Options

Planning to take net+ in the 2nd half of december..

vtsvts Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi, guys. I'm new to this forum, and wanted to say that it's a great place to be in.:) thanks to all of the contributors:)
Just wanted to ask for some advice or tips and tricks on the net+ exam. I'm studying the CBT Nuggets net+ 2005 series.

Comments

• Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    vts wrote:
    Hi, guys. I'm new to this forum, and wanted to say that it's a great place to be in.:) thanks to all of the contributors:)
    Just wanted to ask for some advice or tips and tricks on the net+ exam. I'm studying the CBT Nuggets net+ 2005 series.
    hi vts - are you using anything other than the CBT Nuggets videos to study? Don't get me wrong, they're great and I used them myself, but they leave out a lot of detail and don't really even touch on how to subnet (not that it's a huge focus for the exam but it's something you should know). I used the "Network+ 2005 In Depth" book by Tamara Dean (part of the "kit" that comes with flashcards & practice exams) and also Chiarella's "Network+ Self-Study Guide 2nd ed" for my studies, along with various extra study guides from this site & others. The Chiarella book was a good intro (VERY light book, literally and figuratively) and the Dean book was much heavier in detail and heft...probably too detailed, but I need the background info as I'm pretty new to this stuff.

I'm set to take my exam this Friday, so I'll let you know in a few days if those did me any good! :D

Good luck with your studies!
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    skrpune wrote:
    vts wrote:
    Just wanted to ask for some advice or tips and tricks on the net+ exam. I'm studying the <a href=http://www.cbtnuggets.com/techexams target=”_blank”>CBT Nuggets</a> net+ 2005 series.
    hi vts - are you using anything other than the CBT Nuggets videos to study? Don't get me wrong, they're great and I used them myself, but they leave out a lot of detail and don't really even touch on how to subnet (not that it's a huge focus for the exam but it's something you should know). I used the "Network+ 2005 In Depth" book by Tamara Dean (part of the "kit" that comes with flashcards & practice exams) and also Chiarella's "Network+ Self-Study Guide 2nd ed" for my studies, along with various extra study guides from this site & others. The Chiarella book was a good intro (VERY light book, literally and figuratively) and the Dean book was much heavier in detail and heft...probably too detailed, but I need the background info as I'm pretty new to this stuff.

I'm set to take my exam this Friday, so I'll let you know in a few days if those did me any good! :D

Good luck with your studies!

Thanks for reply, skrpune. I've got some experience behind. But after finishing with videos, I'm planning to review the topics using the O'Reilly's "A+, Network+, Security+ Exams in a Nutshell".
    Will be waiting for your results. Good luck!

ps
    by the way, i've heard the CompTIA plans to make a brigde exam for 2005 certidied, when the 2009v. becomes available, but i'm not sure about the prices.. any idea??

thanks again for reply. Good luck!
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    a bridge exam? What, like to 'upgrade' the 2005 objective cert to the 2009 version? Very interestink. I never heard of them doing something like that before, but that doesn't mean it won't happen. Last I heard, they were toying with a 1Q 2009 release for the 2009 objectives. And current exams are called 2007 version but they're really 2005 objectives...just with some updated questions apparently.

Thanks for the well wishes, I'll let you know how it goes. Currently, I'm doing some serious procrastination and haven't been doing much studying the last couple days, but I have to try to tear myself away from the interwebs for a bit & do some real studying & do some reviewing so I'm ready come Friday.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    :) Good luck on Friday, than, take care:)
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    vts wrote:
    Welcome! :D

I'm going to try to study and take the Network+ sometime in December/January -- during our holiday change freeze. I figure it's a good warm-up exam for the Cisco ICND1 exam (to get the Cisco CCENT Certification). Plus if I ever decide to go for the Microsoft MCSA I guess I could try for the A+ also and use that with the Network+ as an elective.

So far I've grabbed the Sybex boxed Network+ Certification Kit and the PrepLogic Network+ Practice Exam and Mega Guide (couldn't resist the SALE prices). Plus I've heard GREAT THINGS about TechExams.Net Technotes in PDF format for the CompTIA Network+ exam.
    skrpune wrote:
    I have to try to tear myself away from the interwebs for a bit & do some real studying & do some reviewing so I'm ready come Friday.
    Good Luck!
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!