Options

The road to a job with Java... is this realistic?

northcuttcuttsnorthcuttcutts Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
I want to give some information in general on my background, tell you what I plan to do right now, then hear some opinions back if this is even a realistic goal or not. I know there should be some on here who can give some good advice so that's why I am here :)

My rant:
My current job is in system engineering providing technical documentation and ensuring system requirements. I HATE it, but I am happy to have a job period with this economy. It is also shift and half my weekends (I HATE that too.) It's been 2 1/2 years with this job after I graduated, so it wears on you after a while. I would just take a few more programming classes, but my schedule doesn't really allow for it.

Goal:
An entry level job with Java application development.

Degree materials that should help:
B.S. in Electrical Engineering (the close cousin to Comp. Eng.).
-2 classes in C/C++ (not as many as Comp. Eng.)
-Comp. architecture class - working with Motorola 68k
-FPGA class & project with VHDL
-Extensive use of algorithms especially in MATLAB
-Many math courses

Other things that probably can help:
-TS clearance
-I have developed Perl scripts and used/added to libraries for very specific tasks at my current job and became quite proficient with it.
-I have done small specific applications with VB at another job.
-Proficient user with UNIX

The plan from here:
I have lots of spare time at work and a Java SDK!!!! There are 2 people I know at work who would like a specific application written for them to peform rather simple tasks so I am probably going to take them up on that. I want to also get a SCJP just to have it for something official. By then I should be somewhat proficient. I think at this point I would attempt to apply for jobs, but still try to get another project under me.

So is this realistic or too far out there?

Comments

• Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    The 2 C/C++ classes you have taken at university will definitely help you, especially if you covered topics like Classes and Objects.

I think it's possible, you will need some time but that's ok. Just do your best to find a job. Don't worry much about the certification, that you can take later, preferably after decent amount of experience.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    wat08wat08 Member Posts: 128
    Yeah man, you're within reach of a Software Development position considering your experience and education, but just a fair warning: you may get stuck in a mundane Quality Assurance role initially. Scouring code to fix buffer overflows can get boring after awhile (I speak from experience). But, you should be very optimistic as development positions are EVERYWHERE. Good luck on your job search.
  • Options
    MCPWannabeMCPWannabe Member Posts: 194
    Go with the .NET framework over Java if at all possible. A friend and I started getting certified at the same time. Both of us had no certs. He decided to go the java route and I decided to go the .NET route. I recently had to remove my resume from job sites because I got inundated with way too many offers. In addition, I'm now working for myself and making some sweet money.

He, on the other hand, has still not found a job. He is now starting the .NET route.
    I've escaped call centers and so can you! Certification Trail and mean pay job offers for me: A+ == $14, Net+==$16, MCSA==$20-$22, MCAD==$25-$30, MCSD -- $40, MCT(Development), MCITP Business Intelligence, MCPD Enterprise Applications Developer -- $700 a Day
  • Options
    jetfanjetfan Member Posts: 112 ■■■□□□□□□□
    MCPWannabe,

What specific certs or track did you pursue in the .NET framework realm? I am considering either that or dba after my mcse is complete in a few months. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    MCPWannabe wrote:
    Go with the .NET framework over Java if at all possible. A friend and I started getting certified at the same time. Both of us had no certs. He decided to go the java route and I decided to go the .NET route. I recently had to remove my resume from job sites because I got inundated with way too many offers. In addition, I'm now working for myself and making some sweet money.

He, on the other hand, has still not found a job. He is now starting the .NET route.

As always, do research in the area where you desire to get a job. Where I am located, I see many more Java openings and at a higher salary range when posted than I see .NET jobs.
  • Options
    MCPWannabeMCPWannabe Member Posts: 194
    jetfan wrote:
    MCPWannabe,

What specific certs or track did you pursue in the .NET framework realm? I am considering either that or dba after my mcse is complete in a few months. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I started with .NET 1.1 and did the upgrade path. I posted a post about starting from the Windows Application Developer or the Web Application Developer in the Developer forum. In my opinion, it is definitely well worth it. All I had done when I started studying for it was read a book on coding in VB. From there, things changed quite rapidly. And when you have the programming with the MCSE, jobs will come begging.
    I've escaped call centers and so can you! Certification Trail and mean pay job offers for me: A+ == $14, Net+==$16, MCSA==$20-$22, MCAD==$25-$30, MCSD -- $40, MCT(Development), MCITP Business Intelligence, MCPD Enterprise Applications Developer -- $700 a Day
  • Options
    northcuttcuttsnorthcuttcutts Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Taking everything into account of where I am at and jobs I would enjoy. I am going to try to learn Java and do the project at work. I might as well have some competency. I have plenty of books, time, and human resources at work so it is do-able in my mind.

I did find a company that is willing to train software engineers at entry level with Java who know other languages. If it happens I will certainly run with it, it's hard to beat that.

I was also thinking of taking up a project with beagleboard.org and use some C with the DSP on that board so I can at least show employers I am still competent with that despite being a few years removed from it. Besides no one can deny a 3" board that can run small linux and do realtime video editing all for $150!

In the meantime I'll also just keep applying and if nothing happens I'm still better than just a few months before.