Options

CCNA Classes/Academy Question

teter09teter09 Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am rather confused about the academy and other programs which people invest years in to learn/study for the CCNA. I am an MIS major at the University of Central Florida, 1 basic networking course is required which was taught from the Sybex Network+ book. I took the Net+ test and passed with ease (missed only 2 questions and got my A+ before that). Next my sights were set on getting my CCNA.

I am currently taking the advanced networking course which is taught from the Cisco CCNA pair of books (Intro and ICND) from a CCNP professor. We have 24/7 access to a lab with 4 2500 series routers, 1 1900 switch, a fasthub and a 2620 router. The semester ends Dec 4th, at which time my professor claims if you pass his class you will pass the CCNA.

My question revolves around what is it that these longer programs are teaching which I am missing out on (potentially), or is this simply a case of different people learn differently, and thus need the extra length to learn the material? Is this test so hard that I should invest in additional classes, or what is the deal with these types of courses?

I am not picking on those who are in these types of courses, I simply don't understand and want to be prepared. I have a co-worker who took the 6 classes and got outrightly irate (Almost completely pissed off) when he learned I was taking a CCNA class which was teaching me all the material in 3 months. He said it was impossible to learn it all in that amount of time.

What do you all think, what classes did you take? All feedback is appreciated!!!

Comments

• Options
    viper75viper75 Member Posts: 726 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Everyone learns at a different pace. You might have the ability to learn faster then the guy next to you. No one can really answer if you should invest in more classes. You're the only one that knows if you have enough training\knowledge to take the exam.

I work with Cisco equitment at my job and I also took the Cisco Academy and ended up learning somethings a lot faster then if I would of done it in my own with no classes. I'm just about ready for the exam myself. I scheduled the INTRO today for 3 week from tomorrow.

Some people say that you can go and take the 801 exam right after the Acad. but from what I have heard and read there is a high failure rate because of the difficulty of the 801. My suggestion is to study until you feel you're ready. I finished the Acad. almost a year ago and have been studying on my own since.

Like I said before everyone learns at a different pace...some people can pick this up like nothing, some will take a lot longer to even learn the basic concept.

Have you taken any practice exams??? How are you scoring??? That should build a base for you and will let you know if you need to study more.

The N+ exam is a walk in the park, very easy test...the A+ is not as easy as the N+. If you have N+ then you have a basic foundation of networking which will help you achive your CCNA Cert.

My to LBS. icon_cool.gif
    CCNP Security - DONE!
    CCNP R&S - In Progress...
    CCIE Security - Future...
  • Options
    DrakonblaydeDrakonblayde Member Posts: 542
    The Academy CCNA curriculum is alot more in depth than it needs to be because it's laying the groundwork for CCNP as well. It's quite possible to accelerate your learning and pass the CCNA (I'm not done with the curriculum and I passed a few days ago), but I know my studies for CCNP will be easier because of what the CCNA academy put me through
    = Marcus Drakonblayde
    ================
    CCNP-O-Meter:
    =[0%]==[25%]==[50%]==[75%]==[100%]
    ==[X]===[X]====[ ]=====[ ]====[ ]==
    =CCNA==BSCI==BCMSN==BCRAN==CIT=
  • Options
    teter09teter09 Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I haven't finished the class so I'm not taking actual practice tests yet, but will. So far with the subjects I've covered: Subnetting, Basic IOS commands, RIP, IGRP, EIGRP, 1/2 done with OSPF, I have done very well on my professors tests. Our class average is a 55 (100 questions), I've been getting 90's for Subnetting and OSI model, 85 + 88 for the two with IOS and the protocols.

I enjoy learning this stuff (Nerd I know), for me it just clicks about like a lightbulb. I'm buying my own equipment (so far 4 2500 routers, 1 2600, 1 catalyst1900, 1 fasthub and looking for a 2900 switch) and with the hands on it makes it all stick.

I work for a very large company (Siemens) in the IT department and am frequently picking the brains of the major Network Engineers for help or advise and they are always glad to give it to me (Except for those moments when the network drops!!!).

Thanks for the feedback, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking this test. I will go for my CCNP following getting my CCNA.

I was also curious as to the background of those who go intot he academy. I have a decent amount of experience with networks and computers in general, I just didn't know if the Academy was more geared towards those with little experience.

Thanks Viper75 and Drakonblayde for the quick replies.
  • Options
    teter09 wrote:
    I was also curious as to the background of those who go intot he academy. I have a decent amount of experience with networks and computers in general, I just didn't know if the Academy was more geared towards those with little experience.

Well...I finished The Acad. about a little under a year ago. I have been working with Cisco Switches for about 5 years and Cisco Routers for about 2 years. I have been in the IT field for 10 years now. I started when I was 19 :D I'm now 29. icon_cry.gif .

When I was in the Cisco Acad. my peers there were doing career change. I was the only one in my class that was already in the field and was very familiar with Cisco equitment. After The Cisco Acad. one of my classmates was able to land a job in IT doing networking, learning as he goes...I guess that's what you would call a success story.
    icon_cool.gif
    CCNP Security - DONE!
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    I went to school for IT. What I have learned from working in IT & going to school for IT is you have to know how to learn & how to use the IT thought process. IT is like a school subject, for instance math. The very first thing you learn in math is add/subtract. You have to know how to add/subtract before you can multiply. It is the same way for IT before you can network a PC you have to have an Idea how Windows works. You have to have some building blocks already acquired before mastering Cisco gear. You have to see it all in your head working together, then its filling in the gaps of on going questions that bring you to more questions & so forth- the learning process.
  • Options
    garv221 wrote:
    I went to school for IT. What I have learned from working in IT & going to school for IT is you have to know how to learn & how to use the IT thought process. IT is like a school subject, for instance math. The very first thing you learn in math is add/subtract. You have to know how to add/subtract before you can multiply. It is the same way for IT before you can network a PC you have to have an Idea how Windows works. You have to have some building blocks already acquired before mastering Cisco gear. You have to see it all in your head working together, then its filling in the gaps of on going questions that bring you to more questions & so forth- the learning process.

I agree with you 100% grav221. And might I add very nicely put. icon_thumright.gif

BTW...
    Math and I DO NOT get along. crash.gifcrash.gifcrash.gif
    CCNP Security - DONE!
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    viper75 wrote:
    I agree with you 100% grav221. And might I add very nicely put. icon_thumright.gif

BTW...
    Math and I DO NOT get along. crash.gifcrash.gifcrash.gif

Thanks!.

Math & I also do not see eye 2 eye. Just when I thought I rid my life of math...... I ran into subentting.. icon_eek.gif
  • Options
    DrakonblaydeDrakonblayde Member Posts: 542
    My background is that I'm a nerd who likes to play with computers. Most of my work background is of the call center and bench tech variety, and I'd never touched a Cisco router before I set foot in the Academy classroom. But I've always had an affinity for networking, the concepts just seem to click in my head for some reason. It goes back to the days of BBS's and FidoNet (quite a few of the concepts for IP routing and FTN are quite similar). I like making machines talk to each other. Since I knew I wanted a career in networking, I knew I had to go Cisco, and so that's what I started pursuing.
    = Marcus Drakonblayde
    ================
    CCNP-O-Meter:
    =[0%]==[25%]==[50%]==[75%]==[100%]
    ==[X]===[X]====[ ]=====[ ]====[ ]==
    =CCNA==BSCI==BCMSN==BCRAN==CIT=