AVG issues

livenliven Member Posts: 918
Does anyone use AVG free version 8.0?

I have been using AVG for years and it works great. Well It has stopped updating correctly. I have rebooted, uninstalled reinstalled blah blah blah. I have looked on the AVG website and they say they are having server issues.

The weird thing is that I have a bunch of machines and only some of them are having this "unable" to connect to update server issue.

I am posting this message from the same machine that his having issues so obviously i-net connectivity is not the problem. And I am having no other issues with my home network.

So does anyone know a work around or, an equally equivalent free anti virus program?

Thanks gents (and ladies).
encrypt the encryption, never mind my brain hurts.

Comments

• KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think PANDA AV still free, too.
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    Once AVG 8 came out, I switched. Numerous problems with various features in it. It's a shame.

I use Avast Home Edition now. Works great.
    Good luck to all!
  • livenliven Member Posts: 918
    HeroPsycho wrote:
    Once AVG 8 came out, I switched. Numerous problems with various features in it. It's a shame.

I use Avast Home Edition now. Works great.

Yes I am switching as we speak....

Thanks
    encrypt the encryption, never mind my brain hurts.
  • AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    I have a problem with avg 8.0 in where it will never do a full system scan on my vista comp. If I uncheck the "scan system environment" checkbox then it will do a full system scan.... I'm trying avast home edition now.
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
  • RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    All you need to do is look at the name ... AVGerage and it kind of sums it up icon_lol.gif What they did for AV they are doing to AS as well. Ewido used to be very effective - now it just kind of works.

Looks like a few here have gone for Avast as an option - it is a great one. AntiVir is another good free one and there are also a few others. If you do some researc you will find that there are certain scan engines that power those that finish high on the comparison charts.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I agree with you all, AVG8 sucks.
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • JavonRJavonR Member Posts: 245
    AVG used to be great... then Norton bought it out and released AVG 8. Avast is the way to go, IMO.
  • skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    JavonR wrote:
    AVG used to be great... then Norton bought it out and released AVG 8. Avast is the way to go, IMO.
    WOW, Norton bought out AVG?? That explains a LOT of the issues I've seen with it! icon_lol.gif

But seriously, most freeware AV programs are pretty much okay, but I have seen a bunch of problems lately with AVG. I use it on one of my machines and it periodically does the 'no connectivity' thing when I know I have connectivity, and I've had a missing file error among some others.

I kinda like Avast - I use that on at least two of my other PCs and it does its job well at a nice cost of zip. The only thing I hate about Avast is that, if I forget to turn down my speakers, it screams "VIRUS DATABASE HAS BEEN UPDATED!!!!!" and scares the bejebus out of me!! :D
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Does anyone use ClamWin? I used to hear a lot about them, but not so much anymore.

I've really come to like ESET NOD32. I don't mind paying for it at all. Kaspersky comes behind it as a close second.
  • AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    ESET and Kaspersky definitely lead the field. ESET is lighter on resources and a better choice for less intrusive protection (and it has a slightly higher rated AV engine that Kaspersky) but Kaspersky Internet Security has more features (like a full HIPS, SSL interception etc.) that I prefer. Both are great choices though and the only reason I went from freebies back to commercial solutions.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    skrpune wrote:
    The only thing I hate about Avast is that, if I forget to turn down my speakers, it screams "VIRUS DATABASE HAS BEEN UPDATED!!!!!" and scares the bejebus out of me!! :D

lol, I've been using avast for a couple of days now and the first time that happened to me it scared the bejebus out of me too. I can only imagine how awesome it would be to be having a phone interview and have it go off like that.
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i say buy a copy of kaspersky. You can pick it up for pretty cheap (compared to others) if you shop about. Best AV imo.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • TalicTalic Member Posts: 423
    I always preferred AntiVir to AVG, it was more polished and usually beat AVG in detection tests.

http://www.av-comparatives.org/

Both NOD and Kaspersky did pretty well but I always preferred NOD since it is lighter and I don't demand all the bells and whistles that Kaspersky has.
  • deadpool287deadpool287 Member Posts: 113
    JavonR wrote:

I haven't been able to find one bit of information supporting this statement. Can someone please verify this for me?
  • HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    JavonR wrote:

I haven't been able to find one bit of information supporting this statement. Can someone please verify this for me?

I would if it were true. icon_wink.gif
    Good luck to all!