Options

GNS3- Saving the lab configuration

bronxbronx Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
Am using GNS3 for the first time. When I tried to save and exit the app, I lost the lab I had been working on. Is there a way around this or am I missing something?
___
THE BIGGEST RISK IN LIFE IS NOT TAKING ONE

Comments

• Options
    tomsettomset Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    When you begin a lab, select File -> "New project" and make sure that it automatically exports your configs once you save them (which is the default). Then just make sure you save when you're done and you should be good :)
    Next up:
    CCIP
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Alternatively..

In each router do a "copy runn st"

Then do an Export configs to a folder from within GNS3
  • Options
    jason_lundejason_lunde Member Posts: 567
    ya either of the above mentioned will work. I personnally will build my base lab with configs, and then do a "wr" or copy run start on each router. Then do a save project, make sure both check boxes are checked, and find a place to save it. This way when you open it the next time the routers are already booting from the startup config...you dont have to paste an exported config in every time. Just make sure you have meaningful names like OSPFnssa.net..etc...for your labs. You will see that saving a project will create multiple folders at your save point with that networks name.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Slightly off topic, but if you're just using plain old Dynagen and not GNS3, will a copy run start save your configs? I did that without doing anything else, and my configs have survived Dynamips restarts, etc. I wasn't expecting that behavior because of GNS3. Maybe I have a newer version than what was included with the GNS3 pack. I'm just getting acclimated to this and haven't really looked into it...
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    dynamik wrote:
    Slightly off topic, but if you're just using plain old Dynagen and not GNS3, will a copy run start save your configs? I did that without doing anything else, and my configs have survived Dynamips restarts, etc. I wasn't expecting that behavior because of GNS3. Maybe I have a newer version than what was included with the GNS3 pack. I'm just getting acclimated to this and haven't really looked into it...

You are correct. With Dynagen a simple copy run start will save your config.

I believe you used to have to specify the workingdir = in the net file in order for your copy run start to work correctly. It is all automatic in the newer versions though.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    bronxbronx Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks a lot. Am just trying out that from am sure it will work...
    ___
    THE BIGGEST RISK IN LIFE IS NOT TAKING ONE