BSCI Next Monday - EDIT : Passed!!

gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
Well

Time is drawing to a close on my BSCI studies.

So far I feel very confident with EIGRP, OSPF, IS-IS, Router based DHCP.

I need some slight review on Multicast, and IPv6 (remembering all the various types of addresses)

Bit more work required with BGP, though it's just a routing protocol like the other three.. so it shouldn't be that hard.

Materials used so far: -

Cisco BSCI Exam Book
CCIE TCP/IP Routing (not a lot, but some)
BSCI Lab Portfolio + GNS
CBT Nuggets BSCI

Should be OK, I hope!!

Comments

• nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Good luck mate.

Ive been following your posts and you seem to be doing very well lately. The hard work will pay off.

Best of luck man!
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • kpjunglekpjungle Member Posts: 426
    Good luck on it!
    Studying for CCNP (All done)
  • gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    nel wrote:
    Good luck mate.

Ive been following your posts and you seem to be doing very well lately. The hard work will pay off.

Best of luck man!

Cheers :)

It's been a busy year this year: -

Vista MCTS in March
    New job in June
    CCNA in September
    Exchange 2007 MCTS in October
    BSCI December icon_neutral.gif
  • APAAPA Member Posts: 959
    good luck!

CCNA | CCNA:Security | CCNP | CCIP
    JNCIA:JUNOS | JNCIA:EX | JNCIS:ENT | JNCIS:SEC
    JNCIS:SP | JNCIP:SP
  • Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Good luck. I'm sure you'll do fine. Definitely hit Multicast. I labbed multicast quite a bit, and found the lab portion to really be helpful as it relates to the BSCI.
  • miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    Good luck
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Good luck!

Definitely study up on the BGP, IPv6 and multicasting. This is an exam you want to bee 100% on all topics before testing. I'm sure you will do fine though!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    good luck man!!
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good luck man. It's not as bad as people make it out to be...the reputation of this exam (IMO) comes more from the simple fact that this is the first pro level exam a lot of people take....

If you studied the blue print and put your time in on labs, you'll be fine.
  • gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good Luck! You've put a lot of hard work in
  • cdad2000cdad2000 Member Posts: 323
    Good luck!! Relax , pace yourself, and read everything clearly.
    Good luck man. It's not as bad as people make it out to be...the reputation of this exam (IMO) comes more from the simple fact that this is the first pro level exam a lot of people take....

If you studied the blue print and put your time in on labs, you'll be fine.

I agree about people finding it difficult due to it being their first pro level exam. I went the other route and did BCMSN first and I felt that one was more difficult then BSCI. It may have been due to the fact that the material wasn't as familiar to me as BSCI, but it may have had to due with the fact that it was my first pro exam also.
  • redwarriorredwarrior Member Posts: 285
    Good Luck!

I did ONT as my first pro exam under the assumption that it was the "easiest" of the exams...well I failed my first attempt. I think most of it was due to the fact that it was my first pro exam and I didn't realize how much different my study methods would need to be. I'm sure hanging out in this forum that you will be better prepared than I was and will kick this exam to the curb! :D

CCNP Progress

ONT, ISCW, BCMSN - DONE

BSCI - In Progress

http://www.redwarriornet.com/ <--My Cisco Blog
    Well I did the BSCI because I heard ISCW/ONT were the harder pair of the four, so wanted to do BSCI/BCMSN first.

This will be the first "Pro" level exam i've ever done, but I am not alien to certifications, so I should be OK.

Tonight I'm going to lab BGP, finishing tomorrow if I don't get it all done..

IPv6 shouldn't require much more work. Multicasting shouldn't be a big deal either, but more to do though...

Still, I'll keep you all posted.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Good Luck! icon_rendeer.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • mikearamamikearama Member Posts: 749
    Sounds like you have your head on straight regarding this exam. I used similar resources (Cert Guide, the Lab portfolio, and the Chris Bryant material), however, I totally underestimated the level of detail required to be memorized, and failed big time the first time around.

Stuck the landing on the second attempt, though.

