New to the civilian sector

JoeTramonteJoeTramonte Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
I served 10 years in the Air Force and have recently gotten out I was a Computer Operator in the Air Force for my entire time. I spent 6 months at a newspaper as a unix engineer I was recently laid off. I got the job off of dated Unix certs (Solaris 7 and eight kept making a smily face if I used the number) However Im much more comfortable in the windows arena now. I just recently pick up my MCITP Windows Server 2008 Server Admin books I actually have done rather well on the pre test but beside the point.

My Unix certs got the attention of my past employer however right now I have CCNA, A+ and the MCITP Windows Server 2008 Server Admin im really going to focus on the MCITP but what about the other two Im located in the San Antonio area. Also other recommendations welcome also

Here is a general synopsis of skills of my resume briefly

Platform or Application
Expertise Level
Length of Time

Active Directory
High
5 years
Net Backup
High
7 years
Microsoft Exchange
High
8 years
Windows NT Server
High
8 years
Solaris 8
Moderate
3 years
Trusted Solaris
Moderate
2 years
Information Security
High
9 years
Windows Server 2003
Moderate to High
3 years
Desktop/User Support
High
9 years
Cisco VPN
Moderate
1 year

Any info would be greatly appreciated
You can have anything you want, if you want it badly enough. You can be anything you want to be, do anything you set out to accomplish, if you hold to that desire with singleness of purpose. - Abraham Lincoln

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Welcome to Techexams and the civilian world! Myself and quite a few other members here are former military and have made the transition so hopefully we can provide some great assistance.

I would say to start looking for jobs with government contractors if you are having trouble finding things in the civilian market. In my experience these companies are always looking for someone with a good grasp of military communications systems. I had quite a few offers when I got out, but wanted to get as far from the military life as possible. You could also try getting an admin position with local or federal government as your veterans preference should give you a slight edge over some of the competition.

As far as certifications are concerned, I'd try to keep them in line with your experience. If you have MS experience then the MCITP would probably be something good to shoot for (although I do not follow the Microsoft side of things, but I'm sure someone who does will give you advice in that area). If you have a good working knowledge of networking then the CCNA would be something to shoot for also. The CCNA is a great entry level certification and complements the MS certs well. If you do not really have a lot of networking experience I wouldn't worry about moving past the CCNA for now.

Good luck on your job search!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • JoeTramonteJoeTramonte Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you so much. Like you im looking to separate myself right now. Anyone microsoft advice anyone?
    You can have anything you want, if you want it badly enough. You can be anything you want to be, do anything you set out to accomplish, if you hold to that desire with singleness of purpose. - Abraham Lincoln
  • empc4000xlempc4000xl Member Posts: 322
    you still got your clearance? The market is tight right now. That will be your best option. Always jobs for people with clearances, but it might require you to move.
    Still have my clearance...
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It wasn't clear to me, do you have your MCITP:SA, or are you currently working towards that?

Server 2008 and related certs are still fairly new. Compare the results for MCITP and MCSE on job boards such as Monster, Dice, etc.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    alot of jobs I've seen on dice.com require Unix Admin with Windows skills, why don't you go for that ??

I suggest you really utilize your UNIX experience as you can secure a job with good salary.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

dynamik wrote:
    It wasn't clear to me, do you have your MCITP:SA, or are you currently working towards that?

Server 2008 and related certs are still fairly new. Compare the results for MCITP and MCSE on job boards such as Monster, Dice, etc.

Working towards Im about to test for the Active directory MCTS part of it.

I would prefer to stay out of the military contractor world
  • empc4000xlempc4000xl Member Posts: 322
    You still have your clearnce and you know unix, you are sitting fatter than a lot of people on here. I can pull up a butt tone of jobs that need both. yeah you dont have the most up to date, but neither does the military. I'm sure you can find some unix admin jobs out there. If I loose the one I got myself its back to VA/DC/MD for me. If you have at least a TS and DC is a option to you, shoot me your resume in a PM
    Done
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    There isn't much difference between Solaris 7,8 and Solaris 10 by the way. It's just the Zones, ZFS, and Dtrace, that's all. Not a big deal at all trust me, and you won't find many people using Dtrace. ZFS will be there more in the future, not much in production yet. Zones/Containers you will find a lot, you must learn it, and it's not difficult.

And generally speaking, you will see Solaris 9 and Solaris 8 more than Solaris 10 in production.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

So is the MCITP 2008 Server Admin a good idea?
    How well do you know Server 2003? An MCSE is probably going to help you out more than an MCITP at the moment. I'd start with that if you could get through it relatively quickly. If not, the MCITP is probably the best place to start. Also, you should aim for the EA instead of the SA. You can always tack the SA on in one more exam if you want it later on.

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcitp/windowsserver/2008/server/default.mspx

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcitp/windowsserver/2008/enterprise/default.mspx
    Why EA instead of SA I figured the SA would be quite marketable too
    If you're going to put the effort in, why not go for the most prestigious one?

That's just the way I look at it.
  • M4verickM4verick Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote:
    If you're going to put the effort in, why not go for the most prestigious one?

That's just the way I look at it.

+1. Also if you go straight for EA, you won't lose money on the test for the 70-646 trying to upgrade to EA from SA as that test isn't necessary for the EA.
    Isn't it funny how after you have the certifications, you don't care about sharing them as much?
    Dangt...

I already bought the books for 2008 server admin yesterday icon_sad.gif I picked it because it looked like more of it I had done before and I figured it would also look good in the work place.
    Do both. It's only one more exam.
    Thats what I was thinking of doing. So how does the G.I Bill work with this stuff?

Have any of you gone through boot camps? Waste of money? Just study?

Will the Gi Bill cover boot camps?
  • Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    http://www.gibill.va.gov/GI_Bill_Info/programs.htm

I know Netmasterclass is covered for something like 60-65% of the costs for a CCIE bootcamp. Don't quote me. A lot of others aren't covered, though. Of course the new GI Bill is different. As far as I know, it only covers a one-time reimbursement for a certification exam, up to $2,000.
    Thanks for your help everyone right now I'm working on the first MCTS exam for active directory. I got a help desk offer which I might take for now just to get started.

Im located in San Antonio if anyone needs anyone with my skill set around.

Joe Tramonte
  • vanquish23vanquish23 Member Posts: 224
    Joe,

I am only 2 years into the Air Force, and currently going towards a BA in Software Engineering for Netwrok Security. I would like to say in if I could get a COMM job, but my chances are slim. I am currently a mechanic, but not what I wanted to do when I enlisted. Good luck with you, as I am working towards certs and building home labs.

Vanquish23
    He who SYNs is of the devil, for the devil has SYN'ed and ACK'ed from the beginning. For this purpose, that the ACK might destroy the works of the devil.