life after ccnp

6stitches6stitches Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
ccnp natural progression

I was wondering what people do after ccnp. I still need 3 tests, but what do most people do after ccnp. I know that ultimately it is the ccie, but what about ccip and ccdp? Does it matter much in the job market if you have ccnp+ccip (or ccnp+ccdp) vs just ccnp? Does ccip or ccdp prepares you more for the ccie?

Please throw in your .02$
TIA

Comments

• keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think it all helps providing different ways of doing things
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    CCIE requires a lot of time and effort (not to mention travel to do the required labs), so I guess the first thing would be to ask yourself whether or not you want to go for the CCIE.

If you don't, then you need a game plan to keep your CCNP current.

I think you need to pass a professional level exam at least once every three years.
  • lildeezullildeezul Member Posts: 404
    it all depends on what you want to do, or what your job status is.. Ask yourself some questions. would you like to do voice, securty, design, ISP work ???

as for me, i am going to do the CCIP after the NP, becuase i want to work in a Service provider environment, but i reallly reallly really really love security, so the CCSP is after my CCIP
    NHSCA National All-American Wrestler 135lb
  • 6stitches6stitches Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am not sure what I want to do, I think I would like to do pre-sales, pre-sale design. The other idea is just to go back and do unix/linux again and just have a ccnp to pad my resume. I guess ccdp would be better for presale, or security because it's a hot topic.

I did security for 2 years mostly at layer2 and wireless stuff, which spark some interest with ccnp. But most of my work experience is with unix. I realised that unix/linux sorta sucks because it changes all the time and there are so many flavors and software, sick and tired of it. Nothing in linux is really structured like networking, everyone do their own thing and then I have to support it. it blows.

I don't think I can do ccie, because I have no real experience in L3 networking, just with the lab I have at home. So I am looking more towards ccdp or something else.
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    6stitches wrote:
    ccnp natural progression

I was wondering what people do after ccnp. I still need 3 tests, but what do most people do after ccnp. I know that ultimately it is the ccie, but what about ccip and ccdp? Does it matter much in the job market if you have ccnp+ccip (or ccnp+ccdp) vs just ccnp? Does ccip or ccdp prepares you more for the ccie?

Please throw in your .02$
    TIA

You have some good server background there, particularly with unix. With the CCNP I would try and harden it for a couple of year with a proper network role if you can find one. That shouldn't be too difficult as your unix background is a better lever into pure networking than MS in my opinion.
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I finished the CCNP and got a job doing something completely unrelated to routing and switching :D

I think it just depends on your endgame. My goal is the CCIE RS. I felt that the CCIP would facilitate that because of the shared information between the CCIP and the CCIE RS. It never hurts to have more professional-level Cisco certifications, either.

I would say that CCDP wouldn't help the CCIE cause very much, as that information is much more abstract and difficult to apply to the CCIE.

As I said though, it depends on what you want to do.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • jezg76jezg76 Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think I'm actually going to take a step back. I decided I'm going to hold off on doing the CCIP for a bit and do the CCNA:Security. Looking at the objectives, it appears to be a lighter version of the ISCW so it will be nice to do more of a review for a cert instead of diving face first into new concepts.

Not to mention, it may free up a bit more time to avoid the frying pan from the wife, which I almost received while navigating the CCNP...
    policy-map type inspect TACO
    class type inspect BELL
    drop log
  • gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I want to go: -

CCNP -> CCVP -> CCIE: R&S -> CCIE: Voice

Might do CCIP somewhere too, but that's the main that I want to achieve (for now, at least)
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    My plan for post-CCNP life, (after a quick trip through Microsoft-land,) is to go for CCIP, then see what I want to do. I may pursue the CCIE R&S, or I may just do the written exam in order to keep myself certified and be able to renew everything in one fell swoop. I figure, the written exam is also handy to have done in case I want to have some leverage for making a would-be employer pay for my lab exam and training. Either way, I'm doing some schooling as well, so it'll probably be quite a while before I finish CCNP, let alone think about what happens afterwards.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • tmlerdaltmlerdal Member Posts: 80 ■■□□□□□□□□
    My life after CCNP included taking a small break from the books. After hitting them pretty non-stop for so long, as well as dealing with the problems at work in the middle of all of it, was nice to have some breathing room.

I did jump to the CCIP after the break. Mainly for the QoS and BGP material. They both made the CCIE blueprints, so figured if I had to study them for the IE eventually, why not go through the CCIP as a foundation for the CCIE learning.

