Career Advice

PCHoldmannPCHoldmann Member Posts: 450
OK guys,
Time for some speculation...
I am studying for the CCNA exam, and will be taking it soon. My question is this: Do I go straight for CCDA, or hit M$ (MCSA/MCSE)? I plan to do both, but I am not sure what to tackle first. Having the Security+ cert means I only need the 3 core exams for MCSA, which makes that a little more attractive, But CCDA is one test, one cert (I know one M$ test makes you an MCP, But that doesn’t seem like it's worth much). I have about four years experience in a smaller business, and am looking for a new job. My main considerations are:
1. Which one will help more in getting a new job?
2. Which will pay better? (Certmag says CCDA is highest, MCSE, MCSA)

Any thoughts?
There's no place like ^$
Visit me at Route, Switch, Blog

Comments

• wildfirewildfire Member Posts: 654
    1. It depends what type of job you are going for, however I would say generally MCSE would be your better option. I have both CCNA and CCDA but you will find for a cisco career to get Descent pay you need CCNP really, sometimes CCNP coupled with MCSE is $$.
    2. Again depends on career but Id say MCSE with CCNA is better than CCNA + CCDA,

As someone who has CCNA and CCDA is didnt make that much difference to me, but when I complete my CCNP Im hoping for a career boost then.
    Looking for CCIE lab study partnerts, in the UK or Online.
  • viper75viper75 Member Posts: 726 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I agree with wildfire. I have also heard from College Prof.'s and My boss (CCIE) that Cisco Certs. pay more then MS. Certs.

CCNA and MCSE are a good combo to have. It all depends on what you're interested in more. Are you into the MS Administration or the Routing??? Me, I'm more interested in the Routing...but will go after a MS Cert. after I complete my CCNA. Eventually I would like to be a CCIE. $$$ icon_lol.gif Lots of work though icon_sad.gifcrash.gif

Good Luck on what you decide to do!!! icon_thumright.gif
    CCNP Security - DONE!
    CCNP R&S - In Progress...
    CCIE Security - Future...
  • mwgoodmwgood Member Posts: 293
    Depends on your strategy and current opportunities. If you want to go straight for the $$, you might consider doing CCNP after CCNA. If you want to build a solid foundation and spread your knowledge and skills a bit, then the MS route will round you out a bit.

Personally, I'm going the MS route now since I prefer the strategy of a broad base of skills.
  • PCHoldmannPCHoldmann Member Posts: 450
    That is pretty much what I was thinking,(MS next) but I thought it would be good to get some outside advice. Thanks much.

Peter
    There's no place like ^$
    Visit me at Route, Switch, Blog