Options

how many times should I call?

brianglbriangl Member Posts: 184 ■■■□□□□□□□
An IT manager at a hospital sent me an email on Wednesday saying for me to call to set up an interview. They said that they were hard to get a hold of and to leave a message. I called the next morning and left a voice mail. That evening I sent an email saying that I had left a voice mail and reiterated my interest. That was Thursday, it is now Monday.

Should I keep calling and leaving voicemails? I have always believed it was best to be persistent. Should I call and leave a message everyday? Should I send more emails?

Comments

• Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Always a tough decision.

If you were a interviewer and an applicant kept calling every 3 days it wouldn't be so bad. I always say that if you call at a pretty normal pace then you are doing more good then harm. And if they think you are bugging them too much, then they are overly sensitive and you don't want to work for them anyways.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    id certainly look at calling them again today or tomorrow youve been asked to call them and have done so after 2 calls I'd expect them to acknowledge that and call me back

tbh tho I think its a poor show if there asking you to call them and they know they're hard to get hold of
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • Options
    Thanks. I will call again today and send another email tonight. After that maybe I will call every 2 or 3 days. I have had advice in the past to call someone until they say to stop calling. I want to show definite interest. I don’t know, but I would think that it shows tenacity and perseverance that would be applied on the job.

My wife urges me to call everyday and says that you really don’t know if someone is even getting your messages unless you actually talk to them. I guess that’s true.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Hi,

There's a fine line between being persistent and coming across completely desperate. If you're calling them every day, and you aren't even getting so much as a courtesy response back that your message was received and they'll get back with you when they have time, then it is highly likely that you are wasting your time.

b
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    blargoe wrote:
    Hi,

There's a fine line between being persistent and coming across completely desperate. If you're calling them every day, and you aren't even getting so much as a courtesy response back that your message was received and they'll get back with you when they have time, then it is highly likely that you are wasting your time.

b

Thanks, I won't call everyday. Just enough so they will know that I am interested and won't forget me. Maybe after today I will just assume that the ball is in their court. I have certainly read accounts of people being hired because they were the persistent one though. I guess everybody and every situation is different.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    In my experience if the company wants you then they will be the one calling you.

If they are not returning your calls I'd start looking for something else while you wait.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    ThePistonDoctorThePistonDoctor Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ^x2. And then when they start begging you to work for them tell them because they wasted your time you want 250K+ :D

...kidding, obviously. But seriously looking elsewhere and getting some other offers to attack with will give you some leverage if they really want you.