70-652 passed

bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
Yes I know...I know...I know....I should be getting on with finishing the MCSE track but whilst waiting for my next book to arrive I picked up my Windows Server 2008 Hyper-V unleashed book and before you know it I'd booked the exam. Well that was around a month or so ago and I sat and passed this one this morning with an 807. I know what I need to brush up on and I'm happy with the score.

Resources:
- Windows Server 2008 Hyper-V Unleashed (SAMS) - Excellent book, I'd recommend this one (even if you don't specifically want to do the hyper-v exam) and it covers SCVMM2008 too.

- Technet - Some good info and procedures in there, as you'd expect.

- MS Free E-Learning for Hyper-V and SCVMM2008 - Great for an intro/overview

- Played around a lot with Hyper-V and SCVMM2008, this is essential

The exam itself was 47 questions over 90 mins, and if you're planning on taking it do not forget SCVMM too! I'm really glad I got stuck into learning Hyper-V and the SCVMM2008 intro it gave me. It made a good change from the 2003 track (I was feeling a bit burned out after doing the 291/293 exams) and I really enjoyed studying and reading the Hyper-V unleashed book, so much so I couldn't put the book down, stop reading the Technet resources or playing around with the software.

I'd best get back to trying to finish the MCSE then (with some further SCVMM2008 work in the background of course ;), I will be doing that one at some point in the future too).

Cheers all!
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Welcome to the club icon_cool.gif

Did you see there is also an SCVMM exam as well? It was in beta a little while ago, but it doesn't look like it's be released yet. The code is 70-403.

It's nice to mix up your studies a bit. Good luck with finishing up your MCSE!
  • bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    dynamik wrote:
    Welcome to the club icon_cool.gif

Did you see there is also an SCVMM exam as well? It was in beta a little while ago, but it doesn't look like it's be released yet. The code is 70-403.

It's nice to mix up your studies a bit. Good luck with finishing up your MCSE!

Thanks!

Yes, which begs the question why have so much of it in the 'Hyper-V' exam (I know you beta pimps thought the same which is why I made sure to get to grips with it as part of the hyper-V studies).
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • dave0212dave0212 Member Posts: 287
    Congrats on another pass mate

Another exam down, another million to go :D

I am sure you will make MCSE in no time, maybe even squeeze in the 298 before Christmas (you have 3 weeks icon_eek.gif )
    This week I have achieved unprecedented levels of unverifiable productivity

Working on
    Learning Python and OSCP
  • ladyfoxladyfox Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I was thinking of taking this exam. I have Hyper-V at home but not SCVMM, what would you say the percentage is of SCVMM questions? Any other interesting things thrown into the exam that it would be worth preparing for?
  • darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    Congrats!

Virtualization is definitely a fun technology to work with.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    ladyfox wrote:
    I was thinking of taking this exam. I have Hyper-V at home but not SCVMM, what would you say the percentage is of SCVMM questions? Any other interesting things thrown into the exam that it would be worth preparing for?

Nah, it's Hyper-V and SCVMM. SCVMM was the big surprise; I really don't know why they bothered to create a separate SCVMM exam. I guess that one goes even more in-depth. You can download an evaluation copy here: http://www.microsoft.com/systemcenter/virtualmachinemanager/en/us/default.aspx
  • bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    ladyfox wrote:

You'd need to study SCVMM in as much depth as you do the Hyper-V stuff, there's more than you think! As Dynamik says it's Hyper-V and SCVMM (as listed on the MS details page for the 70-652 exam) that you need to know and be able to use confidently.
  • ladyfoxladyfox Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Okay, I've booked the exam ... lets give it a try. Are there any SIMs in the exam? I am guessing not but thought I'd check.