2620XM "ERROR: No system memory detected"

kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
I bought a 2620XM off eBay, when powered up I get the bootstrap information then "ERROR: No system memory detected". I replaced the memory with some known good memory, but I get the same message. I'm assuming there is something wrong with the mainboard itself and that router is trash, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to see if anyone here knows of a solution.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    What memory you putting into it? An old boot ROM won't like 128MB SIMMs. Chances are its broken anyway. Complain to the seller.
  • kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I put 32MB in. The seller promptly refunded my money, but said not too bother sending it back due to the high shipping charges to/from my area. I was hoping I could fix it as none of my other routers can run 12.4 IOS. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to save up some money and find another one.
  • boostinbadgerboostinbadger Member Posts: 256
    Are you sure this isn't the error you get when someone enters the "write erase" command and reloading, leaving the startup config empty?
  • /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    Are you sure this isn't the error you get when someone enters the "write erase" command and reloading, leaving the startup config empty?

I may be wrong here, but shouldn't the router also enter setup mode if startup config is empty? If he's just getting that error, I would assume something is hosed.

Like I said, I may be wrong. I don't have tons of experience with Cisco hardware.
    Yeah, it's definitely not just missing the startup-config. At this point I'm pretty sure that it's either dead or I have a lot of bad memory. Thanks for trying to help.
  • boostinbadgerboostinbadger Member Posts: 256
    Yeah, you are right /usr. It would enter setup mode.
  • mamonomamono Member Posts: 776 ■■□□□□□□□□
    This is a guess, but sounds to me like it cannot access the NVRAM.
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    mamono wrote:
    This is a guess, but sounds to me like it cannot access the NVRAM.
    System memory is the RAM.
    Woohoo, turns out the boot rom was bad. I replaced it and now the router is working fine.

Thanks for everyone's help!
  • jpnelsonjpnelson Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    And you got your money back!!