Subnetting....

TechBoy22TechBoy22 Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey, can someone please explain to me subnetting? I get confused with it and need a little help understanding it. Thanks.
Michael

Dreams are made up of small ideas with BIG pictures. Focus is the key that unlocks the door to success.

Comments

• NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    Woah, that's a tall order.

Subnetting is not an easy concept to learn. I'd highly suggest you go through the lessons at learntosubnet. I can't explain it any better than this website. It will take you a while to go through all the lessons, so just take your time. If you have specific questions post them and we can walk through them.
    http://www.learntosubnet.com/

When your going through your subnetting exercises in books, online or where ever, use this calculator to verify what you've done is correct.
    http://www.techexams.net/ip-subnet-calculator/

FYI, you won't need to know that much subnetting to pass Network+. You certainly will need to know this when you get into Cisco and some MS exams though.
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
  • ULWizULWiz Member Posts: 722
    yeah subnetting is most like something thats going to take a few hours to get down. This more more CCENT CCNA related. Subnetting is not covered on the Network+ exam so i would not even worry about it. Look at your objectives for whats covered on the exam and study those. The technotes from this site are amazing for the Network+. Reading those 118 or so pages will let you know exactly what you need to know for this exam.

Best of luck let us know if you pass or not
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    CompTIA Network+ March 7, 2008
    MCTS Vista 620 June 14, 2008
    MCP Server 290 Nov 15, 2008
    MCP Server 291 In Progress (Exam 12/28/09)
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    MCP Server 291 In Progress
    C|EH In Progress
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
  • skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    actually, subnetting IS covered on the Network+ exam. I had at least 2-3 questions that involved subnetting on my exam last week. One was indirect, but you still had to figure out subnets and how being on the same or different subnet can affect what you can/can't do.

It's one of those things that seems really hard until the light bulb just goes on one day and you realize that it's just a matter of addition & subtraction & multiplication. These are things you already know, but you have to look at them from a new perspective and use them in a new way & get the whole binary conversion thing down. Check out the Learntosubnet & the subnettingquestions websites, they're great resources. If you have specific problems/examples that are stumping you, then post back for some help with them.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • TechBoy22TechBoy22 Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks guys. I will def check this out. Also on tuesday well be covering this in class so i should be ok.
    Michael

Dreams are made up of small ideas with BIG pictures. Focus is the key that unlocks the door to success.
  • PH_RoosterPH_Rooster Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just took the Network + today and there were questions on subnetting and CIDR. There weren't many but you need to know default subnet masks and how to subnet a network. Your'e not going to know everything but you should have a solid understanding of all the concepts. Don't freak out. Study hard, know the material and you will be fine.
  • captobviouscaptobvious Member Posts: 648
  • ULWizULWiz Member Posts: 722
    Maybe i should have been a little more specific when i posted my comment. The Network+ exam does not require you to break down anything into binary to get hosts etc. All you need to know is what class has what subnet mask from the A,B and C classes. I got to see this exam twice due to a malfunctioning system and never saw anything related to subnetting on mine. Of course this does not mean its not on there. Did speak to 5 of my fellow co workers that just took this exam and they stated the same.

Of course it cant hurt to learn this as its most likely something you will need eventually.
    I would personally just not dig deeper than what subnet belongs to what class.

Best of luck
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    CompTIA Network+ March 7, 2008
    MCTS Vista 620 June 14, 2008
    MCP Server 290 Nov 15, 2008
    MCP Server 291 In Progress (Exam 12/28/09)
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    MCP Server 291 In Progress
    C|EH In Progress
  • brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    IDK if it helps, but on the CBT Nuggets for 291, the guy does about the best job of explaining subnetting that is possible.

Even so, I had to spend a good while practicing over and over...and of course I havent done it since, so it is perishable knowledge if you dont stay on it.