Best Path(long term) for Novell CNA

There are two ways to achieve/study for the Novell CNA. One path is through the more traditional Netware 6.5 material, using course 3016, exam 50-686. The second path is through the Open Enterprise Server material, using course 3080 for exam 50-696. Although there is much overlap in the material, which is the best long term (marketable) solution for the CNA? It would seem that with Novell moving further into the Linux arena, OES would be the best path. I have worked with versions 3x-6.5 traditional Netware for many years. I am beginning to believe that the CNA OES path may be more desirable in the future. With Novell moving further into the Linux arena, Novell may make a very surprizing market come-back. Probably their best effort yet, and gaining ground.

Comments

• TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    kctxau wrote:
    There are two ways to achieve/study for the Novell CNA. One path is through the more traditional Netware 6.5 material, using course 3016, exam 50-686. The second path is through the Open Enterprise Server material, using course 3080 for exam 50-696. Although there is much overlap in the material, which is the best long term (marketable) solution for the CNA? It would seem that with Novell moving further into the Linux arena, OES would be the best path. I have worked with versions 3x-6.5 traditional Netware for many years. I am beginning to believe that the CNA OES path may be more desirable in the future. With Novell moving further into the Linux arena, Novell may make a very surprizing market come-back. Probably their best effort yet, and gaining ground.

I would go for OES. That's the future platform for Novell and you should learn things that are transferable when/if you move away from Novell environments and do other things on the linux platform. You will still learn Netware, just it's application on Linux. Next near post CCIE I will be turning to the Novell studies myself and getting on task with Netware on Linux. This gives me a useful enterprise study track for Linux in itself as well as leveraging what I already know about Netware as a CNE.
  • KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Go for the OES. Linux is strong and will be need it in the future. NW is strong and stable, but OES even better. Don't be surprise that many companies is looking for stable Enterprise that run on Linux. Novell OES is very stable and smooth.
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn