Options

CompTIA A+ Drive Initialization in RAID

grannystudent56grannystudent56 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am a beginners beginner. Could you please help me. Initialization is RAID is this the same as configuration or done before configuration. I think I understand you cannot configure the RAID until You initialize. Is that just simply turn on the system

Comments

• Options
    whitespiderwhitespider Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Wow, this is a pretty good question. I know that you initialize a disk in windows disk management, but as for raids.. i believe only the server versions could do raids, as for seeing a raid in windows... that beats me.

Have you tried googling creatively?

Does anyone else understand this? Maybe i'm reading it wrong. haha.
    Essentials passed on 12/19/08 - scored 845
    Studying for IT (602)
  • Options
    m1chaelm1chael Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Wow, this is a pretty good question. I know that you initialize a disk in windows disk management, but as for raids.. i believe only the server versions could do raids, as for seeing a raid in windows... that beats me.

Have you tried googling creatively?

Does anyone else understand this? Maybe i'm reading it wrong. haha.

For software RAID, you can use XP....only supports 0 (which is considered Striping) if I remember correctly and you would need to use dynamic disc and then set to RAID 0 through Disk Management.

You can also purchase RAID controllers which is considered the hardware version.

Michael
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    WOW, is this on the A+ now?! icon_eek.gif Yeesh, I'm glad I took it under 2003 objectives...
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    m1chaelm1chael Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
    skrpune wrote:
    WOW, is this on the A+ now?! icon_eek.gif Yeesh, I'm glad I took it under 2003 objectives...

Yes, the objectives state you need to know RAID but I only received one question about it and it was very very easy. So I personally would not put a lot of emphasis on it and just know RAID 0, 1, and 5.......for instance 0 is striping at least 2 drives, 1 is mirroring at least 2 drives, and 5 is striped disks with parity and at least 3 drives.

Other than that would not worry myself with it to much:)

Michael
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    yeah, I realize that RAID is on the A+ and always has been, I was questioning whether A+ now goes into this kind of detail. I thought it was just that you had to know what RAID 0, 1, 3, 5 are and how many disks there are, etc. & not the actual how-to implementation of RAID.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion