Test Router/Switch Vulnerabilities

r_durantr_durant Member Posts: 486 ■■■□□□□□□□
I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this question to be in, but I assume I will be guided accordingly...

Is there, or what penetration tools are available that would allow me to run against routers or switches, or even a pix firewall to test for possible security vulnerabilities?

Or something that says, well you have it configured this way, but this way is the recommended best practice?

Or even if the IOS that I'm running is vulnerable because of these listed vulnerabilities...

We don't have a pen test pending or anything, I just want to know and note what state our devices are in...

My devices range from 805, 1700, 2600, 2800, 3800 routers and 2950, 3550 and 3750 switches, plus pix 515E running 6.2 and 7.2.

Thanks,
Ryan
CCNA (Expired...), MCSE, CWNA, BSc Computer Science
Working on renewing CCNA!

Comments

• laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    well I use nmap plus a few others.....

take a look here for starters and see how you get on....

http://insecure.org/

worth looking at the top 100hundred tools while your there.....
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • mikearamamikearama Member Posts: 749
    I'm a fan of the Security Audit in the SDM of the newer ISR's. If any of your routers are ISR's, run the audit, and make note of the suggestions made in the gui.

After making notes of the places where we wanted to implement secure policies in our ISR's, I manually made those same changes, where possible, on the rest of our network devices.

You just have to have one ISR to be able to see and take advantage of cisco's best practices.
    There are only 10 kinds of people... those who understand binary, and those that don't.

CCIE Studies: Written passed: Jan 21/12 Lab Prep: Hours reading: 385. Hours labbing: 110

Taking a time-out to add the CCVP. Capitalizing on a current IPT pilot project.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
  • laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    while i agree the security audit of the newer isr is good and indeed does help you implement best pratices, i think if your looking to test your systems there's no better way than using what the bad guys use

i've not got that book yet dyn, but it is on my list....

ive got a few security books.... grey hat hacking, couple of the hacking exposed books, a couple of cissp as well as the usual firewall ips course books...
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953
    r_durant wrote:
    I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this question to be in, but I assume I will be guided accordingly...

Is there, or what penetration tools are available that would allow me to run against routers or switches, or even a pix firewall to test for possible security vulnerabilities?

Or something that says, well you have it configured this way, but this way is the recommended best practice?

Or even if the IOS that I'm running is vulnerable because of these listed vulnerabilities...

We don't have a pen test pending or anything, I just want to know and note what state our devices are in...

My devices range from 805, 1700, 2600, 2800, 3800 routers and 2950, 3550 and 3750 switches, plus pix 515E running 6.2 and 7.2.

Thanks,
    Ryan

r_durant,

Does your organization have a security policy in place?
  • seuss_ssuesseuss_ssues Member Posts: 629
    Checkout Nessus its one of the most comprehensive network vulnerability scanners.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It looks like BackTrack 3 has some Cisco-specific tools as well.
  • r_durantr_durant Member Posts: 486 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks guys...

I'm going to have a look at the tools each of you mentioned and see what they can do...

Tech-airman...I'd have to say no, there's not a whole lot of structure in place right now...
    CCNA (Expired...), MCSE, CWNA, BSc Computer Science
    Working on renewing CCNA!
  • Met44Met44 Member Posts: 194
    There is also the Router Audit Tool (RAT) from the Center for Internet Security:

http://www.cisecurity.org/bench_cisco.html

It is no longer actively updated, but it came recommended to me. I have never used it myself. They also have a PIX tool, and other tools for paying members.