Passed the ONT!

Met44Met44 Member Posts: 194
I am very relieved to be able to say that I passed the ONT exam this morning! This was my first CCNP test - and it has truly made me appreciate the dedication that must go into completing the certification.

Notes for others... the majority of my studying was from the Network Academy ONT course (which I aced). I used the Cisco Press Official Exam book for review, and Dynamips for additional labs beyond the course labs. I've been working heavily with VoIP (but not much QoS) for around 6-8 months.

If I could change one thing about my preparation for this exam it would be this: I really neglected wireless management and security ("how much can really be on a QoS exam?" I wondered). Well, don't do that.

Next up will be the ISCW, planned for late May. I was considering pursuing the CCNA Voice, but the objectives don't match as well as I had hoped with ONT, and I would have to complete it before classes resume in mid-January. Instead, I'll just get a head start on the ISCW.

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Congrats on the pass!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    congrats man!! I'm studying for this one now.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations! icon_rendeer.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • mikearamamikearama Member Posts: 749
    Yeah, I'm into this one as well to finish my NP.

So bigtime congrats.
    There are only 10 kinds of people... those who understand binary, and those that don't.

CCIE Studies: Written passed: Jan 21/12 Lab Prep: Hours reading: 385. Hours labbing: 110

Taking a time-out to add the CCVP. Capitalizing on a current IPT pilot project.
  • redwarriorredwarrior Member Posts: 285
    Woo-hoo! Another person, who, like me, has decided to buck tradition by going after their PNCC!
    icon_lol.gif

I think no matter what exam you choose as your first professional level exam, it is a bit of a shock how much more intense these exams are than the associate level exams. I guess that is why they are respected so well and why we want to earn them so much?

Good luck with your ISCW studies...I found them a nice transition from the ONT.

CCNP Progress

ONT, ISCW, BCMSN - DONE

BSCI - In Progress

http://www.redwarriornet.com/ <--My Cisco Blog
  • Met44Met44 Member Posts: 194
    Thanks for the replies all :)
  • laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    mikej412 wrote:
    Congratulations! icon_rendeer.gif

mike you really love those icons dont ya....

congrats to the op well done fella icon_smile.gif
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • redwarriorredwarrior Member Posts: 285
    They're so festive! icon_santa.gif

CCNP Progress

ONT, ISCW, BCMSN - DONE

BSCI - In Progress

http://www.redwarriornet.com/ <--My Cisco Blog
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    mike you really love those icons dont ya....
    I didn't get my decorations up outside before the snow(s), so I'm compensating with festive holiday Emoticons icon_rendeer.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • livenliven Member Posts: 918
    what was you lab setup like?
    encrypt the encryption, never mind my brain hurts.
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    ONT was my favorite CCNP exam :) I saved it for last, however. If you liked the ONT you should take the QoS exam.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Met44Met44 Member Posts: 194
    what was you lab setup like?

I usually just used one or two routers on dynamips so that I could practice typing the commands, and using/looking through the content of the show commands. That was great practice, and it's nice to be able to start up dynamips to review command syntax or test something out.

The class allowed for the use of some physical hardware... typically three routers and two switches were used, but I think Cisco's labs overcomplicated the topology as much as it focused on the ONT content. I didn't find it necessary to use more than one switch and one or two routers when practicing at home. The Pagent IOS (traffic generator) was typically used on at least one router during class labs to simulate a production network's traffic.
  • PlazmaPlazma Member Posts: 503
    Congrats!
    CCIE - COMPLETED!