Back on the CCDA Wagon! UPDATE: Passed

darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
I decided rather than scrap my studies for CCDA, I'm going to cram it in the next two weeks. I've almost finished the book and will begin doing the case studies this weekend. I skipped all the case studies so I could take a crack at them after learning everything she has to offer.

I'll be asking lots of questions here I'm sure as I get closer to my date, but does anyone have any advice for the last week or two of studying for CCDA? I'm still very unfamiliar with the testing style since it's going to be theory and no labs, so any advice helps!

Comments

• GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    Its an interesting exam I guess. Its like CCNA but without the sims, and without the config questions.

If you have the quick reference sheets, go over those. Take a look at the case studies in the Cisco Press book.

Also make sure you know how to do voip bandwidth requirements calculations! :P
  • darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    There's so many calculations in this chapter.

You mean this one?

Trunk capacity = (number of simultaneous calls to be supported) * (bandwidth required
    per call)
    Do you know of any easy way to remember all that information? That's a lot of information and calculations. I assumed I would need to know the information and how to do the calculations, but not know them by heart!! icon_eek.gif
    Having gone over most of the BCMSN topics by now, I would suggest anyone going for the CCDA to look at Wireless, VOIP, and Security in a BCMSN book or video series! It will really help you out.

Looking forward to taking CCDA soon!
  • wat08wat08 Member Posts: 128
    darkerosxx wrote:

How soon is "soon"?
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Good luck!
    -Daniel
  • mamonomamono Member Posts: 776 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I believe that this is one of those times when Transcender comes to the rescue!

http://www.transcender.com/dept.aspx?dept_id=120400

I think that for this type of exam, it will be imperative that practice questions be used over and over and over and over and over and over until the formulas are do clearly imprinted in your mind that you start to see them in your dreams and while you drive to work. People's faces will have the outline of formulas. icon_eek.gif
    wat08 wrote:
    darkerosxx wrote:

How soon is "soon"?

I had to put it off again. When I get close to taking it, I end up not being able to finish my study strategy, so I have to put it off.

It will likely be a few months before I can take it at this point.
    Got my CCDA scheduled for Tuesday!
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Woah, big change of heart there! but good luck mate!
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • malcyboodmalcybood Member Posts: 900 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good luck,

Know your VoIP, Security and design models inside out!

This exam gave me brain strain with the amount of info you need to remember!
    Hahah, damn you, you beat me to it! Well, good luck to you, sir. I hope you post an in-depth analysis of your impression of the level of difficulty!!! PLEASE!
    wat08 wrote:
    Hahah, damn you, you beat me to it! Well, good luck to you, sir. I hope you post an in-depth analysis of your impression of the level of difficulty!!! PLEASE!

Haha, I'll do my best. Appreciate the good luck wishes!
    Well, I passed and earned CCDA this morning!

The exam really was rough. Much more rough than I expected and I'm thinking they made it so rough to make it compare to the CCNA in difficulty even though they're working with mostly theory.

It had obscure terms and theories that I don't think are necessary to say you're a design associate. I won't say anything specific, but I remember most of the obscure things were in the Cisco Press Quick Reference Sheets. If you look at something in there or in the Diane Teare book and think "Oh I probably don't need to know that", that's exactly something you should study.

My strategy was to study the overall theory(quickly read the Diane Teare book), then study it again(read it again plus the Quick Reference Sheets), then study the little things I thought weren't necessary(scour both books for definitions/terms/formulas), then do that again(scour the books), then go back over the theory(quickly read over the Diane Teare Book and the Quick Reference Sheets)...that's why I kept having to put it off because I never had time to make that a full stream of study time. I think if you follow this strategy using both books, you'll do well. I can't say anything for the other CCDA book by Cisco Press because I didn't use it. I was taking a risk there, but I just didn't have the time to read it.

The case studies in the Diane Teare book won't help you for the exam (in my opinion), but will definitely make you a better Design Associate. They're really good and I think it helps you see how the theory/technology relates to real life situations. I highly suggest doing them.

Good luck to anyone else going for the CCDA! It was definitely fun for me and I'm happy I did it. I feel like I know a lot more about networking design and what to look for in equipment based on what customers want/need.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congratulations!

Thanks for the detailed feedback.
  • ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats! It is indeed a fun exam. If you ever have it in your plans, you will LOVE the ARCH exam material, too! :)icon_wink.gif
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

Congrats!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    congrats on the pass!!
    ITdude wrote:
    Congrats! It is indeed a fun exam. If you ever have it in your plans, you will LOVE the ARCH exam material, too! :)icon_wink.gif

Cool! Would you suggest, when I get that far, to go for the ARCH before or after BCMSN/BSCI?
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations! icon_thumright.gif

I think some people are just genetically predisposed to have issues with the DESGN exam.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    darkerosxx wrote:
    ITdude wrote:

Cool! Would you suggest, when I get that far, to go for the ARCH before or after BCMSN/BSCI?

I would definitely wait till you pass both of those exams and preferable the entire CCNP track if you are going that route. The design aspects will make a whole lot more sense if you do so. Plus for me it provided a view that helps put together and give you a better perspective of the bigger picture(at least it did for me). icon_wink.gif
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

Congratulations! Nice feedback! :) I'm a bit twitchy thinking about studying for this exam, I'll get around to it eventually.
    Congrats man. Did you have any background in voice before tackling this exam?
    wat08 wrote:
    Congrats man. Did you have any background in voice before tackling this exam?

No. Voice was actually my lowest scoring section. icon_confused.gif
  • miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    Congrats, I hope to be right behind you on passing this exam. I am about 5 weeks in and hope to complete it around the 1st.
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
    Thanks again for all congrats!

FYI: Passing the CCDA *does* refresh CCENT/CCNA. My recertification dates were all extended to December 9, 2011.