It's Official!

the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
I am a college graduate! Got the last grade (C- in Calc) I suck at math and was very happy to get this grade! My GPA shouldn't take too big of a hit from it, should be a 3.3 I believe. I also had an interview today for a job with my sisters company. Small IT department and they are rolling out Microsoft Dynamics AX 2009 which I would help deploy, train, and I suspect program for. But they are also looking for someone who will grow and move up within the company. Currently they outsource all their IT Support so I wouldn't have to do that. They were interested in my security education as currently they aren't really secure. Initial interview was a screening with the Vice President of the company and the next one (if I get a call) will be with the head of IT. I think I might get it as the VP said two things: he could run a company with recent college grads and he felt I was a perfect fit for what they wanted. Only bad thing he said was that there were a lot of people who applied and had more experience then I do. We shall see...
WIP:
PHP
Kotlin
Intro to Discrete Math
Programming Languages
Work stuff

Comments

• rfult001rfult001 Member Posts: 407
    Congrats! Now on to grad school! icon_wink.gif Good luck with the job.
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Yup graduate school is on the list just have to figure out what I want to go for. I found various programs I am interested in and pretty sure I won't have any issues getting into them. As of now I am looking at: Masters in Competitive Intelligence, Masters in Emergency Management and Business Continuity (if I do this program it would be very easy to get a MS in Information Systems as well), or one of the various computing security programs I have looked at. I want to continue in the security realm just gotta decide which direction to go with it....decisions decisions, but first need a job!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Congrats!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats on the degree. Hopefully you will get that job sounds like a good way to get your sec. career going.
  • ThePistonDoctorThePistonDoctor Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Just FYI if you are looking to get your grad you might want to try to get a solid job first...many companies will pay for your grad school if you make a commitment to stay with them for X years. :)
    That's the plan! Company I interviewed for will pay for as many credits as you want to take and they pay upfront, gotta have a B in the course or you'll have to pay them back.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    That's a huge accomplishment. Congratulations!
  • vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Awesome accomplishment! GL with the job & your future endeavors. :)
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Congrats on the biggest "cert" of all, and good luck with both the job-hunt and your grad-work plans. :D

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • ThePistonDoctorThePistonDoctor Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    BTW what's your degree in?
    I have a BS in Computing and Security Technology concentration in Computing Security.

http://www.drexel.edu/catalog/degree/ct.htm <---List of courses you would take for the program.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    the_Grinch wrote:
    I am a college graduate!
    Congratulations! icon_santa.gif
    the_Grinch wrote:
    Masters in Emergency Management and Business Continuity (if I do this program it would be very easy to get a MS in Information Systems as well), or one of the various computing security programs I have looked at.
    Oooooooooooooooooooh! icon_rendeer.gif I vote for the first one (with the MS IS as well) -- while you're getting some real industry experience (and trying to get some Security Street Cred). Then go back for one of the computing security programs. :D
    the_Grinch wrote:
    Company I interviewed for will pay for as many credits as you want to take and they pay upfront, gotta have a B in the course or you'll have to pay them back.
    Ooooooooooooooooooooh! icon_rendeer.gif I don't know who they are, but I already like them!! They value education AND they MOTIVATE you to do well in the classes.
    the_Grinch wrote:
    http://www.drexel.edu/catalog/degree/ct.htm <---List of courses you would take for the program.
    That course list is a good example why most people here will suggest going for the education first over just certification. icon_rendeer.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    Congratulations!!!! icon_thumright.gif
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
    Thanks for all the congrats and advice guys. At this time I will be aiming at the 30m target and try to find a job. So on with the hunt for jobs and certs!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    the_Grinch wrote:
    I have a BS in Computing and Security Technology concentration in Computing Security.

Drexel? Where are you from? Congratulations!!
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
    Southern Jersey....about 30 minutes outside of the city and an hour from AC icon_twisted.gif
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Congratulations!

After you have a few years working in BGP and RM you should go for the CISSP cert.
    Yeah I am hoping to go for the CISSP after a couple of years. Definitely going to go for the SSCP as soon as I can. I have a friend who is a CISSP who could endorse me and since it only requires a year of security experience I might go for the Associate of SSCP.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
    the_Grinch wrote:
    I have a friend who is a CISSP who could endorse me and since it only requires a year of security experience I might go for the Associate of SSCP.
    If you already have a year of InfoSec experience then go for the full SSCP. Your CISSP friend can certainly endorse you. I would then afterward look at getting CISSP Associate of the (ISC)2.
    I don't have any fulltime experience so I'll have to go for the Associate.....
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
    If you will be getting a CISSP CBK-related job immediately, take a year to study for the SSCP and CISSP and then get the full SSCP. You'll might be ready to take the CISSP exam by then too. I really don't think that having just the SSCP Associate on your resume will buy you much employment-wise.
  • KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    minimum 4 years experience and do not rush to CISSP. It is the experience that make you different than other. Security is not for everybody. CISSP class always filled up at the training center, but they forgot that you can't be CISSP unless you submit your endorsement by company.
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    Congrats on your degree, that's awesome.
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
    Kasor wrote:
    but they forgot that you can't be CISSP unless you submit your endorsement by company.
    Not true. It's not a company-oriented process. Any certified member of the (ISC)2 can endorse anyone else for certification. And you don't need the 4-5 years of experience to be a CISSP Associate of the (ISC)2.
  • drakhan2002drakhan2002 Member Posts: 111
    the_Grinch wrote:
    Yup graduate school is on the list just have to figure out what I want to go for.

Do it! And get your CISSP if you want to stay in security. The CISSP opened so many doors for me...and it still does. It *is* the golden ticket.
    the_Grinch wrote:
    I found various programs I am interested in and pretty sure I won't have any issues getting into them. As of now I am looking at: Masters in Competitive Intelligence, Masters in Emergency Management and Business Continuity (if I do this program it would be very easy to get a MS in Information Systems as well), or one of the various computing security programs I have looked at.

My Masters is in Information Asssurance, but the the Emergency Management and Business Continuity would be kick butt! I work in the Vulnerability Management realm (think anti-hacker...I work at financial institution), but our BCM (Business Contintuity Management) team is always looking for qualified people. And they make a very health living. Imagine if a financial institution (like your bank...or the stock market...etc.) suffered a disaster?! Wow...that's why you hire BCM folks. A Masters in that realm would probably provide you employment for life.
    It's not the moments of pleasure, it's the hours of pursuit...
  • SamCarterSamCarter Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats, the_Grinch! I am working on the same degree only with the Computing Technology concentration. I should be done in June. I also suck at math and hope to get a C- in 183. :) Glad to hear from someone that made it to the finish line.
    There is a light at the end of that tunnel man! Take 183 with Professor June Gordon if you can, she is the best!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • famosbrownfamosbrown Member Posts: 637
    Congratulations!!! There are so many opportunities for you now. Many corporations and companies are recruiting highly talented college graduates right out of school. Below are a couple of federal government opportunites.

http://www.dfas.mil/careers/college/graduates.html - for both undergrads and grads

http://www.defenselink.mil/cio-nii/sites/iasp/ - just found out about this program. This program recruits college graduates and send them to Grad school full-time while they get paid a regular salray as if they were working and not studying. Only one year commitment after completion of your grad education.

Good luck as you begin your successful career.
    B.S.B.A. (Management Information Systems)
    M.B.A. (Technology Management)