Token Ring question

TechBoy22TechBoy22 Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
Im a little confused so can someone tell me if i have the idea correct?

A token ring is on a physical Star topolgy while the logical token is located inside a HUB which signals from the origin computer Mac address to the Destination Mac address, once data is created it is checked by the FCS and then sent along the token? Does that make any sense? Sorry if it sounds stupid, im just trying to understand this.

And with a token ring topology, there is no collision correct? Is that because data is sent by network address to each workstation?
Michael

Dreams are made up of small ideas with BIG pictures. Focus is the key that unlocks the door to success.

Comments

• aordalaordal Member Posts: 372
    Basically on a token ring network, only 1 computer can talk at a time. Think of it as holding the Conch shell. While it's sending data nobody else can send data. When it's done the token or "conch" is up for grabs to whoever is next in line to send data.

Here's a nice link for ya.
    http://computer.howstuffworks.com/ethernet17.htm
  • TravR1TravR1 Member Posts: 332
    Congradulations on your A+ Techboy...

That link posted above is great, and gives you more than enough information for Network+. Don't stress Token Ring too much, Token networks are rare. I've heard governments may still deploy a few tokens but that's about it.
    Austin Community College, certificate of completion: C++ Programming.
    Sophomore - Computer Science, Mathematics
  • TechBoy22TechBoy22 Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thank you traV. Although i have yet to take the A+ exam due to finacial set backs, I am also very focused more towards my Net+ exam. I also have an interview with a company that handles servers and network installations. I have spoken with the president of the company a few times these past 2 weeks and he has had to reschedual my interview. He seems very enthused to meet with me and I have a good feeling that it will go well. So right now my main goal is to get this Net+ certification.

Thanks again for the website as I find it pretty useful. I appreciate the responce as it seems very rare that I do get responces on here no matter what question I ask. Maybe Im not askin the right questions or they sound stupid to people. I like this site but at the same time I find it hard to believe even a question like this gets ignored. Maybe its because this site has more Cisco and Microsoft people? Idk. Thanks again though.
    Michael

Dreams are made up of small ideas with BIG pictures. Focus is the key that unlocks the door to success.
  • TravR1TravR1 Member Posts: 332
    You did exactly what I did then. I leared A+ real well, but couldn't take it from lack of money. But I used my knowledge to get my first job in technology and started right away working on Network+. When I had the money Network+ was fresh in my mind so I took that test and passed. Now I'm working on Security+, and the MS 270. So that's basically where I'm at now. I might go back and get A+ if my company will reimburse me... which they use to, but they are pinching pennies right now.
    Austin Community College, certificate of completion: C++ Programming.
    Sophomore - Computer Science, Mathematics