Options

Need new router for home wireless

BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
Looking to replace my Trendnet router with a draft N router. Anyone have good experience with one yet ?

Comments

• Options
    eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Bokeh wrote:
    Looking to replace my Trendnet router with a draft N router. Anyone have good experience with one yet ?

I replaced an ancient 2Wire a while back with a Linksys WRVS4400N. No issues at all and I am very pleased with it. I picked one up new in box on eBay for well below market price....

MS
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If I were to get a new router, it'd be the WRVS4400N. eMeS, do you use the VPN functionality at all? If so, do you use it with Vista? I see one of the reviews on Newegg said that the VPN functionality won't work under Vista. But Newegg reviews are done by a lot of people who are not technical like us.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    royal wrote:
    If I were to get a new router, it'd be the WRVS4400N. eMeS, do you use the VPN functionality at all? If so, do you use it with Vista? I see one of the reviews on Newegg said that the VPN functionality won't work under Vista. But Newegg reviews are done by a lot of people who are not technical like us.

I just checked Newegg...wow, I'm really surprised about the preponderance of bad reviews...I've never had a single problem with it. I too often wonder about the self ratings of "Tech Level" on Newegg!

I also never noticed that "Business Series" in the name of the router...I wouldn't really consider using this router in support of anything more than home use.

I do use the VPN, and it has been issue-free for me. There is only one Vista computer on my network, which belongs to my wife. I've never had a reason to test a vpn client from that computer. In fact, about the only things used on her computer are "Diner Dash" and the eLuxury website. :)

MS
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,028 Admin
    Maybe the problems were fixed with a firmware update or two.
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Perhaps. I'd probably do DD-WRT anyways. Besides, my current router is fine and I'm not willing to spend the $100 just for VPN functionality when my RDP over SSH is working just fine for now. Once I get my laptop hardware refresh in spring 2010 with I would hope Wireless N by then, I'll probably upgrade. Either that or when my AP dies.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    JDMurray wrote:
    Maybe the problems were fixed with a firmware update or two.

The issues were probably fixed. We have a good number of the Linksys RV042 or RV082 VPN routers at remote sites and the Linksys QuickVPN client had issues with Vista until a firmware patch and an updated QuickVPN client. Now the only problems connecting are if you attempt to use QuickVPN on Vista with the firewall off (because Vista's IPSec support being integrated with the firewall).