CCNA Intro vs. Network+

mistervincemistervince Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
I just finished my 2 first years of the course to get your CCNA.... so i could probally pass my intro exam.

my friend in the same course, a little more radical than i, also passed his network+ with little effort.

OVERALL QUESTION: Is it worth for me to take the Network+ when I going to take the CCNA in the spring?
Why is SuSE better than Redhat?

Its alllll in the startup scripts. All in the startup scripts. >.<

(\__/)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(='.'=)your signature to help him gain world
(")_(")domination.

Comments

• wildfirewildfire Member Posts: 654
    If you can pass it with little or no more work why not? Ive nearly finished my CCNP and Im going to sit my Net+ exam in three weeks simply becuase its another cert that I dont need to do a lot of extra study for.

If its a choice between the two Id take your CCNA
    Looking for CCIE lab study partnerts, in the UK or Online.
  • DrakonblaydeDrakonblayde Member Posts: 542
    Honestly, if you're going for the CCNA, I wouldn't bother with Net+, as it pretty much supersedes it. INTRO is Net+ with subnetting, so if you can pass INTRO, Net+ should be a cakewalk. Unless you've got money and time to burn, I'd say skip the Net+ because the only real value I've seen to it is that it's expensive resume fluff
    = Marcus Drakonblayde
    ================
    CCNP-O-Meter:
    =[0%]==[25%]==[50%]==[75%]==[100%]
    ==[X]===[X]====[ ]=====[ ]====[ ]==
    =CCNA==BSCI==BCMSN==BCRAN==CIT=
  • xwesleyxwillisxxwesleyxwillisx Member Posts: 158
    hey vince... its $150 to take n+ and $100 to take intro without the discount voucher...

so... unless your parents will pay for it... just take the intro... but don't bother taking the intro if you plan on taking the single 640-801 CCNA test... so just decide if you wanna take 1 or 2 tests to get your CCNA...

later
    I notice both you guys have N+ and are saying its not worth it? I am planning on taking Net+ soon and already have CCNA and need BCRAN and CIT for CCNP, would you say its just a complete waste of money? My wok pay for £130 worth of exams per fiscal year
  • AlienAlien Member Posts: 398
    I notice both you guys have N+ and are saying its not worth it? I am planning on taking Net+ soon and already have CCNA and need BCRAN and CIT for CCNP, would you say its just a complete waste of money? My wok pay for £130 worth of exams per fiscal year

Network+ plus covers networking basics and networking skills on different platforms e.g Novell, Linux, Appletalk and Mac. I would say the best thing i achieved from this cert was during its preparation in which i had to try and lay my hands on variouse platforms to cover for lack of a decent study guide. I was using a three year old study guide but my school had everything i needed in the lab including various OS's. The most difficult part for me in this business has been and continue to be funding for exam registration fee. If someones paying and your interested, why not. Go for it. icon_wink.gif
    Hard times on planet earth.
  • linuxguylinuxguy Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I may be the lone one here but I would say both have a good, but seperate, value. CCNA is a vendor specific cert. Yes I know that it covers detailed networking info but it is still seen as a vendor cert, where as CompTIA has respect for being vendor neutral. If you can pass the CCNA (I took the one exam path so I can not say about the 'intro' class) you should be able to pass the Net+. That is actually the way I did mine, but I had a bit of experience so you may want to read through a Net+ book real quick. All and all, they are both good to have and yes in conjunction with one another.
    If you do not feel like a newbie you probably should. :)
  • mistervincemistervince Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    yea linuxguy, your right about the part of the N+ being "vendor neutral". Yea i think i'm going to take it just so i can have more networking certification than JUST Cisco. Althought Cisco is mostly considered standard... you still got a few smaller but well established companies such as NetGear or even Linksys.

(")_(")domination.
    I never meant to say that my N+ wasn't of use... i just felt that it was hard to justify if my friend already had A+ and was gonna get the Cisco intro...

Many of the A+ networking objectives are covered in N+ again and the intro gives an even greater breadth of basic networking knowledge, in addition to subnetting and cisco hardware which comptia does not (vendor neutral)... i took N+ it cuz my parents fit the bill and it was kind of a why not sort of situation... it was very easy to pass after my cisco course

Good luck vince
    For those that dont know... wesley is my lab partner in my Cisco class... we love these forums and like yall's advice and are avid people in the IT field... we like these forums and appreciate yall's help... wes has more study ethic... i have more natural ability.

(")_(")domination.
    For those that dont know... wesley is my lab partner in my Cisco class... we love these forums and like yall's advice and are avid people in the IT field... we like these forums and appreciate yall's help... wes has more study ethic... i have more natural ability.

vince you're so cheesey
  • garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    . i have more natural ability.

Natural ability? Doubt that. I've heard of natural ability on the basketball court, but in IT? Ha, you gotta be a straight Dork.
  • viper75viper75 Member Posts: 726 ■■■■□□□□□□
    garv221 wrote:
    . i have more natural ability.

