Trouble adding Member Server to virtual domain

Hi,

I am studying for the 70-290 exam so have created a MS Virtual Win 2003 box as a DC.
I have now created a Member Server and when I try to add this to the existing domain it says it cannot locate it.

I have set them up using the following IP information

Domain Controller:
IP: 192.168.24.1
Subnet 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.24.100
DNS: 192.168.25.100 & 192.168.26.100

Member Server
IP: 192.168.24.2
Subnet 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.24.100
DNS: 192.168.25.100 & 192.168.26.100

They are both running using MS Virtual PC 2005
They are both running off of the same Win XP box
They are both using NAT settings instead of my main pc's wireless card so as to stop them continually flagging IP Conflict errors.

Im obviously doing something stupid and was wondering if anybody could help me get my Member server to connect to the domain.

Any help is appreciated.

Comments

• HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    Dunno if it's related to your problem, but you're supposed to set any VM to obtain IP address automatically when you set their network to NAT.
    Good luck to all!
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Does the DNS server you are pointing to have the domain zone in it? Most likely you only have the DNS on your DC 192.168.24.1 as the one that contains the zone information. You will want to point the member server to that DNS server so that it can find the domain.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    What undomiel said.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • surfthegeckosurfthegecko Member Posts: 149
    Yeah I realised that I had set the wrong IP addresses for the DNS on both machines.

So changed the DNS entries for both the DC and MS to 192.168.24.1 but it made no difference.

It is still unable to locate the domain, cant for the life of me figure out why.

Any other ideas are welcome
    hmmm.... Seems If I change both Virtual Network Settings to 'Local Only' both servers are able to see each other.

The only problem with this is, I then have no internet access from these servers.

Any ideas? Quite annoying really.
    If it comes to it I can try and do without internet access for training purposes the only thing I wont truely be able to practice is WSUS but think it focuses on principles rather than ins and outs in the 70-290 exam.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Why don't you upgrade to Virtual PC 2007? It might have other options that allow you to do what you need to do.
    actually thats my mistake, I am using Virtual PC 2007.

Sorry for the incorrect info
  • dalesdales Member Posts: 225
    whats at .100, is that your router or is that the host xp box, you will need to make sure that the .100 is your modem router.

I suspect this is why you cannot correctly add servers together and smurf the tinterwebsite
    Kind Regards
    Dale Scriven

Twitter:dscriven
    Blog: vhorizon.co.uk
    Good Shout, rather daft of me.

I have just changed this to 192.168.1.100 which is my broadband router/wireless point but still no luck.

I tried with the gateway set to the above using Virtual PC Network Settings as 'Local Only' and 'Nat' and now they cannot see each other again and cannot connect to the internet.

If I change to use the wireless care it then gives off an IP conflict message.

Just seems daft that whatever I try I cannot get both aspects to work.

Any other ideas are welcome, not urgent anymore its just bugging me now.
    ah so your router is on a different subnet then, thats prolly why there is no access to the internet. Im not really an expert on vmware server but if you want internet access you will need to set the server network as bridged i think.

Also it might be an idea to set IP's for your server to a range within the 1.x subnet (but you might not have to do this if the bridge setting in vmware acts as a router between to subnets).

i am rather interested in your Ip conflict message though, which one says that it has an IP conflict, as that is very rarely incorrect so you should have a machine with the same IP address set somewhere which will obviously need changing.
    Kind Regards
    Dale Scriven

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Wow, none of us noticed the subnets were messed up icon_eek.gif

Nice catch icon_thumright.gif

It looks like your DNS servers are on a different subnet, so if you can't find them, you won't be able to resolve domain names. You may technically have internet access since your gateway seems right (at least in your first post), but you would have to access everything via IPs.

Like posted above, try having everything in the 192.168.1.x subnet (or whatever you want, just make it consistent).
    Thats the wierd thing.

It seems when they all use the 'wireless network card':
    Local XP Machine
    Virtual Server 1 (running on local xp machine)
    Virtual Server 2 (running on local xp machine)

They are given unique IP addresses, all of which are on the same subnet mask they then give the IP conflict.

None of the IP addresses are actually the same, I think it just doesnt like using more than 1 network adapater (unless NATt'ed) for each machine physical or virtual.

Full details of each machine are below:

Physical XP Machine:
    Network Device: Wireless Network Card
    IP: 192.168.1.3
    Subnet: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: 192.168.1.100
    DHCP Server: 192.168.1.100
    DNS: 192.168.4.100 & 192.168.8.100
    Default gateway, DHCP, DNS are all given out by the wireless router

When both devices are set to use the Wireless card also the following is true:
    Virtual DC
    IP: 192.168.24.1
    Default Gateway: 192.168.24.100
    DNS: 192.168.24.1

Virtual MS
    IP: 192.168.24.2
    Default Gateway: 192.168.24.100
    DNS: 192.168.24.1

If I change them to use the 192.168.1.x physical IP it still states there is an ip conflict (even when staticly assigning a free IP). After doing this though the 2 servers will not talk to each other, even when changing the gateways and DNS.

Essentially I need to create 2 servers that work using my wireless access point, using the single wireless card in my desktop, but interact independantly of the rest of my machines in my house.

Hope that makes sense.
    Just found a section on my wireless router setup pages for 'Advanced Routing'

It gives the below detail:
    Operating Mode : If the router is hosting your Internet connection, select Gateway mode. If another router exists on your network, select Router mode.
    Select Set Number : This is the unique route number, you may set up to 20 routes.
    Route Name : Enter the name you would like to assign to this route.
    Destination LAN IP : This is the remote host to which you would like to assign the static route.
    Subnet Mask : Determines the host and the network portion.

The wireless router/access point is in effect hosting my internet connection (as its connected directly to the incoming cable modem from my ISP.
    There fore I may have to setup another network segment to allow the 192.168.24.x range to access the internet independntly of my 192.168.1.x range.

Would that sound about right? SHooting in the dark now.
    Wow there is some funky stuff going on there, im not sure why your getting those dns values from dhcp on your physical box, if you have a fairly standard home set up then they should point to your physical router as well as the gateway settings.

Likewise i your virtulised boxes if your gateway setting is pointing to neither a physical or software based router then your going to run into problems outside of the intergrated zones set up on your 2k3 box.

Im not sure about your wireless settings I dont really think that it should affect it too much because the vm's are just presented with a standard intel network card on their level.

You could add a static route in to direct traffic based on its destination subnet (ie anything that isnt in your virtual subnet but as before it sounds like it should be a fairly straightforward network so should not really require it.

One thing I might be tempted to do at this stage is make sure the VM files are safe somewhere and uninstall and reinstall the Virtual application to see if this helps.

Other than that I would wait for somebody more intelligent than me to pop along and give you a good answer!

This is definitely one of those ones where you'd want to rock up to his house with a few beers and figure it out!
    Kind Regards
    Dale Scriven