Options

CBT Nuggets question....

SqubaSquba Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
So I've heard alot of people talk about these instructional videos here and I would just like an opinion on peoples thoughts.

Have they helped you out quite a bit? I'm studying for my MCSA/MCSE and well would it behoove me to get these if possible? To me just using the MS press books doesnt seem like it would tell me all that i would need to know. Would my little studylab of 3 computers benefit from using the nuggets?

They are kinda pricey but hey you cant put a price on achieving your goal right!

What do you guys think? Did they impress you with the information they provided?
Gamertag- Squba

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    While the MS Press books may not cover every single item that the Nuggets do, they are going to be much more in-depth overall. CBT Nuggets make for a great introduction and/or review. Personally, I find it nice to get a break from reading every once in awhile.

Remember, you can get a month of their streaming subscription for $200, so maybe just get that and see what you think of them. People have different styles of learning, and they may or may not work for you.
  • Options
    kctxaukctxau Member Posts: 130
    CBT Nuggets is said to be very good, they are however, pricey. As an alternative, try the VTC video training. Many of their videos are quite good, and much more affordable. $30 will purchase 30 days access to all of their videos. $90 for 3 months. You can evaluate many segments of their subjects for free. The segments are about 5 minutes each(using Flash or Quicktime players). If you download the VTC player, you can view each course without interruption, each course is about 7 hrs long. Try a free example from the 70-290 course(part of the MCSA/MCSE requirement) say, Creating User Accounts. Note there are many free videos within the 290 course. The free videos are in blue, the grey icons are viewable with purchase.
    http://www.vtc.com/products/Microsoft-Windows-Server-2003-70-290-tutorials.htm
  • Options
    bwcartybwcarty Member Posts: 422 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I jumped into my MCSA/MCSE studies by going straight to 70-291 and using MS Press, Transcender practice tests, and a home lab as my study materials. I ended up failing with a 678, and one of the sims I had didn't seem to be covered in the book or practice test. I checked it out afterwards, and found less than one page dedicated to it in the book.

I decided to add another tool to my training and saw a number of people mention CBT Nuggets here, so I gave them a shot. I ended up with a 914 on my next attempt on the exam, so I'd say they definitely helped me out.

I've continued using them for other exams, and they've all helped. I generally watch the videos to get acquainted with all the topics, read an MS Press or Syngress book for more details, and follow up with Transcender tests to find my weaknesses. Those I work out in my lab while I review the videos and book.
    Help eradicate blood cancers with a donation to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.
  • Options
    SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    I find the CBT Nuggets very useful.

Some more so than others.

The 291 was a little boring to follow but the C|EH ones are good.

I think it down to the Traineer doing them and James Conrad seems to keep your attention better.

You mind starts to wander then your drawn back wondering why the hell hes talking about hills or the like! icon_lol.gif
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    I thought they were a very good learning tool. I did not think they are as good as a test preparation tool.

If you're going to perform these things as a job, they are invaluable.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    brad- wrote:
    I thought they were a very good learning tool. I did not think they are as good as a test preparation tool.

I agree with this 100%. The CBT Nuggets alone will not be enough to pass the exam but they will give you a great foundation and some working knowledge of the subject.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    brad- wrote:

I agree with this 100%. The CBT Nuggets alone will not be enough to pass the exam but they will give you a great foundation and some working knowledge of the subject.

+1 for thta
  • Options
    DanielHughesDanielHughes Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think the CBT Nuggets and the TestOut series are both great tools. I like to watch them and then read through the MS Press books as I find just reading them doesn't make sense at first. If I see the demo/vids and then read about it, I find that I learn a lot quicker/easier.
  • Options
    coffeekingcoffeeking Member Posts: 305 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Same as the others have said. Neither is your MS book, nor the CBTs alone are going to cover everything, a combination of both would be a good idea. I am a big fan of CBTs, as a matter of fact was just watching them, taking a brake now, time to get back to watch some more videos.