books

cleer67cleer67 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
not long completed A+, now hoping 2 achieve NET +.
Could do with some help in picking the right book as i had
some difficulty in sticking to one book during my A+ studies

Comments

• janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    My own favorite, and it also comes highly recommended by others on this forum, is All-In-One Network+ Exam Guide, by Michael Meyers. It was the only one that I used. But, you should probably use a second book of some kind because no book is really complete in itself.
    Browse through this Network+ forum and you'll find other recommendations.

Be sure and check out the study guides on this Techexams forum and then try out the practice exams.

Also check out the Network+ exam objectives at comptia.com so that you can be sure that you have everything covered.

Best of luck.
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    You don't even need a book, technotes from here are the best.
  • Sulblk27Sulblk27 Member Posts: 148
    I do the same thing cleer67, studing from more than one book, right now I'm trying four...Exam Cram2, Upgrading and Repairing Networks 4th edition- Scott Mueller's, Troubleshooting Microsoft Technologies- Cris Wolf and Networking a Begginner's guide 2nd Edition-Bruce Hallberg. Not all of the chapters will apply from upgrade or troubleshooting...(I keep the objectives close to study by), but they will be helpful later on. I will download the study guide (6.95) from this site, and call it a day.
    Next month I'll get in to the all in one book, for security...
    Someone asked me when will my studying be over......
  • TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I used Exam Cram 2 and the Technotes SE from this site and that was enough to adequately prepare me for the exam.
  • lazyartlazyart Member Posts: 483
    Sybex and Technotes SE were my ticket (have you noticed the common demoninator yet?)
    I'm not a complete idiot... some parts are missing.
  • mgmguy1mgmguy1 Member Posts: 485 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Here are the sources I am useing for Network+ test.

1. Exam Cram 2 By Mike Harwood copyright 2003
    2.Networking Essentials By Microsoft Press copyright 1996
    3.Cramsession Study Guide
    3.TechNotes from this web site.

Like everyone is saying the more time you put into studying the better off you will be. I try to study for an hour in the morning and then when I get off of work I study for 2 hours at night. I want to pass my Network Plus with a high score.
    "A lot of fellows nowadays have a B.A., M.D., or Ph.D. Unfortunately, they don't have a J.O.B."

Fats Domino
  • xwesleyxwillisxxwesleyxwillisx Member Posts: 158
    The only book I used was the Exam Cram 2 book. I also used the practice tests and technotes from this site. This site is the best for all your certification needs. Over the course of a month I prepared for the exam. Since you have your A+ I would think you'd be good just using a single book. I would highly recommend the Exam Cram book. It was a breeze to use and it came with chapter quizzes to assess your knowledge. It won't give you everything but that's what this site is for!

Best of luck and be sure to know OSI icon_cool.gif
  • mistervincemistervince Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    yea... im about to take network+ in the coming moneths or so... going to use www.selftestsoftware.com as usual... good luck
    Why is SuSE better than Redhat?

Its alllll in the startup scripts. All in the startup scripts. >.<

(\__/)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
    (='.'=)your signature to help him gain world
    (")_(")domination.
  • skully93skully93 Member Posts: 323 ■■■□□□□□□□
    janmike wrote:
    My own favorite, and it also comes highly recommended by others on this forum, is All-In-One Network+ Exam Guide, by Michael Meyers. It was the only one that I used. But, you should probably use a second book of some kind because no book is really complete in itself.
    Browse through this Network+ forum and you'll find other recommendations.

I agree. Meyers' guide, the technotes, and some fair practice should be all you need.
    I do not have a psychiatrist and I do not want one, for the simple reason that if he listened to me long enough, he might become disturbed.

-- James Thurber
  • crabeatercrabeater Member Posts: 88 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Meyers books are good, but ALWAYS use more than one source. He makes too many mistakes for my taste. (As an 'authority', I would not expect to see him blow basic info.)

Latest example: He says BRIDGES use the MAC address for a filter, and SWITCHES "understand and analyze data packets and NETWORK addresses" (Exam Tip, page 100). To me, that implies an IP or IPX number; he does not mention MAC address in his talk about switches, though he does for bridges. He says a switch is in Layer 2, data Link, so adding to the confusion, as that looks at MAC.

However, both "Windows 2000 Network & OS Basics" and "TechNotes" say clearly that MAC is the filter used in both devices.

If there is any other clarification to be done, I hope Johan speaks up.

In fact - a section for 'mistakes found' (that are verified by the forum administrator before posting, or noted as 'could not prove') would be a help to everyone.