Certificates for Programmers

vivek_master146vivek_master146 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi Friends,
This is my first post in this forum. My name is Vivek. I am from delhi,India. I am doing a degree in Computer Applications(BCA). I am operating PC with Window OS since 6 years and i am always hungry to gain more and more knowledge of computers. I have learn C,C++,VB programming and SEO,Flash through self-study.

I really liked this forum to discuss about IT certifications but i a really disappointed icon_sad.gif

There are lots of good certifications for Hardware and Networking Engineers but there are hardly any certification for application programmer (Except SCJP) Though there are Microsoft's MCTS,MCSD but they are very advanced level certificates. (Not like A+ and N+).

My aim is to develop softwares for windows, web applications, small games etc.

Would Java be good for application development as compared to VB,VB.NET and C# ?

Comments

• nevolvednevolved Member Posts: 131
    Yeah, Java is very mainstream right now. After knowing C++, Java was an absolute cake walk. There are a few syntax changes, and a few big changes, but they are all easy and quick to learn.
  • vivek_master146vivek_master146 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Expecting more replies.... icon_rolleyes.gif
  • amp2030amp2030 Member Posts: 253

Take time difference into consideration... icon_eek.gif
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I think C# is going to be a better fit for you. Use it to go after those MS certs. If you think they're too advanced, spend some more time with the language. They won't seem so bad in 6-12 months.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Would Java be good for application development as compared to VB,VB.NET and C# ?
    It depends on the operating system. With .NET languages (C#, VB.NET) your code will only run natively on Windows (although there is a .NET emulator for Linux called Mono). Java runs on everything, but every computer needs to have Java installed first to run your programs. Some devices (like many cell phones and Blackberrys) only support the Java environment. C++ is an excellent choice because program written in it can be ported to any operating system, and it requires no run-time environment.

If you are interested in writing programs for Windows only then I'd suggest sticking with C# or C++ and .NET. If you might also want to write programs for Linux or Mac OS X, go with Java or C++.
    Thanks for reply.

Can I develop Windows application in Java because Java is basically for web programming and not for application?

I like .Net because of the Visual Studio. It contains GUI controls like buttons,menus which will we less time consuming.

Does Java has GUI?

I am interested to develop good applications,softwares,small games for Windows.

Is C# very tough and time-consuming to program?

As far as programming is concerned I have good grasp of C and I am going to learn C++ in my current semester.

I think it will be enough to learn C#.
    How is this course:-

This program builds skills to design, implement, and administer SQL 2005 databases. It also builds skills to develop console-based and windows-based applications using VC#.NET. The program discusses the implementation of Object-oriented concepts using C# language. In addition, it introduces implementation of various programming concepts, such as threads, file handling, delegates, attributes, and reflection using C# language.

The program discusses the process of designing and implementing databases. It also explains how to manage a database server. In addition, it focuses on enabling the students to effectively design, implement, and administer a database.

Equipped with this strong foundation on OOPS and Databases, the learners then gets exposed to Windows-based GUI Application development using Rapid Application Development (RAD), on the .NET framework.

The program also provides an insight into the concepts related to XML schemas, Extensible Style Sheet Language Transformations (XSLT), and XPath. Further, using the programming and database skills learned/known, learners develop skills on database connectivity technologies such as ADO.NET to create data centric applications on .NET platform.

Program Contents: The content aims to:
    This program consists of the following modules:

Module 1: Object Oriented Programming Using C#
    Module 2: Designing, Implementing, and Administering Databases Using SQL Server 2005
    Module 3: GUI Applications Development Using .NET Framework
    Module 4: Developing Database Applications Using ADO.NET and XML

Duration – 162 hours

Eligibility – 1) Basic knowledge about the various parts of the computer and should know the basic difference between hardware and software.

2)Ability to build flowcharts/write pseudocodes. The student shouZ4ld be able to represent logic, sequence tasks for execution, and implement conditional operations and iteration.
  • jryantechjryantech Member Posts: 623
    Thanks for reply.

Can I develop Windows application in Java because Java is basically for web programming and not for application?

I like .Net because of the Visual Studio. It contains GUI controls like buttons,menus which will we less time consuming.

Does Java has GUI?

As far as programming is concerned I have good grasp of C and I am going to learn C++ in my current semester.

I think it will be enough to learn C#.

Java is a good first language I believe... it used to be C but now-n-days I believe Java is the place to start.

Learn the basics of Java then jump into C#... C# and VB are used in .NET and since C# is similar to Java go with that and forget about Visual Basic.