Natural ability? Doubt that. I've heard of natural ability on the basketball court, but in IT? Ha, you gotta be a straight Dork.

LMAO!!!!
    CCNP Security - DONE!
    CCNP R&S - In Progress...
    CCIE Security - Future...
    ok seriously... i was born with mouse in hand... ive been around computers since i was born... so i consider that "natural ability". when you grow up around a household full of IT topics and such... then well its going to naturally rub off on you... its like the child of a mechanic knows a lot about cars just b/c of the house they were born in. icon_wink.gif

(")_(")domination.
    ok seriously... i was born with mouse in hand... ive been around computers since i was born... so i consider that "natural ability". when you grow up around a household full of IT topics and such... then well its going to naturally rub off on you... its like the child of a mechanic knows a lot about cars just b/c of the house they were born in. icon_wink.gif

Ah, I see. You have that trigger finger mouse click , can surf **** with an undeniable instinct & have cat like reflexes when it comes to popping a CD in a drive. Cannot deny talent. icon_lol.gif
    garv221 wrote:

Ah, I see. You have that trigger finger mouse click , can surf **** with an undeniable instinct & have cat like reflexes when it comes to popping a CD in a drive. Cannot deny talent. icon_lol.gif

ROFLMAO!!!
    CCNP Security - DONE!
    icon_eek.gif
    CCNP Security - DONE!
  • forbeslforbesl Member Posts: 454
    viper75 wrote:
    That's what you call talent, not "NATURAL ABILITY".

According to the dictionary, they're the same thing:

tal·ent ( P ) Pronunciation Key (tlnt)
    n.
    1. A marked innate ability, as for artistic accomplishment. See synonyms of ability.
    a. Natural endowment or ability of a superior quality.
    b. A person or group of people having such ability: The company makes good use of its talent.
    I do think some people have more of a natural ability towards computing than others like anything in this world! Take sport some people can play a sport and pick it up quickly while other persevere for years and are just plane crap as it!

And not saying sport an IT are the same thing just that you can draw similar comparisons!
  • Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    I have a talent for getting drunk after passing an exam.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    i think the talent of IT is more a predipostion for problem solving or creatively designing ways of redoing what someone else defined in a better way. i think most of us here have the curiousity but we all have that lazy side that has to balance it out icon_lol.gif
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • DrakonblaydeDrakonblayde Member Posts: 542
    Getting back to the topic at hand ;)

Yeah, I do regard my Net+ as just resume filler. It has not done a single thing for me. If you have absolutely no networking background, I concede that prepping for the Net+ is good to teach you the fundamentals, but I don't think it's worth the cash to actually take the exam if you're going for a Cisco certification.

Honestly, My A+ and my MCSA have done loads more for me than my Net+. Hopefully my CCNA will kick it up another notch and I'll be able to get a job in networking (right now employed doing tech support for a law firm, decent money but not what I want to be doing the rest of my life)
    = Marcus Drakonblayde
    ================
    CCNP-O-Meter:
    =[0%]==[25%]==[50%]==[75%]==[100%]
    ==[X]===[X]====[ ]=====[ ]====[ ]==
    =CCNA==BSCI==BCMSN==BCRAN==CIT=
  • skully93skully93 Member Posts: 323 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ricka182 wrote:
    I have a talent for getting drunk after passing an exam.

Not during? So long as you don't have notes on the inside of the bottle, it should be legal :).
    I do not have a psychiatrist and I do not want one, for the simple reason that if he listened to me long enough, he might become disturbed.

-- James Thurber
    forbesl wrote:
    viper75 wrote:
    That's what you call talent, not "NATURAL ABILITY".

According to the dictionary, they're the same thing:

tal·ent ( P ) Pronunciation Key (tlnt)
    n.
    1. A marked innate ability, as for artistic accomplishment. See synonyms of ability.
    a. Natural endowment or ability of a superior quality.
    b. A person or group of people having such ability: The company makes good use of its talent.
    sleeping.gif Really......
  • walid97walid97 Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    get Network+, you pay 200$ for a lifetime cert.
    you just need 1 week to get a 900 on N+ !!

Cheers
  • rossonieri#1rossonieri#1 Member Posts: 799 ■■■□□□□□□□
    be positive : take all you can take. they are all knowledge and useful. :D
    the More I know, that is more and More I dont know.
  • simpleman2simpleman2 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I took my Net+ last week and passed pretty easily with 740. I am now studying for CCNA. What kind of time frame do you think I should study for before taking? I presently work doing desktop support with almost no network experience but would like to move to that direction as the desktop support is barely paying the bills and CCNA looks to be a better career step. I am reading the Sybex book and looking over the study guides posted here. I am trying to get my hands on the router sim to practice with. Any additional suggestions?

Thanks much.