taking the plunge

CCIEWANNABECCIEWANNABE Banned Posts: 465
well, it looks like i will be attempting the CCIE R&S. issues at work have made it possible for me to start studying. i will be able to put in about 30-40 hours a week in study time. i just ordered the CCIE R&S Exam Guide, 3rd edition and will begin studying in January. I will be building a lab that consists of two workstations with 5 routers running on each, each with a NIC assigned to it. I will also be purchasing several 3550's to tie into my virtual lab. I plan on purchasing some workbooks and Videos, but have not decided which vendor to go with yet. To all those pursuing the CCIE in 2009, good luck :)

Comments

• gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Best of luck.

There are more books that are highly recommended.

I've been dipping in and out of the Doyle TCP IP Routing books (Both volumes) - they are superb.
  • CCIEWANNABECCIEWANNABE Banned Posts: 465
    nice, i will definately be picking up those books as well. I will begin my studies using the ccie exam cert guide along with narbik's gap from ccnp to ccie workbook. after that i will be using a combination of workbooks to include ipexpert, internetwork expert and narbik's advanced ccie r&s labs. 2009 is going to be a good year...
  • GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    Welcome to the club :D Take one last look at your friends and family, and let them know you will be missing for a little while.

Im jk. Its not the bad really. Well...

Anyway, don't worry too much about hitting all the vendors. I know it sounds like a good idea to 'maximize your exposure' but it almost becomes counter-productive. They all cover the blueprint and its about learning the technologies more than hammering out lab after lab.

Good luck and keep us updated.
    yeah, i'll probably be MIA all through 2009. i guess its good that i don't have many friends (i have friends at work, but don't really hang out with them). i really don't have the time for those relationships. family is all that matters in the end. thanks for the advice on the vendors :)
  • AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Best of luck with your studies, remember Safari Bookshelf is your (and your wallet's) friend :)
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Good Luck! icon_cool.gif

Remember to keep your eye on the target. Finish up that CCNA:Security, knock out the Design Certs, and work that CCIP. But whatever you do -- don't get distracted by those shiny CCVP or CCSP Certifications.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • JavonRJavonR Member Posts: 245
    mikej412 wrote:
    Good Luck! icon_cool.gif

Remember to keep your eye on the target. Finish up that CCNA:Security, knock out the Design Certs, and work that CCIP. But whatever you do -- don't get distracted by those shiny CCVP or CCSP Certifications.

mikej412

Certifications: CCNP CCIP CCSP CCVP CCDP CCDA CCNA CS-CIPSS CS-CIPTDS CS-CIPTOS CS-CIPCSS CS-CFWS CS-CVPNS CS-CISecS ISSP 4013 4011

icon_lol.gif
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    JavonR wrote:
    CCSP CCVP
    Exactly! I have those -- but no CCIE yet! Distractions!

icon_lol.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
    haha, yeah, i really like security now after going through ccna:security. the only thing stopping me from going to ccna:voice is the lab materials. I would love to do ccvp and ccsp, but for now i will attempt the ccie r&s. i want to build a pretty nice lab for voice and security, but i need to start with my foundation lab setup for ccie r&s.
  • ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    mikej412 wrote:
    JavonR wrote:
    CCSP CCVP
    Exactly! I have those -- but no CCIE yet! Distractions!

icon_lol.gif

Are you sure it is just the certs that are distracting you, Mike? :)icon_wink.gif
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.