Whatever you plan to do, do not skip Java.
    "It's Microsoft versus mankind with Microsoft having only a slight lead."
    -Larry Ellison, CEO, Oracle

Studying: SCJA
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Java is also capable of making Windows desktop applications that are not dependent on Web-based functionality.
    I like .Net because of the Visual Studio. It contains GUI controls like buttons,menus which will we less time consuming. Does Java has GUI?
    Java development environments, like Eclipse, have a GUI similar to Visual Studio.
    C# is Microsoft's preferred language for developing games on Windows. All games on the Xbox are written in C# using XNA.
    No more tough or time-consuming than Java. The language syntax is very similar, but the APIs are different.
    Then you are not too far away from C#. Learning the .NET Framework (APIs) and object-oriented design will be your bigger challenges.
    Currently I am studying C++ with the help of "C++ Primer" Book. Is it ok?

I wonder how to make decent applications(some big softwares) using C,C++. Currently I have just studied K & R book for C programming. Is that book enough.

How to do advance programming in C,C++ ?

These books just cover basic concepts like data types,operators,basic I/O functions,file handling,dynamic memory allocation, pointers etc. These will just clear the basic concept.

In Universities only basics of programming is taught.

I learn VB through self-study with the help of VB 6 BLACK BOOK BY STEVE HOLZNER.

I really liked VB. Its awesome. I created many good programs using it. VB has RAD feature.

I created many small games like Snake and ladder, screen capture software with VB. It was much easy. It hardly took 50-100 lines of code with few controls. If I were told to create this in C or C++ i wouldn't be able to create it so easily. It would have took much time. Even in VC++ it would have took time.
    Please tell how is this course:-

This program builds skills to design, implement, and administer SQL 2005 databases. It also builds skills to develop console-based and windows-based applications using VC#.NET. The program discusses the implementation of Object-oriented concepts using C# language. In addition, it introduces implementation of various programming concepts, such as threads, file handling, delegates, attributes, and reflection using C# language.

The program discusses the process of designing and implementing databases. It also explains how to manage a database server. In addition, it focuses on enabling the students to effectively design, implement, and administer a database.

Equipped with this strong foundation on OOPS and Databases, the learners then gets exposed to Windows-based GUI Application development using Rapid Application Development (RAD), on the .NET framework.

The program also provides an insight into the concepts related to XML schemas, Extensible Style Sheet Language Transformations (XSLT), and XPath. Further, using the programming and database skills learned/known, learners develop skills on database connectivity technologies such as ADO.NET to create data centric applications on .NET platform.

Program Contents: The content aims to:
    This program consists of the following modules:

Module 1: Object Oriented Programming Using C#
    Module 2: Designing, Implementing, and Administering Databases Using SQL Server 2005
    Module 3: GUI Applications Development Using .NET Framework
    Module 4: Developing Database Applications Using ADO.NET and XML

Duration – 162 hours

Eligibility – 1) Basic knowledge about the various parts of the computer and should know the basic difference between hardware and software.

2)Ability to build flowcharts/write pseudocodes. The student shouZ4ld be able to represent logic, sequence tasks for execution, and implement conditional operations and iteration.[/i][/b]
  • jryantechjryantech Member Posts: 623
    Depends what books you are using, how accredited the teacher/course is and how much money it is.
    "It's Microsoft versus mankind with Microsoft having only a slight lead."
    -Larry Ellison, CEO, Oracle

Studying: SCJA
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Not to knock you, but "expecting" replies isn't a very positive way of approaching a question. People will answer your questions as best they can, when they see your thread, and if they have the answer to begin with. Most people on TechExams are friendly folks, so be patient, and you'll get all the answers you can handle. :D

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • rubberToerubberToe Inactive Imported Users Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    How to do advance programming in C,C++ ? [url]

You need to learn data structures. For example: linked-lists, binary trees, stacks, queues, hash tables, etc etc.

Learn about the Win32 API or systems calls for Linux / Unix[/url]
    @^^^^

I have already learn these things in Data Structure subject.
    I just want to ask that the course syllabus which i posted enough for MCTS 70-536 and 526A exam?

One more question. Should i go for MCTS : 2.0 or 3.5 ? Will it be difficult to go for 3.5 without knowledge of .NET framework 2.0?
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    3.5 is essentially an extension if 2.0. 2.0 isn't a prerequisite to learning 3.5.

I believe 2.0 is the standard for now since 3.5 is relatively new. If you were going to focus on getting a job right now, you should probably go with 2.0. However, since you're just starting out, 3.5 might be a better option as it will be more widely used by the time you learn it.