Maybe the third time will be a charm

sboykinssboykins Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone,

I really need help...I failed my Security+ exam for the second time (620 score)...Granted the first time I didn't take the test seriously. I am relatively new to the security field, but I want to grow in knowledge and understanding. I do work as a Security Analyst, basically I do internal auditing and vulnerability assessment scans. I feel like I am at the bottom and I really want to work my way to the top....I need to pass my certification to move forward in my career and re-gain confidence in myself. I am confused as to how I should study, should I get another book, software, etc...your advice is greatly appreciated. :)

I used the following study materials.
CompTia- Security+ certification study guide – book really sucked
Mike Myers – Security+ - excellent book
Introduction to Network Security+ - good book
Security+ for dummies – not so good study material

Comments

• gwamakagwamaka Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Do you have any background in networking? I have noticed that people who have little background or experience in networking tend to have a little difficulty in the Security+ exam. You may think of doing Network+ or even CCNA prior to doing Security+. A lot of this will make sense and you will have a much easier time with the Security+ exam.

You may also try to use the Syngress Security+ study guide , as it is very comprehensive compared to other guides such as the Sybex study guide. Try to get hold of the transcender practice exams for Security +, they have very good practice questions and they provide good explanation of the concepts.

HTH

sboykins wrote:
    Hello everyone,

I really need help...I failed my Security+ exam for the second time (620 score)...Granted the first time I didn't take the test seriously. I am relatively new to the security field, but I want to grow in knowledge and understanding. I do work as a Security Analyst, basically I do internal auditing and vulnerability assessment scans. I feel like I am at the bottom and I really want to work my way to the top....I need to pass my certification to move forward in my career and re-gain confidence in myself. I am confused as to how I should study, should I get another book, software, etc...your advice is greatly appreciated. :)

I used the following study materials.
    CompTia- Security+ certification study guide – book really sucked
    Mike Myers – Security+ - excellent book
    Introduction to Network Security+ - good book
    Security+ for dummies – not so good study material
  • sboykinssboykins Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I totally agree, I think my little knowledge in networking is affecting me negatively. I have a little background in Networking. I plan to take the Network+ after the Security+ certification...I have to pass the Security+ certification for my job, it is now a requirement. I am taking the Security+ again Jan 23...
  • gwamakagwamaka Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If thats the case, I would try and acquire the Snygress Security+ book and the Transcender practice exams to brush up on the topics and fill the knowledge gaps you might have prior to taking the exam again.

Are you taking the 2007 or 2008 Security + exam version?

sboykins wrote:
    I totally agree, I think my little knowledge in networking is affecting me negatively. I have a little background in Networking. I plan to take the Network+ after the Security+ certification...I have to pass the Security+ certification for my job, it is now a requirement. I am taking the Security+ again Jan 23...
  • cbigbrickcbigbrick Member Posts: 284
    gwamaka wrote:
    If thats the case, I would try and acquire the Snygress Security+ book and the Transcender practice exams to brush up on the topics and fill the knowledge gaps you might have prior to taking the exam again.

Are you taking the 2007 or 2008 Security + exam version?

+1 on the Snygress and Transcender. Also take a look at all the people in this thread that have passed this exam in the last 2-3 months. That will give you an idea of what the most used resources are. Don't forget to Google or Wikipedia those things you don't know.

Good luck!!
    And in conclusion your point was.....???

Don't get so upset...it's just ones and zeros.
    Security+ 2007
  • impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Let me tell you how I passed the second time:

I read Sybex two or three times
    Sybex fast pass around 5 to 6 times
    Syngress around 3 times

I make my own exam cram with Syngress, I read the pdf file and copy in a word document the important parts and read it atound 3 to 4 times each chapter that I created. Also I used the flash cards, it help me a lot.

I also used Exam Cram 2 version and print all the chapters from PDF file and tried to answered all the question and tried to understand why was the right answer.

Try to understand very well cryptographic and Operational/Organizational, that is the most hard part, make your own tables with the information. For each chapter make your memory page, this is the last page to cram, the most important points that you know you need to remember.

After you do that one week before begin again with the exam simulator, do not to it right now because you will memorize the questions and answer and you do not want to do it that because those questions will not be in the exam, you need to understand the reason.

This exams is very difficult, especailly for me, English is not my language, so I had to do 2x effort to pass it. You will able to do it. do not listen your hart about that you will notable to pass, repeate many times yourself: "I have to pass this exam, I have to understan the material like if I am the teacher."

You'll pass
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Are you doing self-studying? Do you have any working experience in IT security or basic security class on Windows Environment or any NOS that you are working on.

The S+ required 2 yrs experience and Network+. It is not the materials or the study guide. It is you that not really for the exam. Remember general concern on IT sercurity can only be gain by experience not by book.
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
    Thank Raul i will give your advice a try.... :o
    Yes, i am self-studying, unfortunately, i do not have time to take a Networking class. As i mentioned before my job is on the line. I have 2 years experience in Security and none in Networking, which is my down fall. But i am determined to pass this time around.
  • ULWizULWiz Member Posts: 722
    I am sure you will nail it this time around. 3rd time has to be the charm here. Take a look at the objectives again and focus on those. Would also recommend that you take a look at your score sheet to see where you failed mostly on the last two exams and then focus on those areas.

Wish you the best of Luck

Have a Happy Holiday and a Good New Year
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    CompTIA Network+ March 7, 2008
    MCTS Vista 620 June 14, 2008
    MCP Server 290 Nov 15, 2008
    MCP Server 291 In Progress (Exam 12/28/09)
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    MCP Server 291 In Progress
    C|EH In Progress
  • KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    No networking experience, but two years in IT security. Did u see the problem here...?
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • goforthbmerrygoforthbmerry Member Posts: 244
    If you have been doing security for 2 years you should definately have enough networking for the security+ cert. I recommend the Transcender test or some other quality test. It really helped me nail the cert. I thought the Transcender test was actually harder than the cert exam. I used both the Syngress and the Sybex books. They compliment each other well.

Good Luck
    Going for MCSE:security, Intermediate ITIL, PMP
  • networking247networking247 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    As long as you don't look to deep into the questions and take you time you should def. be fine. Just make sure you think like the book materials you read not you natural IT reaction. Also - concentrate on policy and access control like RBAC, MAC, etc. and then just know basic port numbers and basic networking tech. and you should do good!

Good Luck - !
    Thanks for your replies...I will take them all into consideration.