Good luck to you.
    There are only 10 kinds of people... those who understand binary, and those that don't.

CCIE Studies: Written passed: Jan 21/12 Lab Prep: Hours reading: 385. Hours labbing: 110

Taking a time-out to add the CCVP. Capitalizing on a current IPT pilot project.
    Thanks for all the kind advice :)

The one thing I am worried about is how far the BSCI material goes in terms of BGP.

I know Cisco Trooper read far beyond, and he recommended the Doyle TCP/IP Routing volumes, hence I've been reading them some, but NOT A LOT...

Just hope I've read enough ... icon_neutral.gif

We shall soon see :)
  • PlazmaPlazma Member Posts: 503
    gorebrush wrote:
    Well

There is no such thing as a 'close' on any form of study :D
    CCIE - COMPLETED!
  • Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    gorebrush wrote:
    Thanks for all the kind advice :)

The one thing I am worried about is how far the BSCI material goes in terms of BGP.

I didn't find the depth of BGP on the BSCI to be anything to be feared..but I did feel the BSCI tested you hard on the fundamentals of BGP.
    Plazma wrote:
    gorebrush wrote:
    Well

There is no such thing as a 'close' on any form of study :D

Close is when your still going at 2:00am the night before ;)
  • kingpinofdiskskingpinofdisks Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just passed the BCSI recently. My printout showed 47% for BGP. It is the one protocol I just never have used in the real world one time. Probably cause I have never worked for an ISP :)

I nailed EIGRP (pronounced e-grip) and OSPF (pronounced os-pif) 100%, which is why I ended up passing with one of the lowest scores possible. But a pass is a pass!!!!

If you can nail 5 our of 6 categories with 90% plus, then doing poor on one category won't kill you.
    I'm not worried :)

I'm pretty confident. My only concern was if the BSCI book was poor compared to the exam in terms of how much they test BGP
    I just passed the BCSI recently. My printout showed 47% for BGP. It is the one protocol I just never have used in the real world one time. Probably cause I have never worked for an ISP :)

I nailed EIGRP (pronounced e-grip) and OSPF (pronounced os-pif) 100%, which is why I ended up passing with one of the lowest scores possible. But a pass is a pass!!!!

If you can nail 5 our of 6 categories with 90% plus, then doing poor on one category won't kill you.

How did you come up with those pronunciations? Maybe you were joking......
    I've always pronounced them E I G R P and err O S P F... like everyone else does icon_neutral.gif
    That pronunciation drives me about as nuts as the VPN videos on the ISCW study portion of Cisco's website where the lady keeps referring to an ACL as an "Ackle." I swear, I've never heard a person call them an "Ackle" except when they barely knew what they were talking about. It could just be a regional thing that I've only heard them called "Ay Cee Elll's," but it really drove me nuts! icon_lol.gif

CCNP Progress

ONT, ISCW, BCMSN - DONE

BSCI - In Progress

• JavonRJavonR Member Posts: 245
    I've heard the term "Nackle" referring to the named ACL configuration line.... but I think ackle would drive me insane :P
    Its kind of like how people pronounce BPDU.

I have always just pronounced it as the letters B-P-D-U. I have heard some people refer to it as a BiP-Doo though which always makes cringe.
  • JavonRJavonR Member Posts: 245
    Its kind of like how people pronounce BPDU.

I have always just pronounced it as the letters B-P-D-U. I have heard some people refer to it as a BiP-Doo though which always makes cringe.

LOL, that would surely warrant a 5+ second stare if I heard someone say that.
    Bip-Doo sounds like something my dog would do to our carpet. "Dang it, Clyde, why did you have to do a Bip-Doo on the rug?!!!"

CCNP Progress

ONT, ISCW, BCMSN - DONE

BSCI - In Progress

• kingpinofdiskskingpinofdisks Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□

How did you come up with those pronunciations? Maybe you were joking......

yep, I was joking - heard them on a Cisco tech support call years ago and have laughed about them ever since...

I can't believe anyone would post a reply to an admittedly stupid insider joke of mine from 10 years ago...