USB console cable

KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
Found this handy little cable for connecting console cables to the modern PCs which don't come with serial ports anymore.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=29968
Kam.

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Welcome to the future icon_cool.gif
  • KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    dynamik wrote:

meow icon_rolleyes.gif
    Kam.
  • malcyboodmalcybood Member Posts: 900 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've just been using mine for the first time today - it was a pain having to boot my work laptop every time I wanted to console in and having study materials on my own laptop! I am guted to see it has been reduced from £6.44 which I paid for it last week to £2.16 though!!! Every penny counts haha

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00077DJIQ

Some of these USB - Serial converters don't seem to work and some don't support the Cisco break key sequence so make sure they have reviews or you check with the source that they support Cisco kit.

The one I got had a review from a guy who bought it solely to config Cisco gear so pretty reliable.

I did have to tweak the Com port in Device Manager when I installed it though as when it installed initially it picked up on Com8 and Teraterm (or the version I have anyway) only supports up to Com4 icon_confused.gif

Anyone who needs to know how to do that you go to control panel - system - hardware - device manager

go into the properties of the USB to serial convertor (Com8 or what ever it picked), port settings - advenced and change the Com port number to 1 - 4. It will tell you if there are any in use.

I've had issues where Microsoft Activesync and other programs using the com port are listening and prevent you to connecting in via terminal.

Tip of the day, hopefully it'll help someone :D
  • laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    been using these for a while now, and once youve got the right driver installed there normally a breeze to use icon_smile.gif
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Kaminsky wrote:
    dynamik wrote:

meow icon_rolleyes.gif
    Don't mind dynamik, he's suffering from rambling-post-withdrawal. I haven't made him sit through a three-hour response in a few weeks and he's getting cranky. icon_lol.gif

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    The vast majority of USB to serial adapters are either based on a Prolific or FTDI chip. If you're using Vista and have a Prolific adapter then use Windows Update since Prolific don't have the driver on their site for some reason. I wouldn't bother with the CD that usually comes with the adapter as it tends to be out of date.