1 test vs. 2 test???

MikeSellarsMikeSellars Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm curious if someone could shed some light on the pros and cons of the CCNA and ICND1 & 2.

Is is a totally different test, is the cost more or the same.

I have co-workers come back from CCNA bootcamps with the ICND 1 & 2 books, and tell me you get the CCNET then the CCNA.

I just trying to formulate a plan of attack for this exam.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• StovokorStovokor Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Per the Cisco site there are different areas that are covered on the ICND1 and the ICND2 test.

http://cisco.com/web/learning/le3/le2/le0/le9/learning_certification_type_home.html

I got my CCNA when it was still the 640-801 and there was a similar separation of test under the old CCNA exam. Personally I would study the material and shoot for the 640-802 straight out and get it taken care of. Some my beg to differ but If you take the 1 exam then you are done with it and can move on to the next level.

I used the Todd Lammle series of books for my exam and he covered mostly everything from that was needed to past the test (the NAT portion was not that strong to me).

I am not sure of the cost of the test I will have to leave that to the ones on the forum that have taken the 2 test vs. the 1. Good luck on your path.
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    If you take the two exam option then you will do ICND1 and ICND2. After you pass the first exam then you'll get CCENT. Once you pass the 2nd exam then you'll get CCNA.

If you take the one exam option then it will be a combined ICND1+ICND2 exam. Once you pass it then you'll get CCNA. You don't get CCENT.

Cost is the same. You're paying 2x for the one exam option. It used to be that all 3 exams cost the same but they changed it recently.

As for which route you want, it is up to you. If you prefer to get everything done in one go then take the one exam route. If you want to split it into smaller segments then take the two exam route. If you want CCENT as well as your CCNA then it will be the two exam route.
  • MikeSellarsMikeSellars Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank to both for the information, since I let my 801 CCNA expire, I'll more than likely just go with the one test.

Again thank you for the links, and information.
  • tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953
    I'm curious if someone could shed some light on the pros and cons of the CCNA and ICND1 & 2.

Is is a totally different test, is the cost more or the same.

I have co-workers come back from CCNA bootcamps with the ICND 1 & 2 books, and tell me you get the CCNET then the CCNA.

I just trying to formulate a plan of attack for this exam.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

MikeSellars,

What's your background?
  • JavonRJavonR Member Posts: 245
    I would personally go the two exam route - 1 extra line on the resume :).
    JavonR wrote:
    Having CCNA implies that you've got CCENT.
  • JavonRJavonR Member Posts: 245
    tiersten wrote:
    JavonR wrote:

I realize that, but most HR people do not :). At the end of the day it's one more thing to set you apart from the crowd, from an HR stand point anyway.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    tiersten wrote:
    I have a CCNA and I don't have a CCENT icon_rendeer.gif

If you're just starting out in IT, you may as well take the 2 exam approach and get the extra resume candy.

If you have lots of existing networking experience (or an old expired CCNA) then you might take the 1 exam -- unless you also have some space on your resume you want to fill up.

icon_santa.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
    mikej412 wrote:
    tiersten wrote:
    I have a CCNA and I don't have a CCENT icon_rendeer.gif

If you're just starting out in IT, you may as well take the 2 exam approach and get the extra resume candy.

If you have lots of existing networking experience (or an old expired CCNA) then you might take the 1 exam -- unless you also have some space on your resume you want to fill up.

icon_santa.gif
    Okay. Bad wording. Having CCNA implies that you're able to do CCENT.
  • MikeSellarsMikeSellars Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    tech-airman,

My background is was mainly in the Windows environment (6 1/2 years), althought I went through the old Cisco Academy (2000) while working for the Air Force and also recieved my CCNA (801 version). I just completed Security+ (2007). I have 2 years working with HP and EMC SANS.
    For the past 1 1/2 I'm working with firewalls, and proxy servers, SSLVPNS and email spam.

Hope this answers your question.
  • tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953
    tech-airman,

My background is was mainly in the Windows environment (6 1/2 years), althought I went through the old Cisco Academy (2000) while working for the Air Force and also recieved my CCNA (801 version). I just completed Security+ (2007). I have 2 years working with HP and EMC SANS.
    For the past 1 1/2 I'm working with firewalls, and proxy servers, SSLVPNS and email spam.

Hope this answers your question.

MikeSellars,

You mentioned "...and also received my CCNA (801 version)..." I have a follow up question:
    1. When did you take and pass the 640-801 CCNA exam?

Be advised that as a Cisco Networking Academy Alumni that you should have access to the current Cisco Networking Academy CCNA Exploration or CCNA Discovery curriculum materials at http://cisco.netacad.net. Just use the same Username and Password you used back in 2000 then on the right column under "Resources" click on _Course Materials_. Does this advice help?