I'm in the middle of another break, but this time because of other things going on that I just can't dedicate the time to any other certs. Toying with taking a little break from Cisco and go through either the CEH or more security related tracks.
  • redwarriorredwarrior Member Posts: 285
    My plan (this week! icon_lol.gif ) :

CCNP - CCNA-Wireless - CCDA - CCDP - CCNA-Voice - CCIE R&S

I figure that ougtta be pretty well-rounded. ;)

CCNP Progress

ONT, ISCW, BCMSN - DONE

BSCI - In Progress

http://www.redwarriornet.com/ <--My Cisco Blog
  • APAAPA Member Posts: 959
    CCIP is next up for me :)

Seeing as I now work in the SP environment........ which leads into the first main goals of CCIE:R&S & CCIE:SP

icon_lol.gif

Not asking to much of myself I hope.... :p

CCNA | CCNA:Security | CCNP | CCIP
    JNCIA:JUNOS | JNCIA:EX | JNCIS:ENT | JNCIS:SEC
    JNCIS:SP | JNCIP:SP
    Don't laugh at someone with dreams... someone who doesn't have dreams doesn't have a lot...
  • 6stitches6stitches Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hmm.. IP does follow the blueprint, maybe I will be doing that after the ccnp. I passed switching and will write the bsci in a week. I hope the last 2 exams are not as bad. I feel alot better about bsci now, but in the beginning, it was information overload.
  • APAAPA Member Posts: 959
    all I can say is don't under estimate any of the exams mate.....

I found BCMSN to be one of the easier exams of the CCNP track even though it had quite alot of topics :D

CCNA | CCNA:Security | CCNP | CCIP
    JNCIA:JUNOS | JNCIA:EX | JNCIS:ENT | JNCIS:SEC
    JNCIS:SP | JNCIP:SP
  • GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    It all depends where you want to go. I mean, you can make a great career with just the 'NP (obviously with some experience). I would say it depends on what you or your employers wants from you.
    GT-Rob wrote:
    It all depends where you want to go. I mean, you can make a great career with just the 'NP (obviously with some experience). I would say it depends on what you or your employers wants from you.

What employers want is neither here nor there... I want it all for me :D
    What employers want is neither here nor there... I want it all for me :D

i second that
  • CCIEWANNABECCIEWANNABE Banned Posts: 465
    my next goal is CCNA:Security, i test in two weeks. after that i think i'm going to plunge into the CCIE R&S icon_eek.gif i will be able to dedicate about 30 hours per week to study, so i should be able to get pretty far into the CCIE next year. i plan on building a lab with two pc's running 5 virtual routers on each, each router with its own NIC. then i will buy about 3-4 3550's and connect them to my virtual lab. total cost savings compared to actual ccie lab = about 10-11 grand. i figure it will cost about 2-3 grand on a good lab setup using gns3 and some 3550's.

good luck to those who go for ccie in 2009!
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I'm headed for the CCIP next. I think it will help a lot with the ultimate goal of the CCIE. While studying the BGP, QoS and MPLS I might as well get another cert along the way.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    My current plans are to complete the CCDA and then CCDP. I figured that would be the most bang for the buck, since it requires only 2 exams to complete another professional level certification. While studying for the CCDA, I am having trouble staying focused, so I have started the CCNA security to break up the theory of CCDA. So far CCDA seems to be a good review from CCNP, and CCNA security seems to be a good review from ISCW.
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
    i think this is what ill do..

after ISCW,, ill do the CCNA sec, since there is a big overlap, then after CCNA sec, hit up ONT And QOS exam at the same time and date, and then all i have is the BGP exam and MPLS... so that three certs....but i really want that CCIP.. after that its the CCSP.
  • ConstantlyLearningConstantlyLearning Member Posts: 445
    lildeezul wrote:
    i think this is what ill do..

after ISCW,, ill do the CCNA sec, since there is a big overlap, then after CCNA sec, hit up ONT And QOS exam at the same time and date, and then all i have is the BGP exam and MPLS... so that three certs....but i really want that CCIP.. after that its the CCSP.

Same as myself.

BSCI -> BCMSN -> ISCW -> CCNA Security -> ONT -> QOS -> BGP -> MPLS -> 'CCSP'
    "There are 3 types of people in this world, those who can count and those who can't"
    BSCI -> BCMSN -> ISCW -> ONT -> QOS -> CCNA: Voice -> CVOICE -> CIPT -> TUC -> GWGK.

That'll start it :D
  • shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    Once I knock out the CEH, I'm heading back into CCNP land. Well atleast those are my plans subject to change without notice or reason. :D
  • bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    For me, after CCNP, I'm going to go focus on the CCIE R/S as my end goal; I would rather use the momentum from CCNP until at least I finish the CCIE written and then take a "break" while I practice for the lab.

If you aim for nothing, you'll hit it with amazing accuracy!
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you aim for nothing, you'll hit it with amazing accuracy!

+1
  • IncInc Member Posts: 184
    I will go for CCIP next because:

1. BGP skills come in handy in daily life and also are essential for CCIE RS preparation
    2. MPLS also is interesting and since we have it running in core (I work for SP) a bonus to know

And also because these are the only two exams left to do :)

Although there is one other exam I am looking forward to - CCENT (I'm thinking 22 dec)
    It will make a nice christmas present :D