T1-speed

cdad2000cdad2000 Member Posts: 323
Hello everyone,

Recently I got into an argument with a senior level engineer @ my job. He proclaims that T1 speed is 1.5MBytes per sec. And I say it's 1.5Mbites per sec. I know it might seem like a minor issue, but I will feel like an totally a$$ if I were wrong. So, techexams is the finally verdict.

Thanks for your help..

Comments

• maumercadomaumercado Member Posts: 163
    1.544 Mbps wich means Megabits per second if it were Megabytes it would be MB :)
  • mklaromklaro Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Wait a minute... a senior level engineer doesn't know the difference between bits and bytes and what a T1 is? icon_rolleyes.gif

A T1 is 1.54Mbps/sec

You called it right.
  • EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    A T1 consists of 24 timeslots. Each time timeslot is 64k, which represents 1 byte of information sampled at a rate of 8000 per second.

So 8 bits x 8000 = 64k

64k x 24 = 1536k

An additional bit is used for framing so 1 x 8000 = 8k

1536 + 8 = 1544kbits , i dont think he can argue with this.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Grr....this topic drives me insane. I'm totally sick of having this discussion with people so I feel your pain. Tell your "senior" level engineer to educate himself. I'm actually going to add this array of questioning to my interview pool. If you miss this one you are dismissed. This really is NOT that complicated....
  • cdad2000cdad2000 Member Posts: 323
    Thanks, everybody.Well he's projected salary compensates for a senior level engineer position but nonetheless, he does know his R&S & VPN stuff well. The funny things is he uses a website to do his calculation like a bitcalculator. He doesn't even know what he's converting : )

>>>Air humping old man munch
  • dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Don't bother correcting him, just smile and wave icon_wink.gif
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    What is also funny is that you hear T1 a lot in the UK, and technically they are not supposed to be called T1.. it's E1/E2 etc.