PASSED SY0-201 - How I did it

gurbathegreatgurbathegreat Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Just passed today with an 800 out of 900.

I have been reading around and it seems like there are some people scared to take the new 2008 version of Security+. Well there is no reason to fear this test.

If you have a decent understanding of security (what a DMZ is, what a worm is, etc...), then you can study ANY Security+ prep book and you will be fine.

If you are just beginning, then I would either suggest taking the older exam and studying from a well known prep book, or looking for some study materials for the new exam and study really hard.

I used some Security+ passport prep book, nothing special. The questions on the new exam are somewhat tricky. What I do like is that for questions with multiple answers, they tell you how many answers to pick. There was not a lot of port number questions. A lot of risk assessment and policy, questions for me. I know it varies, but that's just how it was for me.

So yea, finally have that weight off my shoulder. I am thinking about doing Server + next just for the hell of it, and then venture onto my MCSE, maybe CCNA if I can handle having sub netting at the front of my brain again.

If you have any questions, please let me know, I am more then willing to help anybody out.

Rob Gurba
A+, Network+, Security+

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congratulations!

Oh, and you're going to have to learn how to subnet for your MCSA/E, so you might as well go on to the CCNA ;)

Welcome to the forums :D
  • TravR1TravR1 Member Posts: 332
    Congradulations Rob!

I am studying for this new Security+ exam. I also have all the books ready to hit my Server+ after I pass Security+. Looks like you and I are in a similar boat.

Good luck with your study - keep us updated on your progress. :)
    Austin Community College, certificate of completion: C++ Programming.
    Sophomore - Computer Science, Mathematics
  • gurbathegreatgurbathegreat Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks.

I was just thinking though, is it really worth it to get Server+? I mean with having your Security+ which to me 'out-ranks' Server+ in the certification world, what would be the point of getting it?

The only reason I want to is just to say I have it, but will it really benefit me at all? Is it worth spending over 200 bucks on just so I can say I have it?

Just some thoughts. Does anyone have any good arguments as to why someone would get Server+?
  • gurbathegreatgurbathegreat Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I forgot to mention that there were a surprising amount of RADIUS/TACACS questions on the exam. They were worded VERY weird too. Just an FYI...
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I haven't seen a great demand for the Server+. It seems that other vendors, such as HP, require it in some circumstances. I don't think it's going to do a great deal for you in your typical interview. It's never going to hurt though. Plus, you can get the Server+ Certification Bible on Amazon for a few dollars used, so you should pick it up and go through it just for the sake of learning. It has good information. Whether you actually want to spend the money for the cert is up to you.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    Congratulations :)

And for the server+, the contents is different than security+, and the knowledge in the material is really good, im doing it, even though I know most of the material from experience.

My recommendation, go for Server+.

As for the CCNA and subnetting, go for Sybex book, the author has a very nice way for subnetting that will make subnetting in your head a piece of cake ! I used that book for my CCNA and it was just awesome :) Of course, go for CCNA.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• TravR1TravR1 Member Posts: 332
    I had an interview a few days ago... I'm interviewing for advancement.. and they were drilling me really hard on server hardware and operations. I think I knew enough to satisfy him.. but that's an example where Server+ would come in very useful.

+1 for the Server Bible. I have that in my collection. I spend like $3 then shipping. It's a great book. Lots of good information about environment control, UPS's, Server Racks, KMV, and RAID's. I can't wait til I'm done with Security+ so I can spend more time on it.
    Austin Community College, certificate of completion: C++ Programming.
    Sophomore - Computer Science, Mathematics
  • amidamaruamidamaru Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratz mate ;)

The CBT Comptia Security + 2008 and the new Sybex study material for this new exam version is out anyway ;)
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Congrats on the pass. Good luck with your future studies. :D

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • michaelkahlmichaelkahl Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass!!! From what I hear this is a tough exam, and will be my focus after I take my CCNA in January. Good luck on future certs.
    Working on....
    Comptia Security+
  • nsan2009nsan2009 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am currently doing a computer networks and security degree. Although i want to do my compTIA security+ SY0 201 exam soon. I have got the Sybex book, CBT Nuggets and practice exams from PrepLogic.

Any suggestions would be welcomed into taking this exam.
  • ULWizULWiz Member Posts: 722
    Personally i cant see the point of doing server+ at all and see it as a complete waste IMO over the MS track. Your would be much better off doing your MCSA/MCSE since there is much more demand. Try and search monster or dice for how many people want server+ over a MCSA or MCSE and that should give you a clue on the demand for your area.

Just my opinion
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    CompTIA Network+ March 7, 2008
    MCTS Vista 620 June 14, 2008
    MCP Server 290 Nov 15, 2008
    MCP Server 291 In Progress (Exam 12/28/09)
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    MCP Server 291 In Progress
    C|EH In Progress
  • kadshahkadshah Member Posts: 388 ■■■□□□□□□□