    Good point - just because it fits doesn't mean it will be supported. If it's a newer mobo, then you might be able to flash the BIOS. But here is a link to what I think is the latest BIOS update for that board/PC, and it does look like it supports dual core processors.

You've got a couple choices on how to use that new processor...you can build yourself a new machine, or you can upgrade to a new motherboard that's compatible with the new CPU but also compatible with your current RAM & other components. If you are running XP and want a link to how to swap out motherboards & not have to do an OS reinstall, let me know and I'll dig up the link.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Can anybody point me in the direction of a good BIOS flasher? it needs to be compatible with this model of Dell

Thankies
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    The program that you will download from Dell for applying a BIOS update specifically to your motherboard should work. It's usually included with the BIOS update itself.
  • skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    ally_uk wrote:
    Can anybody point me in the direction of a good BIOS flasher? it needs to be compatible with this model of Dell

Thankies
    If you check the link I included in my post above, that should bring you right to Dell's website for the BIOS update, that's the best place to start.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Devin McCloudDevin McCloud Member Posts: 133
    Take the Dell service number (bottom of the laptop or in the bios page) from the computer and input it in the dell support page. It will tell you all components, what they can be upgraded to and what is installed on your system. All of your software, driver and bios updates will be there to download also. This is something you should have researched before buying the processor!
    The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either.