Help Noob! Network + Study guide

kamaqazikamaqazi Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi i am new to this forum.
So.

I recently took a Network + class. And now I need to prepare for the exam.
I have read what they suggest the A+ and also 9-12 months experience in the field.

I’m 19 so I do not have much experience, but have worked a few places.

I was wondering what are some good study guides and some practice tests I should take for the
Comptia Net+ 2007 edi.

I also hear there is a new 2009 on the comptia website. Which confused me seeing as there was only the 2005 and 2009 no 2007.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

-Vik

Comments

• skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    2009 exam won't be released for at least a couple months (last reports from CompTIA were that it will be released in 1Q of 2009). The 2005 objectives are what's on the current exams, but they're being called 2007 version since there were some changes to questions/wording...the content is still based on 2005 objectives. And CompTIA offers old objective exams for 6 months after new ones are released, so you have at least 7 months or more to prepare on the current objectives if you don't want to wait a couple/few months for updated study materials based on the new objectives.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    Welcome to the forums

Transcender and Preplogic have pretty good practice exams. They can be a bit pricey though, but if your serious about passing I'd highly recommend them. CompTIA exams alone are very expensive so you don't wanna fail.

http://www.transcender.com/product.aspx?product_id=Cert-N10-003&dept_id=110210
    http://www.preplogic.com/products/exams/practice-exam-details.aspx?eid=126

Go through the technotes too.
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=373

Good luck!
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
  • NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    skrpune wrote:
    2009 exam won't be released for at least a couple months (last reports from CompTIA were that it will be released in 1Q of 2009). The 2005 objectives are what's on the current exams, but they're being called 2007 version since there were some changes to questions/wording...the content is still based on 2005 objectives. And CompTIA offers old objective exams for 6 months after new ones are released, so you have at least 7 months or more to prepare on the current objectives if you don't want to wait a couple/few months for updated study materials based on the new objectives.

Thats really good to know. I have a networking class next semester and the textbook is based off the 2005 objectives (Network+ Guide to Networks 4th Edition by Tamara Dean) and I wanted to wait until I got plenty of hands on practice in class before I take the exam. I will probably schedule my exam in late April, towards the end of my class, so I can give myself a little bit of a window at the end there.
    WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
    Start Date: December 2013
  • kamaqazikamaqazi Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i suggest taking the test no more that 1-2 weeks after your class finishes. That was the information is fresh in your head.

I am taking the test tommorow.

I bought the mike meters Passport network + book. its great so far.
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    I typically recommend against practice exams.

We have a NET+ PDF on this site that many have found extremely helpful in the TechNotes.

Download that.

Experience will help, but NET+ and A+ are mostly facts, working with the items reinforces the knowledge.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • MikeO5422MikeO5422 Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    use ALL the resources on this website for sure. They are highly valuable and the best resources i personally have found online. Here is a site with TONS of questions. also if u think a questions are incorrect do some research. Often times they actually are :D. (not from this site tho)

http://www.bestsamplequestions.com/network-plus-sample-questions/network-plus-sample-questions.html

as far as the new exam goes, the new exam looks like it will be alot tuffer and def. more representative of the workforce today. BUT, if u are studying for 2007 n10-003 take that one. Its going to take a while for study material to come out for the new n+ and it will greatly delay u / make your current class sorta pointless.
  • NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My class ends May 17th, I will probably test before that though so I have a window of time to take a makeup test with the 2005 objectives if I dont quite cut it.
    kamaqazi wrote:
    i suggest taking the test no more that 1-2 weeks after your class finishes. That was the information is fresh in your head.

I am taking the test tommorow.

I bought the mike meters Passport network + book. its great so far.
    WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
    Start Date: December 2013