What's in and What's not?

miclchmiclch Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi,
I am taking the two tests option for the CCNA.
Since I am taking the two tests options, I would like to focus on one exam at a time. However, the objectives on the CCNA website is very vague.
So, can anyone gives the a clear statement of..
What topics are FOR SURE IN and FOR SURE NOT IN the first CCNA test?
What topics are FOR SURE IN and FOR SURE NOT IN the second CCNA test?
Thank you.

Comments

• tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953
    miclch wrote:
    Hi,
    I am taking the two tests option for the CCNA.
    Since I am taking the two tests options, I would like to focus on one exam at a time. However, the objectives on the CCNA website is very vague.
    So, can anyone gives the a clear statement of..
    Thank you.

miclch,

What do you mean by "...FOR SURE NOT...?"
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/current_exams/640-822.html
    http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/current_exams/640-816.html

Expect to know everything in ICND1 for ICND2 though. You probably won't get asked about those items directly, but the ICND2 material builds on the foundation that's set in ICND1. If you don't understand that material, you're not going to do well with ICND2. I'd consider ICND2 to include everything.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    miclch wrote:
    There is a pool of test questions. Just because someone else didn't get a question that they would think is related to a specific topic on the exam blueprint doesn't mean you won't.

Plus there are these things known as the Cisco Candidate Conduct Policy and the Cisco Career Certifications and Confidentiality Agreement (aka NDA) -- so anyone who has taken the exam(s) can't tell you what they saw.

Cisco Candidate Conduct Policy
    No candidate will take any action that will compromise the integrity or confidentiality of a Cisco Certification examination or otherwise compromise the integrity of the Cisco Certification program. Such actions include but are not limited to:
    • Disseminating actual exam content via web postings, discussion groups, chat rooms, study guides, etc.

Cisco Career Certifications and Confidentiality Agreement
    You agree that the contents of the exam are confidential and that the disclosure of that information could compromise the integrity of the Program and of Certifications. Cisco makes exams available to you solely to test your knowledge of the exam subject matter for which you seek Certification. You are expressly prohibited from disclosing, publishing, reproducing, or transmitting any exam and any related information including, without limitation, questions, answers, worksheets, computations, drawings, diagrams, length or number of exam segments or questions, or any communication, including oral communication regarding or related to the exam (known collectively as “Proprietary Information”), in whole or in part, in any form or by any means, oral or written, electronic or mechanical, for any purpose, without the prior express written permission of Cisco.

icon_rendeer.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • miclchmiclch Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for answering my question.

There seems to be a confusion about my question.
    What I mean is I would like to skip studying some topics for ICND 1, like WAN or Frame Relay that are focused on ICND 2?

What topics can I skip so that I can focused on topics for ICND 1?
    Also, the reason why I am asking is that I have this CCNA book that does not seperate ICND1 and ICND2 accordingly. It would be inefficient to study every chapters and take just the ICND1.
  • JavonRJavonR Member Posts: 245
    The best you can do is follow the objectives on cisco's website - either way you slice it, there will be some overlap if you have an all-in-one book. Usually with these books they will combine topics every chapter, at the end of the day you gotta learn it all anyways, so it's not really a downside. It will just give you a deeper understanding for your ICND1 test :) Good luck.
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    miclch wrote:
    Also, the reason why I am asking is that I have this CCNA book that does not seperate ICND1 and ICND2 accordingly. It would be inefficient to study every chapters and take just the ICND1.

Check out the links dynamik gave, and you should be able to pick out the topics accordingly. You should also be able to check the table of contents of the book, depending on the publisher, to see if they mention which chapters cover what topics and towards what test(s). I believe the Lammle book does it this way, (the Cisco Press books are split up into ICND1 and ICND2).
    dynamik wrote:

Incidentally, which book(s) are you using?

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    There is an exam blueprint for ICND1 and there is an exam blueprint for ICND2.

If you don't want to study the WAN topics on the ICND1 blueprint, that's your option.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • mamonomamono Member Posts: 776 ■■□□□□□□□□
    There is some overlap between ICND1 and ICND2, that can't be helped. You are eventually going to study ICND2 material while studying for ICND1. Might as well over study by reading that CCNA book that you have. What you could do is mark all chapters that are obviously in the ICND1 from the Cisco website, paying special attention to chapters that you marked, and then skim all other chapters that you did not mark.
    Thank you for all your replies. I am using Sybex CCNA book.
  • tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953
    miclch wrote:

miclch,

If you got the Cisco Press books, they would have separated into 640-822 ICND1 and 640-816 ICND2 materials.