Options

Hi, everyone... Could use some advice

sports141990sports141990 Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
This is my first post here at this website, and I could use any comments you guys have.
I have just started school 3 months ago and wanted some advice on certifications. My final goal is to be a CCIE. This first year of school are many of the basic topics. A+, Net+, Server, Security, Linux, Cisco, Advanced Cisco, and a few others.
I just finished Network+, and A+ and I feel like I'm very prepared for the both tests, but I feel like Network+ is the only one relevant to CCIE. Should I take the Network+ and A+ or do I really only need Network+, and also where do I go from there?
Do I wait until I finish up both cisco courses, and get those certs or is there other certifications I should get as well?
I also want to get started on cisco now because we don't cover cisco for another 4 months, so what are good products or videos to buy?
One last question:
Is it logical to say that if i pass the CCENT, I will be able to get an entry job next year with Cisco making around $40,000?
Any comments are good comments here, so let me know what you think.
Again, Thank you to all who comment back

Comments

• Options
    sports141990sports141990 Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Any responses will help greatly...I'm just looking for some advice
  • Options
    gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would take both the A+ and Network+ exams. That will give you pretty good fundamental understanding of both networks and computers.

If you want to get a head start on the Cisco stuff you can always do a self study. Check on the CCNA FAQ here on this site for ideas on books\equipment.

Its really hard to stay what you can do/make when you get out of school. There are way too many variables, some of which you can control. The things you can control are studying hard (you seem to be doing well so far) and trying to get some experience with an internship or volunteering. A little experience would be most beneficial and give you a leg up on other students trying to compete with a job.

Check in the with your career services to see if they can offer any help. Try to build a good relationship with your profs as well. They may know some people in the industry or still work in the industry themselves and may be able to help you out.

Most important keep your head up. I'm sure you will be experiencing some bumps along the way and some things don't work out exactly has you planned. Just roll with it and always move forward
  • Options
    procmanprocman Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    hey man, as to the 40k not according to the users here. im workin on A+ and CCNA. if ur goal is cisco may i reccomend the CCENT/CCNA forum here http://techexams.net/forums/viewforum.php?f=7
    K-Meleon 1.5.1
    Compaq Presario 723RS
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Salary is determined by many factors including and not limited to:
    1. location
    2. company
    3. competition
    4. you - talent, presentation, personal skills, knowledge etc...

You will need to prove you are worth that much money before someone will just hire you and pay you that out the door.

Gain all the knowledge you can, but the salary really depends where you live, who you are as a person, and a bit of who you know.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    TravR1TravR1 Member Posts: 332
    Plantwiz wrote:
    Salary is determined by many factors including and not limited to:
    1. location
    2. company
    3. competition
    4. you - talent, presentation, personal skills, knowledge etc...

You will need to prove you are worth that much money before someone will just hire you and pay you that out the door.

Gain all the knowledge you can, but the salary really depends where you live, who you are as a person, and a bit of who you know.

+1 !!

Certs will get you the interview, give you a chance to be heard, and ect... you still need to prove yourself, start from the bottom and work up. Build some relations and references, and in due time your efforts should pay off.
    Austin Community College, certificate of completion: C++ Programming.
    Sophomore - Computer Science, Mathematics