purpose of redistributing connected?

6stitches6stitches Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
Why would you redistribute something connected, why not use the network command?

Comments

• dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I guess you're right, I will petition Cisco to remove that command

I can't really think of any cases where I needed to use it, other than possibly a interface with a DHCP assigned address I wanted to advertise and didn't know what it's network address will be. It can also be beneficial from a security perspective because you're not sending or receiving anything on the interface when you redistribute connected vs use the network command. You can achieve the same result if you use the passive interface command and the distribute list command for RIP or the passive interface command for OSPF EIGRP and so on.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I guess it COULD come in handy in OSPF if you have a connected network that you want to appear as EXTERNAL, EIGRP too I imagine. This may be handy if you are utilizing the different area types OSPF offers. Yes, I'm too lazy to dream up a real world example, but I'm sure one exists....
  • 6stitches6stitches Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yep, I have a hard time with this, I can understand redistributing a static route, that to me makes sense.