Best PC Technician Tool Set

JakeSchulteJakeSchulte Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
What do you think the Best PC Tool Set would be for a PC Technician?
It has yet to be proven that intelligence has any survival value. - Mr. C

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I think pretty much any generic kit would be satisfactory for most circumstances. An anti-static wrist strap along with a screwdriver with a few flat-head, phillips, torx variations is going to cover you for the most part. A little adjustable mirror and a needle nose pliers or tweezers are great for when you drop a screw. Maybe an RJ-45 crimper and ethernet cable tester if you're making cables. I've had to solder occasionally to repair/replace laptop jacks. I don't think I've used over half the tools in my kit.
  • vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    dynamik wrote:
    I think pretty much any generic kit would be satisfactory for most circumstances. An anti-static wrist strap along with a screwdriver with a few flat-head, phillips, torx variations is going to cover you for the most part. A little adjustable mirror and a needle nose pliers or tweezers are great for when you drop a screw. Maybe an RJ-45 crimper and ethernet cable tester if you're making cables. I've had to solder occasionally to repair/replace laptop jacks. I don't think I've used over half the tools in my kit.

This.

I actually got a nice screw driver set, a soldering iron, crimpers, and a few other goodies for my birthday.

I have a pretty sweet toolkit now icon_cool.gif
  • empc4000xlempc4000xl Member Posts: 322
    console cable with usb adapter

usb drive with a version of linux

a few cross over cables,

2 screw drivers.

I guess that for more of a network guys, but thats my tool bag
  • arwesarwes Member Posts: 633 ■■■□□□□□□□
    And don't leave without this:

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

I keep one in my car any time I have to visit any of our branch offices.
    [size=-2]Started WGU - BS IT:NDM on 1/1/13, finished 12/31/14
    Working on: Waiting on the mailman to bring me a diploma
    What's left: Graduation![/size]
  • Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm a network tech, so I don't deal with desktop issues hardly ever in my current role. That being said, I carry at a minimum:

-Fluke toner/probe
    -Crimpers
    -RJ-45's
    -5-10 10ft CAT5's, along with a box of CAT5 in the work van
    -IBM Thinkpad w/ all console cables/adapters
    -Punchdown w/ blade for 110 and 60 blocks.
    -Fiber light
    -Network diagram
    -Spare batts for everything

I should note I usually spend my day on calls, so I have to come prepared for everything. I'll sometimes have extra UPS and Foundry PSU's in the van as well, just in case.