CCNA or Security +?

rwwddavisrwwddavis Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
(I posted this in the security + forum as well)

I'm A+ and Network+ certified (passed the Net + last weekend). And FWIW I have a BS in criminal justice..I have a job - DSL tech - where I have some opportunity, albeit modest, to use my technical skills. At this point I've narrowed my career to the network admin or network security arena, but I'm not sure which would be the better cert to get (Security + or CCNA) next with my limited background in the security field - Security + recommends 2 years of networking/security experience..Did anyone find the CCNA helpful in their career push? Which one takes longer/is harder to get? From what I've heard, it sounds like the Security + is a bee..

Comments

• WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    (I posted this in the security + forum as well)
    Which removed... please don't cross-post. When in doubt, post in the General Certification forum. If you want I can move this one to that forum. But to answer your question:

IMHO CCNA is more difficult, more valuable, more skills, more respected, more useful. In other words, I think they are not even comparable. It's like comparing Mercedes with a French car brand...

I see Security+ as a useful addition to a bunch of certs or experience, I think everyone involved in IT should get it. CCNA alone is not much worth either, it's a good addition to MCSA/MCSE, or a stepping stone for CCNP or higher. The reason CCNA is much more valuable is because it covers skills (i.e. how to configure a router) while Security+ covers only concepts.

CCNA is definitely more difficult. Security+ is difficult compared to other CompTIA exams, but it's still a CompTIA exam... the main reason is it difficult is CompTIA's lack of competence to create a professional security exam/cert. Cisco exams are difficult because they are much more professional, cover more topics, more indepth.

Nevertheless, I'd go with CCNA first, and add the Sec+ later when it adds something and when you get some more networking knowledge first, which would make Sec+ (read CompTIA) easier to understand. In other words: learn about what you want to protect before how to protect it.
  • rwwddavisrwwddavis Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the feedback, webmaster.

Yes, If you would move this post to the General forum I'd appreciate it.
  • wildfirewildfire Member Posts: 654
    I have to agree with Johan on this one. However I am bias as Im employed in the telecomunications sector. I found my CCNA gave me a rear career boost. My choice was between CCNA and Network + and choose CCNA (Wisely).

Comptia Certs are thought of as base Certs, where as Microsoft, Cisco Systems etc Certs are held in higher hereld.

I also looked into Security + seems good in some ways but I decided after my CCNP Im going to opt for the CCSP (Cisco Certified Security Proffessional) This covers all the theory in Sec+ and a load more with a large practicle element.

If your really intrested in security consider CISSP also.
    Looking for CCIE lab study partnerts, in the UK or Online.
  • forbeslforbesl Member Posts: 454
    wildfire wrote:
    I also looked into Security + seems good in some ways but I decided after my CCNP Im going to opt for the CCSP (Cisco Certified Security Proffessional) This covers all the theory in Sec+ and a load more with a large practicle element.
    If you're really interested in the CCSP, you should visit these discussion groups dedicated solely to CCSP and CCIE/security:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Cisco_CCSP (no spam, no ****:just like here)
    http://www.securityie.com (same)