Book recommendation for learning Cisco CallManager basics

Is there one book over another which is better for learning Cisco CallManager (4.1)? I know really nothing about the ins and outs of the program, and to start with I'm not really looking for an encyclopedia of every tiny nook and cranny of CCM, like some of Cisco's books want to do. However, if there's a book which has a very easy-to-understand author, that would be fine, too. I've seen some of Cisco's textbooks on "learning CCM", but I'm reluctant to get them, since they're quite pricey.

Any suggestions would help.
"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." - Popular Mechanics, 1949

Comments

• empc4000xlempc4000xl Member Posts: 322
    Is there one book over another which is better for learning Cisco CallManager (4.1)? I know really nothing about the ins and outs of the program, and to start with I'm not really looking for an encyclopedia of every tiny nook and cranny of CCM, like some of Cisco's books want to do. However, if there's a book which has a very easy-to-understand author, that would be fine, too. I've seen some of Cisco's textbooks on "learning CCM", but I'm reluctant to get them, since they're quite pricey.

Any suggestions would help.

I use the CIPT book, and I had the introduction to IP telephony book, but it doesn't cover call manager. If you really want to get into the guts of call manager you need to get it installed on a system or buy a used one online. that is the best way. I know you mentioned 4, but your best bet is to learn how everything works using CCM6 since its the easies to get going on VMware, and apply the fundamentals or calling seach spaces, route plans and other stuff to CCM 4.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    The Cisco CallManager Administration Guide is a great resource. The best part is its free!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If you're going to take the 642-444 CIPT exam then you better get Cisco IP Telephony (CIPT) (Authorized Self-Study), 2nd Edition.

If you want another book to help with CallManager Configuration, then Configuring CallManager and Unity: A Step-by-Step Guide is a good book.

Cisco Press has Cisco CallManager Fundamentals, 2nd Edition listed as a suggested book. It may help with some of the background/general theory type of questions that may be on the exam. I liked the first 2 better for the nuts & bolts hands-on learning and operation of CallManager stuff.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • CrunchyhippoCrunchyhippo Member Posts: 389
    mikej412 wrote:
    If you're going to take the 642-444 CIPT exam then you better get Cisco IP Telephony (CIPT) (Authorized Self-Study), 2nd Edition.

If you want another book to help with CallManager Configuration, then Configuring CallManager and Unity: A Step-by-Step Guide is a good book.

Cisco Press has Cisco CallManager Fundamentals, 2nd Edition listed as a suggested book. It may help with some of the background/general theory type of questions that may be on the exam. I liked the first 2 better for the nuts & bolts hands-on learning and operation of CallManager stuff.

Do one of these book suggestions have more photos of the actual CCM screens than another? Considering the GUI interfaces, I think it would help me in learing how to navigate.
    "Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." - Popular Mechanics, 1949
    The first book is bigger, and the 2nd book is 1/2 Unity. So I'd say the Authorized Self Study Book.

But the 2nd book has lots of "steps" to follow, so it may still be useful to get as a 2nd book even though only 1/2 of it is on CallManager.
  • FlyingputFlyingput Member Posts: 114 ■■■□□□□□□□
    By the way, CBT nuggets' CIPT video is very very good. When I was working on 642-444, I set up 2 used Dell 440 servers (the lowest level) and follow Jeremy step by step.
  • CrunchyhippoCrunchyhippo Member Posts: 389
    Flyingput wrote:
    By the way, CBT Nuggets' CIPT video is very very good. When I was working on 642-444, I set up 2 used Dell 440 servers (the lowest level) and follow Jeremy step by step.

I don't know if it's allowable to say or not, but since CIPT goes over so much of CCM, and since CCM is a GUI program, is the Cisco test primarily GUI, also?
    since CIPT goes over so much of CCM, and since CCM is a GUI program, is the Cisco test primarily GUI, also?
    Nope -- that would make it too easy if you could look at the menus or screens. icon_rendeer.gif

But the more time you spend working with CallManager while reading and studying, the easier the exam will be.

Unless Cisco has changed the exams drastically, it should be similar to what you've already been through with the CCNA and CVOICE -- the standard mix of multiple choice, drag 'n drop, and possible Simlets, Testlets, and SIMS.